• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Libraries timeline

Share/Bookmark

Sample Libraries timeline

Howdy gang,

I was just talking to someone the other day about some of the historical libraries that have come out and when.

Wouldn\'t you know, I couldn\'t remember!

Can anyone help me nail down when these libraries first came out? The year is fine!

Miroslav Vitous Master Collection

Danny Jaeger Violins

Peter Siedslackeck (sp) Advanced Orchestra

Mc Gill University Classical Sounds

Am I forgettting some? Oh yeah....when did Ilio bring the Synclavier disks out to the masses?

Re: Sample Libraries timeline

I checked out. My collection of McGill University Master Samples dates 1988. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wow....the 80\'s??? So was that the first \"orchestral\" library that was widely available? Or did Miroslav come out first?

Roland Sample Archives Orchestral Family Vol.1/Vol.2 dates 1992

------------
    Alex Cremers

Off the top of my head the orchestral libraries I\'ve come across and/or heard of to my recollection:

- Synclavier Strings, Brass & Winds, World & and Orchestral Percussion (in 90\'s compiled into Akai collection, original in 80\'s)
    - Roland Strings, Brass, Winds, and Orchestral Percussion (numerous incarnations including compressed version in JV/XP line of synths)
    - Denny Jaeger Violin Library (along with other compilations)
    - Prosonus Orchestral Collection (later wound up in other formats including soundfont)
    - Miroslav Vitous (ver 1, ver 2)
    - Advanced Orchestra (ver 1, upgrade)
    - Ultimate Strings
    - Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings
    -- Next Generation of Orchestral Sampling Begins --
    - Dan Dean Solo Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, Brass Ensembles
    - Garritan Orchestral Strings (oh yeah, baby..)
    - Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings
    - Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Brass
    - Vienna Symphonic Library
    - EWQLSO

ok.. I know I\'ve left out a number of things.. Percussion, Choir and Piano alone would be another long list.

Timelines are very hard to define when it comes to orchestral libraries. Some of them are released in one massive collection, others comeout in sections.. A number of big orchestral sample projects stayed in the hardware world (i.e. Emu\'s Orchestral Libraries, new and old)

Originally posted by midphase:
    Howdy gang,

I was just talking to someone the other day about some of the historical libraries that have come out and when.

Wouldn\'t you know, I couldn\'t remember!

Can anyone help me nail down when these libraries first came out? The year is fine!

Danny Jaeger Violins

Peter Siedlacek Advanced Orchestra

Mc Gill University Classical Sounds

Am I forgettting some? Oh yeah....when did Ilio bring the Synclavier disks out to the masses?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Roughly -

Danny Jaeger Violins

Peter Siedlacek Advanced Orchestra

McGill University Classical Sounds

This is interesting.. I posted a thread in the East West side asking how much planning goes into a library like EWQLSO. Much to my surprise the thread has remained completely silent.... Any ideas?

planning?

anywhere from months to years.

EW/QLSO had been planned for 2-3 years if I\'m not mistaken

VSL has been in development/planning for 9 or 10 I think, if you go back to Herb\'s original concepts and about 4-5 years (maybe more) back to his \"proof of concept\"

GOS took 2 years, but not sure how much was actual \"planning\" as to development. The solo strings have been in planning/development stages for about 2 years now.

SAM was about a year for the horns, but in all actuality, *ALL* of their stuff goes as far back as the \"sampling manifesto\" days and back to the original proof of concept recordings with the free trumpets.

I\'ll be releasing a library that will only take 2 days of planning, but weeks/months/years of putting off the recordings to do other work [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum