• Register
  • Help

Topic: Controlling JABB with M-Audio UC-33

Share/Bookmark

Controlling JABB with M-Audio UC-33

I've had the UC-33 for many years, and finally decided to try using it to control expression parameters in JABB (such as growl, air noise, etc.). For example, using CC18 to control growl--the UC-33 screen shows that the knob labeled CC18 is sending MIDI messages for CC18, but JABB (in Sonar X1) does not receive CC18. Instead, knobs CC18 through CC26 seem to send the same CC signal--the one for filter cutoff.

I tried different factory presets on the UC-33 to no avail. I frankly do not know what to do next to troubleshoot this situation--is there a setting in Sonar that I need to change? If any one uses the UC-33 to control JABB, and can give me guidance on how they set it up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Re: Controlling JABB with M-Audio UC-33

Quote Originally Posted by Dean L. Surkin View Post
    I've had the UC-33 for many years, and finally decided to try using it to control expression parameters in JABB (such as growl, air noise, etc.). For example, using CC18 to control growl--the UC-33 screen shows that the knob labeled CC18 is sending MIDI messages for CC18, but JABB (in Sonar X1) does not receive CC18. Instead, knobs CC18 through CC26 seem to send the same CC signal--the one for filter cutoff.

I tried different factory presets on the UC-33 to no avail. I frankly do not know what to do next to troubleshoot this...
    Hi, Dean

I wasn't familiar with the UC-33, so had a look online. I see the PDF manual is available. Here's the link to that in case you need it:

UC-33 Manual

This quote from a Sound On Sound review outlines the basic routine for programming the controls as needed:

"...If your synth doesn't happen to be amongst the 33 UC33 presets, you can program your own presets fairly simply if the instrument relies on standard MIDI controllers. Controller numbers can be assigned to each slider or knob by using the Control Select button and numeric keypad (or just moving the desired control), followed by the Control Assign button and a new numeric pad entry. Similarly, the MIDI Global Channel can be altered, and individual controls may be assigned their own MIDI channel. If you want to store your settings in a preset, you use the Memory button..."

You said you've only tried factory pre-sets - That's not going to work, because there isn't one for JABB. The MIDI Controller assignments in JABB are unique to the Library, so you need to program your unit's knobs and sliders to control what you want. I can see you already know that by looking at ARIA's Controls window while an instrument is open will show you the available CCs - 12 for Air Noise, 13 for Key Noise, 18 for Growl etc.

You said that Sonar's not receiving CC18, but that's impossible. Sonar will receive and record any data you throw at it. In the PRV, you can add a controller pane for any controller by typing the # in that you want, and you can control your synth by drawing in the data if you wanted. Recording in real time is what you want to do though, and your recorded data will show up in that same pane - ready to be hand edited to perfection if you want.

Basically - you don't have your UC-33 programmed specifically for JABB yet. The above info should get you going on that - the manual, and the review quote.

Randy

Re: Controlling JABB with M-Audio UC-33

Hi Randy:

Thanks for your reply, as always. I discovered the problem (which I probably should have figured out earlier, but duh...). The UC-33 contains labels under each control, for example, C10, C11, etc. through C33. I mistakenly assumed that meant that with the default setting, the UC-33 would transmitt CC10 for C10, etc. That was wrong. The numbers "C10" identify the controller, and then the current preset determines which CC# a particular controller transmits.

After I figured this out, and I set a slider for CC18 (growl for the saxophone--very important!), I set other rotary controls to various CC#s, and I found out that setting CC20-CC23 did not affect the appropriate controls in ARIA. I have no idea why, but I'll keep fiddling with it.

With reference to an earlier thread we had about using the Roland A800, I am shying away from that and towards the Novation Impulse 61. The Roland A800 octave measures about 6.2 inches, compared to a standard piano octave of 6.5 inches. I believe (but I have to double check) that the Novation octave is a full 6.5 inches. I've had the pelasure in my career of playing a Hammond, a Rhodes, and an Octave Cat with a Pratt Read keyboard (great keybeds). I do most of my playing on my Steinway. The end result is that I'm really picky about piano actions, and I think I'd be uncomfortable playing on a keyboard that wasn't full sized. If I do get the Novation, I may very well put my UC-33 up for sale. Until then, I want to try to get the best result with it.

Best regards,

Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Dean

I wasn't familiar with the UC-33, so had a look online. I see the PDF manual is available. Here's the link to that in case you need it:

[snip]
    Randy
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Go Back to forum