• Register
  • Help

Topic: Non-waterproof ink used on Sample CD's.

Share/Bookmark

Non-waterproof ink used on Sample CD\'s.

I have Bigga Orchestral Brass. The texts etc. are pressed with non-waterproof ink.
    When I took a CD with my hands, after I washed them, a remaining water drop on my hand came on the CD, causing the non waterproof ink to run out. There are more CD\'s, like the Post CD\'s, which also have non-waterproof ink.
    It\'s a big shame and annoying when this happens.

Re: Non-waterproof ink used on Sample CD\'s.

Luigi,

A sharpie pen works fine..

Alan Russell

They are of course the original CD\'s. They\'re not illegal copies.
    I\'d like that in future the sample libraries are professionaly pressed and not with an avarage printer, because you pay a lot of money for these libraries, so I expect professionaly pressed CD\'s.

Originally posted by Luigi:
    I have Bigga Orchestral Brass. The texts etc. are pressed with non-waterproof ink.
    When I took a CD with my hands, after I washed them, a remaining water drop on my hand came on the CD, causing the non waterproof ink to run out. There are more CD\'s, like the Post CD\'s, which also have non-waterproof ink.
    It\'s a big shame and annoying when this happens.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Luigi.

To keep costs down our CD\'s, any many other sample-cd\'s that prints in relativly small series, are printed with ink that can react this way to water. The alternativ would be to use screen printing or some other, more expensive, method. This would make the price of the product higher since this method is more expensive and because of the bigger series that would need to be printed. The result would be a \"better\" looking CD, with the same content, but for a higher price.
    You are the first one that has had this problems and told us about it and if you contact me at per@biggagiggas.com, I\'ll send you a replacement CD for the one that\'s damaged

Hi, Luigi:

I have had that problem with some commercial CDs as well---but not samples.

The art store sells something called fixative. It is a clear spray that can be safely applied to the disk surface to prevent that from happening. It will not dissolve the watersoluble ink so you do not have to worry about making it worse. Just be sure to completely mask the laser read side from the overspray. Otherwise you\'ll have bigger problems.

And you are right, there is no excuse for that from commercial disk producers!

John

Thanks for the reply. I\'ll look for the fixative spray.

Go Back to forum