• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT(?) did the VSL demo cube kill my poor Giga?

Share/Bookmark

OT(?) did the VSL demo cube kill my poor Giga?

Hi guys,

This evening I attempted to install a demo of VSL.
    In doing so I began an install of a version of midi yoke provided with the VSL demo cube. Halfway through the install I was informed that the installer couldn\'t find a directory to install to. Not wanting to screw things up, I just exited the install and went to the midi yoke site, where I read about an auto installer for XP, which I downloaded.

I had read that installing a new midi yoke over an old one was a problem, so I checked the drivers pages in control panel, and as there was no report of a midi yoke driver in either legacy or a midi yoke entry, I continued the new install.

The auto installer turned out to be the same type of installer as the zip file which came with the VSL demo cube anyway, so I just pointed it to a newly named directory, continued and it finished.

I restarted, and then tried to load Gigastudio - and my PC came to a grinding halt. I waited an extremely long time for Giga to start up, and when it did, the PC was acting as though I had almost no system resources available. In fact, when I checked Task Manager, the Giga executable was hovering at around 97%! No wonder the machine (a P4 2.4 with 512mb ram) was acting like it was in a coma - and I didn\'t have a single sound loaded.

At this point I hadn\'t even assigned midi yoke to a giga midi port. I tried to (like wading through shoulder-high treacle), but it made no difference.

My problem is that disabling Midi Yoke makes no difference to Gigastudio\'s performance, and the \'deinstallation\' process referred to for the win 2000 version shows a hardware add/remove page - when XP has only a hardware add/troubleshoot page. I figure there\'s probably something like a bunch of wrong midi driver references somewhere in the registry.

Any clues on completely removing midi yoke from my system?

I\'d love to get back to the normal 100% performance I had this afternoon before I got adventurous. I just wish I\'d remembered to set a recovery point :-[

Sorry to come on and whinge about a piece of software which is virtually free and solves so many people\'s problems.

Cheers
    Rick

Re: OT(?) did the VSL demo cube kill my poor Giga?

Ok, thanks anyway guys.
    After posting I spent some more time poking around in Xp and found out that it automatically creates restore points, whether you like it or not.

Well - I LIKE it!

Recovered to the state before midi yoke was installed, and Gigastudio loads fast and runs smooth - phew.

Sorry to take up board space with my sos.

Cheers
    Rick

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Report your problem to Jamie O\'Connell. He\'s the author of MIDI Yoke, and one of the nicest and sharpest folks at Cakewalk, too (he\'s their development lead, right under Ron Kuper who is their CTO and another brilliant fellow).

done - thanks Bruce [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    done - thanks Bruce [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, no, thank YOU Rick. Jamie is a very cool guy (not to mention a wiz), and I appreciate you letting him know what happened.

Chadwick, I had the same problem after I go tthrough messing around with M-Yoke. Instead of restoring what you can do is go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager. I *think* that MIDIYoke was installed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers but I can\'t remember. If you literally remove that from your system there that should bring you back up to speed (if you\'re not already). Granted, the slow down is still a problem though.

Go Back to forum