• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-Assigning Mod Wheel in Aria 1.500

Share/Bookmark

Re-Assigning Mod Wheel in Aria 1.500

Just purchased GCPO & while playing aroung with it using the Aria 64x player, I seem to be unable to get the mod wheel to change assignment so I can use the crescendo pedal. My KeyRig 49 controller doesn't have an expression pedal, so I'm attempting to use the mod wheel for this function but can't get it to work. The only thing it seems to control is Tremulant Intensity. Any suggestions? Ideas? Thanks.
    Calaf49
    Finale 2012b w/ GPO 4 + GCPO 1.0
    Dell XPS 8300 w/ 16GB RAM, Intel i7 2600CPU @ 3.4GHz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    M-Audio KeyRig 49 Keyboard

Re: Re-Assigning Mod Wheel in Aria 1.500

Quote Originally Posted by calaf49 View Post
    Just purchased GCPO & while playing aroung with it using the Aria 64x player, I seem to be unable to get the mod wheel to change assignment so I can use the crescendo pedal. My KeyRig 49 controller doesn't have an expression pedal, so I'm attempting to use the mod wheel for this function but can't get it to work. The only thing it seems to control is Tremulant Intensity. Any suggestions? Ideas? Thanks.
    Hi, Calaf

I just looked up info on your keyboard to see if the Mod Wheel on it is assignable, and at the M-Audio site it says that both it and the volume slider are.

The Wheel defaults to sending out CC1, and as you can see, in the Pipe Organs Library that controls the Tremolo amount. The Volume slider defaults to sending out CC7, which controls the volume faders in ARIA.

But since M-Audio says those two controls on your keyboard are assignable, you need to take a look at the keyboard's instruction manual and see how to re-program either the Mod Wheel or Volume Slider, setting whichever one you to want to use to CC11 - that's the MIDI Control number that controls the Crescendo Pedal.

Randy

Thanks for the advice. I'd already tried using the methods indicated in the user's guide which didn't appear to work. Suddenly this morning, the crescendo pedal works.
    Calaf49
    Finale 2012b w/ GPO 4 + GCPO 1.0
    Dell XPS 8300 w/ 16GB RAM, Intel i7 2600CPU @ 3.4GHz
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    M-Audio KeyRig 49 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by calaf49 View Post
    ... Suddenly this morning, the crescendo pedal works.
    Good, Calaf - Sounds like you successfully re-assigned either the Mod Wheel or the Volume Slider to CC11.

I looked up your keyboard's manual online, and here's some very important info about re-assigning:

"... PLEASE NOTE: Each time the keyboard is turned off, optional MIDI parameters assigned to
    the Volume slider or Modulation wheel will be lost. Each time the keyboard is powered up, the
    Volume slider will default to being assigned to Volume (MIDI CC 07), and the Modulation Wheel will default to being assigned to modulation (MIDI CC 01)..."

In other words, you'll need to set up CC11 every time you turn the keyboard on. That's no big deal though. Programming seems simple enough:

"...To assign a MIDI controller message to the Modulation wheel:

1. Press the Edit Mode button.

2. Press the black key above C4 (C#4), representing “WHEEL ASSIGN.”

3. Use the Numerical Data Entry keys G3 – B4 to enter the number of the MIDI controller you want to assign to the Modulation wheel

4. Press the ENTER key (C5).

5. Move the Modulation wheel upwards to increase the value of the MIDI message sent.

If you make an error while entering the numerical data value, you can press the CANCEL key (C1) to exit Edit mode without changing the MIDI CC assigned to the Modulation wheel..."

Randy

Go Back to forum