• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with my piano

Share/Bookmark

Need help with my piano

Hey guys. I have just spent a couple of hours cutting up release samples (352 samples) for my free Maestro Concert grand piano but I don´t know how to make a separate instrument for them. Could someone please help me figure the instrument editor out? I´ve only made this piano so far and I am not very experienced with the GS format yet.

I want to make the release samples in a separate file to make it easier for those who already downloaded my piano and so that you can choose if you want the added polyphony overhead of release samples (I have gigastudio32, go figure...).

The separate instrument needs to have different velocity levels (4) and I only want the release to be heard, nothing before you let go off the key. And I need the samples to be just as loud when you let go of the key after 0.5 seconds as when it´s released after 15 seconds.

I hope this is the right room for this kind of help, as there seems to be a lot of experienced instrument designers hanging around here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanx

Mats

Re: Need help with my piano

Mats, if it\'s a seperate instrument, how will you incorporate it with the piano?

------------
    Alex Cremers

I think you need to copy the instrument in Windows Explorer and put in into a new file. Ditch the original piano and other instruments you don\'t want and save. I might be wrong, though. Can someone verify this?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Mats, if it\'s a seperate instrument, how will you incorporate it with the piano?

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">With separate midi channels. Just copying the original track to use as trigger for the release samples.

Mats

Mats, I\'m not sure if I understood your question, it sounds like you either want to build a new instrument up from scratch or to copy the velocity split regions to a new instrument and change the original samples to release triggers. For the first, GS has a video tutorial that\'s a pretty useful start, I hope you have that! For doing the second, I don\'t have advice.

Mostly I just wanted to say thanks, this piano has a nice feel, useful sound, and it\'s great fun to play, I bet the original was wonderful to play.

Originally posted by Sam:
    Mats, I\'m not sure if I understood your question, it sounds like you either want to build a new instrument up from scratch or to copy the velocity split regions to a new instrument and change the original samples to release triggers. For the first, GS has a video tutorial that\'s a pretty useful start, I hope you have that! For doing the second, I don\'t have advice.

Mostly I just wanted to say thanks, this piano has a nice feel, useful sound, and it\'s great fun to play, I bet the original was wonderful to play.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I want to create a new \"instrument\", a new gig file that is, just with the release samples. You load that one onto channel two (or whatever channel) in GS and copy the piano track in your sequencer to drive the release samples with. Simple as that. I want to be able to control the release samples\' volume independantly from the regular piano track. I have no video tutorials, I only bought the GS32 to be able to make instruments.

And I can´t play the piano... :/ I´m primarily a singer, but also a cellist, guitar and bass player and a sloppy drummer.

MAts

Not to hard to do|
    Creat a new instrument. Import a \"silence\" sample that is just 3 samples long (a few milliseconds). You need that to play as the release dimension state is up. You can create a stereo silence sample of just 3 samples lenght in an audio editor.
    Insert that sample in a seperate folder (Silence)/ Insert the normal release samples in a second folder (Release) and use the instrument wizard to build the instrument. In one of the last steps it asks you how many dimensions you want to use. Select stereo (!) and release. Then follow comon sense: select the silence folder for the dimension release up, and the release folder for the release dimension down.
    This should do it.

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Not to hard to do|
    Creat a new instrument. Import a \"silence\" sample that is just 3 samples long (a few milliseconds). You need that to play as the release dimension state is up. You can create a stereo silence sample of just 3 samples lenght in an audio editor.
    Insert that sample in a seperate folder (Silence)/ Insert the normal release samples in a second folder (Release) and use the instrument wizard to build the instrument. In one of the last steps it asks you how many dimensions you want to use. Select stereo (!) and release. Then follow comon sense: select the silence folder for the dimension release up, and the release folder for the release dimension down.
    This should do it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OK, tried that, but the release samples won´t play unless I play really fast. I think the release time of the original samples has something to do with this. I don´t know how, but if I hold a key down for more than, say 0.01 seconds, the sample won´t play (or is too low level to hear, like -140 dB or something). PLEASE help me out!!! I´m dying to get this ****e out [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Do I have to loop the silence sample?

Mats

hi Mats,
    Don\'t loop the silence sample! It would only eat up precious polyphony!
    The release samples must be set to hold in the EVN page and given a rather long release (or decay) time, around 2 seconds in order to die out after key release.
    If you are having further problems you can send me the file via ftp -or a one note dummy- (if it\'s not over your upload size) so I can fix it for you or send me some screendumps with the env settings @ postpianoSTOPSPAM@xs4all.nl without the \"stop spam\" !
    Michiel

Wow, that\'s very generous of you Michiel!
    You definitely deserve some good karma [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum