• Register
  • Help

Topic: Comments/advice needed!

Share/Bookmark

Comments/advice needed!

Hi all,

I was wondering if this is a good plan:

1. Buy Kompakt, then I get full orchestra. Can replace brass or enhance with BoB.
    2. After few months of saving buy EWQLSO strings.
    3. etc.

What I need now is to get my foot through the doors of film producers etc., I was wondering if I could use Kompackt to do that then just improve the quality of my orchestra as I get more gigs and bucks.

Is this stupid plan or a good one?

Btw. remember I\'m on tight budget!

Re: Comments/advice needed!

Oh, such a tough question! My feelings is every dollar wasted on not buying what you need is... well...a dollar wasted not buying what you need. I\'d rather save for 3 months and get what I need, instead of spending money now producing stuff that\'s not going to impress. BUT, at the same time, the more you practice, the better off you are too.

Can you take a loan out at all? Credit good enough? That might help you move forward faster. And good luck, it\'s such a tough call on that.

Devon

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Hi all,

I was wondering if this is a good plan:

1. Buy Kompakt, then I get full orchestra. Can replace brass or enhance with BoB.
    2. After few months of saving buy EWQLSO strings.
    3. etc.

What I need now is to get my foot through the doors of film producers etc., I was wondering if I could use Kompackt to do that then just improve the quality of my orchestra as I get more gigs and bucks.

Is this stupid plan or a good one?

Btw. remember I\'m on tight budget!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m in a similar boat to you. Some differences perhaps: I\'ve been working with less than ideal sounds for years now. I have been produced (not that I have any clue whether you have or not) ...but only poor paying, low status jobs. I AM taking out a loan to get what I need/want in sounds.

I\'ve concluded the following:

They say that producers are able to look past the quality of the sounds to hear the capabilities of the composer. This is a big, fat, stinking lie.

Maybe one in a thousand producers could do that. But its been my experience that any weakness in the demos you produce with be the ONLY thing they comment on. The more perfect you can make your demos, the more likely your chances of success. Producers have no idea if you only used one chord the entire piece. But they sure as shooting know if your trombone sounds like a computer\'s generating it.

So I have to agree, take out a loan. Do what you have to to ensure quality in ALL aspects of your works. Beg, borrow or steal (well...maybe not steal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) what you need to to get there.

That\'s my opinion...for what it\'s worth.

p.s. I\'m not recommending, by any means, only using one chord throughout your entire piece -- just in case that wasn\'t clear. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and one other thing. If one does get produced, the final product being as close to perfect as possible will help in future \'foot in the door\' attempts as well. Whereas if you have something produced that\'s embarrassing because it sounds like crap (an situation with which I\'m all too familiar) ...well, you know what I mean. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Folk prohet wrote:
    p.s. I\'m not recommending, by any means, only using one chord throughout your entire piece -- just in case that wasn\'t clear.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well some chef d\'oeuvres are based on just one chord [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (voire Grisey)
    Markus.

Falcon, if u dont mind me saying I would get KOntakt before Kompakt. u`ll be able to do more with it than Kompakt And if u do buy then u can get the NI special offer crossgrade to KOmpakt and get the library for $99 U.S(the kontakt libs.a little lame).Kontakt 1.3 will open the door to ALL the orch LIbs. so its best to look out for the future.I bought it about a year ago and i still use it almost EVERY DAY.Its the most flexable VST sampler out there..Rich

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    )Kontakt 1.3 will open the door to ALL the orch LIbs. so its best to look out for the future.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What orchestral libraries won\'t work with Kompakt? The main limitation of Kompakt that concerns me is not being able to edit/create keyswitched programs. Is there something else I\'m missing?

Go Back to forum