• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dances with pigs (country guitar)

Share/Bookmark

Dances with pigs (country guitar)

This is what happens when you think that you have an idea after 3 martini's (or was it 5). This uses jabb electric guitar, GM mute guitar for the thumpy bass and a little echo for atmosphere.

I expect to see at least one "YEE-HA" from this.
    Jay
    www.jesse.us.com/pigs.mp3

Re: Dances with pigs (country guitar)

YEE HA

Wanted to be the first.

Geez, Jay, you're doing some nice work... well done.

How about a break away, get crazy, all that -- ?

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hey David! Thanks for listening and the YEE HA. I did have fun playing around with this style of music. It is kind of in the style of Merle Travis and Chet Atkins.
    Thanks for the nice comment. Jay

AH, David beat me to it - He's hell on wheels now!--can't keep up his Forum pace. --AND we're all the more fortunate that he's here again. Newcomers that don't know him should get to know him in quick good order if they take a look at his perpetually attentive, thoughtful responses.

This is really nice, Jay - And I wanted to say --yee-haw-- in small font, because it did elicit a quiet kind of restrained yee-haw in me. So much gentler than I expected after reading your intro. I say this could open up to really rip!-- But you know me, I'm not the master of subtlety - I like to hear things jump at me and grab me by the throat! hehe--I think perhaps I'm in the same territory David was when he wrote "get crazy."

Thanks, Jay.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I think perhaps I'm in the same territory David was when he wrote "get crazy."
    This has got serious off-the-wall, blow-the-doors-off potential. That's why I jumped on that. Listening to it, I felt a distinct need of mayhem to follow... lol.

C'mon, Jay. You can do it.

Best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yo Randy and David! I am really quite the conservative person when it comes to music. Even after a few martini's the most adventurous thing I could do was to name my song after "dances with wolves". I think I will have to do something to increase the adrenalin flow before I write a song. I was thinking something like a bungee jump without the bungee might generate some livelier inspiration. (then again maybe that's not such a good idea).

Anyway, thank you both for listening and commenting. I am going to try and write something that will blow some doors off. (maybe). Jay

Fantastic, Jay!

Has your indelible stamp of giving us an interesting harmonic progression along with a catchy, almost humable melody line ... I really like this one. Yeah, it sounds a little country, but it also reminds me of ....<harp glisses> ....

You're probably too young Jay to remember a group of guitarists (and a drummer too!) called "The Ventures" ... I would say they were popular throughout the 60's, peaking with the surf music craze in the early-to-middle part of that decade. "Walk, Don't Run" and a cover of the "Hawaii Five-O" TV theme were their only really big hits, but they covered EVERYTHING! They put out dozens of albums and after the 2-3 hits of the day they were covering for that particular album, the other 8-9 songs were just like "Dances With Pigs" ... right down to the muted rhythm guitar and the sound of the guitar samples you used (and the reverb) ... absolutely perfect!

Thanks for the trip to "Venture-land"! ... Surfs Up!

Frank

Hey Frank! Thank you very much. I am not to young to remember the Ventures since I am 143 years old and still going strong. Believe or not, I use to have every Ventures album that they made. Nokie Edwards was my hero. The second song that I ever learned on guitar was called "No Trespassing". It was on the second or 3rd album, I think. Anyway, I have not thought about them for many years. Thanks for nostalgic moment.
    Thanks for listening. Jay

Hey-hey, again, Jay ...

Cool ... so glad when someone has heard some of the groups I cut my musical teeth on! Yeah, had at least 10 of the Ventures 'albums' (wow ... album sounds like "a 78" or "a 45" used to sound ... DATED!!) including the fantastic "Play Guitar With The Ventures" (If I remember, it had "Walk, Don't Run" and "Memphis" on it as well as two others I can't remember). So cool, like the Music-Minus-One series ... learned how to play lead, rhythm, and bass guitar parts for the four songs.

I always got a kick out of the fact Nokie joined them on bass, then since he was such an accomplished guitarist compared to founding member Bob Bogle, switched to lead guitar. He was GREAT! (I believe he is still kickin' and gigin' at 77 yrs of age!). Went to YouTube today and played a bunch of their stuff ... still sounds exciting. I still have a starburst Jazzmaster and a white, Beach Boy P-bass gathering dust under a bed ... makes me wanna get em re-strung and start playing again! (Haven't played them in many years now ). Hey, Jay ... wouldn't ya die for one of those Venture Model Mosrites? I always thought they copied Bart Simpson's head from the Mosrites!

Once again, your sweet little ditty coulda been one of their tunes ... nice job!

Frank

Yo Frank! I just had to go to youtube and hear some Nokie Edwards stuff after you mentioned it. It really is nostalgic to hear his music again. I did not realize that he more often uses a fingerpicking style of playing. I heard some of the country/rock mix guitar playing that he sometimes does. I guess my song does sound like that style a little bit.

That's hilarious about Bart Simpsons head being copied from a Mosrite. I think you are right about that.
    Talk to you later. Jay

Go Back to forum