• Register
  • Help

Topic: ...Fljˇtandi plast...(Gu­ ÷gn) (Auth. Steinway+World Instruments+GPO)

Share/Bookmark

...Fljˇtandi plast...(Gu­ ÷gn) (Auth. Steinway+World Instruments+GPO)

Hi everybody!

Here's a little thing I wrote 2 days ago in 4 hours written to be (hopefully) featured in a furniture company's website.

...Fljˇtandi plast...(Gu­ ÷gn)

It's something extremely melodic, fluent, driven by syncopated rhythms (and sometimes odd time signatures). Influences for this piece were the wonderful "The First Circle" by Pat Metheney, Sigur Rˇs and world music.

The title in icelandic makes reference to 2 images I was inspired by to write this short composition: liquid plastic and the God's particle (or the Higgs particle, as someone calls it), 2 things strongly connected to the idea of creation.
    It's the first time I make the mastering of one of my renderings too! I used iZotope Ozone 5 for this purpose and I think it came pretty good! Garritan samples shines a lot!

Hope you enjoy it!

Best regards,

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Re: ...Fljˇtandi plast...(Gu­ ÷gn) (Auth. Steinway+World Instruments+GPO)

Hello Andrea, this is a nice piece you have here. It certainly sounds inspirational, and the images you describe, I feel, describe it more aptly than images of a furniture store...but perhaps they have some great furniture, my imagination is quite limited when it comes to furniture design

You said this is the first time you have mastered your own recording? The quality is quite good, but I must ask, who/what were you using before to master your recordings?

Thanks for posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Well, honestly, I never mastered my recordings, principally 'cause I didn't knew anything about what it was! Recently I had the luck to know people who knows (mostly by experience) a lot about phonic and recording and so I started to learn what's a compressor, an expander, a maximizer and I even learned to use the EQ. As for my releases, I remember "Square" was entirely mastered by a friend of mine, and he used WaveLab, but honestly I prefer a lot Ozone...it's more intuitive and the presets are not bad (of course, some adjustments are a must).
    Anyway thanks for the kind words. Yes, maybe it's too much for a furniture design site, but who really cares? xD

Best,

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

It was a dramatic surprise, listening to your new piece after reading your introduction, Andrea! For a furniture website--! It's totally unexpected, cinematic music you came up with, full of tension and several shifting, suddenly changing moods. If the people running the site have enough imagination, they could use the element of surprise to their advantage. Visitors to the site would have to be intrigued!

Doing any kind of "mastering" work is something that a lot of MIDI musicians/composers don't bother with, but if they did, their demos would have the potential of sounding more full and professional. The Ozone plugins you used on this are of course very popular and highly rated.

I can hear the compression on this, so I feel you over-used it slightly. But at least the music is at a good volume, it's just that the dynamics have been squashed a bit too much, it seems to me. The irony of compression is that once you go past a certain point, it can make music sound less powerful, since as you increase the compression, volume fluctuations become more flattened out.

At 1:39 there's a deep percussion sound in the background which then returns for the final passages. It has an unnatural "machine gun" effect which must be the result of the notes being manually entered in notation rather than played. If you have a way to edit and vary the velocity values, as well as blurring the quantized start of the notes, it would sound more natural.

Very interesting post, Andrea!

Randy

Randy =)

As always, your suggestions and your comments are always welcome!
    Ironically, I didn't use so much compression...maybe I over-used the maximizer. Understand that's the first time I make a mastering all of my own! I will be more cautious next time! Anyway it still sounds great and magnificent to me =D For the machine gun effect I made it less evident in the version I sent to the ones working at the website! And, great news, today they told me they'll definitely use this tune for the website =) They liked it a lot! Hope it'll render well.

Thanks for listening and suggestion,

Andrea

That's a hell of a lotta ground you cover between
    0:00 and 3:04, Andrea... lol!

Great job bridging this flawlessly foward across quite
    a bit of context -- and even better if you can get
    paid for it!

Good, solid work.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David!!!

Always a pleasure to see a post by you! Thanks for the kind words =)
    So long I didn't wrote anything for a different ensemble than a band and I'm quite satisfied and happy of how this came out so easily.

Best,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I really enjoyed your piece of music ... I'm sure it will be great underscoring for your client's website. Congratulations that it will be used!

Loved the percussion under it all ... all the melodic fragments were great, but those drums just transported the entire piece perfectly. You can be real proud of this music.

As far as the mastering ... well, we all struggle to create the perfect mix (here's a secret: It dosen't exist! Only kidding, of course ... we can get real close to a production that will serve its intended purpose). I struggle with every piece (especially compression vs preserving a decent dynamic range), but you just have to keep experimenting and plugging away.

Really nice job ... thanks for sharing this.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank =)

I'm glad you liked this little work! Yes, drums are the essential part which drives everything forward. All the instruments here, anyway, are quite rhythmic: the piano fills the holes left by the base groove and even cellos and basses when modulates in D minor are rhythmic! Curious, 'cause I always wanted to make those strings sound so bold but easy at the same time but never found an effective way to use them like this before "Fljotandi"! As for the mastering, I know the "perfect mastering" it's obviously impossible to reach! But I think it's quite subjective! For someone can be perfect a mastering which isn't for someone else at all. A matter of tastes ^^ Anyway, thank you for the kind words =)

Regards,

Andrea

Go Back to forum