• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Die Kunst der Fuge - Bach

Share/Bookmark

Die Kunst der Fuge - Bach

Garritan Harpsichord.
    Dedicated to Gary Garritan (I sent this to the company some years ago).

Die Kunst der Fuge - Bach

Raymond

Re: Die Kunst der Fuge - Bach

Raymond! I picked a few pieces to listen to. A long time ago, I would spend hours and hours just listening Bach's counterpoint techniques. I wore out the "Art of the Fugue", "Goldberg variations" and many other fugal pieces that he wrote. It is nostalgic for me to hear Bach's music on garritan harpsichord. You must have spent a lot of time on this project. Well done. Thanks for posting. Jay

Raymond;
    I haven't listened to all of them, but what I have heard sounds exceedingly noble and good!
    What a project that must have been!!
    Thank you for sharing!

Take care,
    sd cisco

Yes, indeed a lot of work. Used the Werckmeister III tuning and that gave me headaches. Somebody had to explain to me the use of "cents" in tuning. Because of this tuning, I had to divide the tonal scale into 12 tracks, for each of the soprano notes and again 12 tracks for bass notes. Luckily SONAR had that function. I ended up with 24 tracks (you know, the complete scale for both hands). With the two pieces for 2 harpsichords I had to double this of course.Every note on the scale had its own tuning and its own occurence of ARIA (or was it Kontakt 2, can't remember). Can you imagine a project with 24 instances of ARIA/Kontakt?

For the necessary clicks of the mechanism I used the sound of the valves of the Jazz Alto Sax (at that time I had the JABB). This played along with all soprano keys. There was also a second file involved with other sounds, mimicing the mechanism of the harpsichord..... in total "just a lot of work." Reverb added, Perfect Space?

First I had to copy all fugues - some study needed, because I wanted having it as close as possible to Bach's writing - into a notation program. The rest is obvious.

The SONAR project does't exist anymore, luckily I had the result on my HD's and they will stay there for ever. This is a sequence of pieces not often heard and a "this is a must be" for music students.

Glad you liked it.
    Long live the Garritan Listening Room.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Yes, indeed a lot of work. Used the Werckmeister III tuning and that gave me headaches. Somebody had to explain to me the use of "cents" in tuning. Because of this tuning, I had to divide the tonal scale into 12 tracks, for each of the soprano notes and again 12 tracks for bass notes. Luckily SONAR had that function. I ended up with 24 tracks (you know, the complete scale for both hands). With the two pieces for 2 harpsichords I had to double this of course.Every note on the scale had its own tuning and its own occurrence of ARIA (or was it Kontakt 2, can't remember). Can you imagine a project with 24 instances of ARIA/Kontakt?

For the necessary clicks of the mechanism I used the sound of the valves of the Jazz Alto Sax (at that time I had the JABB). This played along with all soprano keys. There was also a second file involved with other sounds, mimicing the mechanism of the harpsichord..... in total "just a lot of work." Reverb added, Perfect Space?

First I had to copy all fugues - some study needed, because I wanted having it as close as possible to Bach's writing - into a notation program. The rest is obvious.

The SONAR project doesn't exist anymore, luckily I had the result on my HD's and they will stay there for ever. This is a sequence of pieces not often heard and a "this is a must be" for music students.

Glad you liked it.

Long live the Garritan Listening Room.

Raymond
    Raymond! I am so surprised and delighted to see you joining in on The Listening Room Summer Festival! After your posts on the threads in General Discussion yesterday, I had the impression you wouldn't be posting anything--So it's a great surprise to see you here. THANK YOU!

I didn't realize before clicking the link that I'd be taken to more than one recording--omg, there are almost 30 MP3s there---!--- That's more than twice the number of MP3s I've posted over the entire past year!

Well, - so I just started at the top, listening to the first recording. At over 8 minutes just for that one, it's how much time I can spend in listening right now. But now that I've heard it, I am eager to say what a thoroughly impressive experience it was to hear your rendition of Bach - it's nothing short of amazing. I know for certain I've never been more impressed with a virtual Harpsichord recording.

The process you described for putting this together made for fascinating reading.-- It's almost more than I can imagine - I don't understand why you had to divide the music up into 24 separate tracks just to use the special tuning--. I thought that all one had to do was choose an appropriate alternate tuning, and then play. Shows you what I know! The few times I've experimented with using the various scales available for Garritan, I don't know what to do with them - it just sounds like the instrument is out of tune! lol.

Are you sure this is the only way this could be achieved? Each note having its own tuning--?

Very clever use of the Alto Sax clicks layered in with the notes - that worked great.

Well, the results are spectacular, to be sure. When I get in the mood for that much Harpsichord (which I admit isn't a mood I can get into Every day) - I know where to go to hear more!

Randy

I still have the project!!! Dated october 2008. Tried to load it again in Sonar 8.5.3 / X32 but it doesn't load. Don't know why not. Did we have ARIA at that time? Yes, Randy I had to tune every note in the scale separately, because the Werckmeister III was an experimental tuning with different settings for each interval. Bach experimented with tunings all the time and finally he was satisfied with this one.

Glad you all liked it,

Raymond

For those interested

Werckmeister III tuning adjustments (pdf file)

Some calculations/explanations by Niki ...hagen and others (an old member) = a .doc file
    Last edited by Raymond62; 07-21-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: adding Werckmeister III tuning table

You misunderstood. I won't post anything "alien" to Garritan's libraries. You know that GM sportscar of DPDAN.

Raymond

I still have the project!!! Dated october 2008. Tried to load it again in Sonar 8.5.3 / X32 but it doesn't load. Don't know why not. Did we have ARIA at that time? Yes, Randy I had to tune every note in the scale separately, because the Werckmeister III was an experimental tuning with different settings for each interval. Bach experimented with tunings all the time and finally he was satisfied with this one.

Glad you all liked it,

Raymond
    Congrats on finding the project, Raymond - but a project that old would need Kontakt Player. I guess you haven't kept that on your machine? Apparently not, but the newer versions of the free Kontakt Player will work for opening the old project.

Interesting about the Werckmeister tuning. I thought using that universally on an instrument would be all that's needed. I can't imagine very many people going through this incredibly cumbersome process of needing 24 tracks just to play one solo instrument!

You misunderstood. I won't post anything "alien" to Garritan's libraries. You know that GM sportscar of DPDAN.

Raymond
    Ah, I see. But remember that despite Dan's sportscar analogy, he's the one that proposed the excellent idea, which is now being followed, that pieces with non-Garritan instruments simply list, specifically, what those instruments are. That way, members who have music they'd like to share can still do it even when the recordings have non-Garritan instruments. It's a much more democratic concept, and one which is working out just fine.

Randy

We wrote simultan......sly but you hit the send key first.... see my edited reply with the tunings.

Raymond

... see my edited reply with the tunings.

Raymond
    Thanks for the added links - I had a look-- oh my, I understand precisely 0% of the info. I'll just stick with yer common, everyday, vanilla tuning - for me it's enough challenge just using that!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast