• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best percussion library?

Share/Bookmark

Best percussion library?

Any comments on the best percussion library for orchestral music?

Also what is the best sequencer to use along side of GigaStudio?

Thanks,

Will

Re: Best percussion library?

London Orchestral Percussion is the most solid percussion library I own. Actually, its the only one I own. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It also has some air in it, so it works well with reverb. If you get it, you won\'t regret it.

LOP is great

VSL is great

QLSO should be great.

With these three choices \"best\" becomes more specific to personal taste.

I think QLSO will be fantastic with the natural ambience. Its still be seen how much better. So far, in what I\'ve heard I think it rocks.

VSL\'s pro edition will be most likely to be the most complete in terms of instruments.

LOP will have a good variety of similar instruments so you have choices in sound.

All have a unique sound. Any one of them will be good choices.

Dont forget about G-Town\'s free samples. While not \"traditional\" they are great.

Hey thanks guys,

What sequencer are you guys using? I\'m currently using Cubase, but didn\'t wanted to know what everyone else is using for orchestral music, and a good sequencer to run along side Gigastudio?

Will
    www.willmusser.com

Wmusser,

I\'m using Sonar XL 2.2...all of my gear below:

Alan Russell

I\'m set to buy LOP, but having the EWQLSO percussion running as a VST is VERY attractive too... With FX teleport I could send the percussion to another machine.... sigh... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    I\'m set to buy LOP, but having the EWQLSO percussion running as a VST is VERY attractive too...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yellow Tools Culture might be worth a look if you\'re into VSTs. I\'ve only downloaded the demo, and there\'s not really any orch. percussion in the demo, but if all the instruments are as good as the demos, then it should rock.

double post

Of course I\'m going to reccomend QLSO percussion. I\'ve never heard anything capture the rich bass and timpani like it yet. It sounds like the instruments from those John Williams recordings. It doesn\'t cover every concievable mallet type for its glock & xlylo & vibes but its enough to be usable and just sounds great. Other than that, it seems to be about as complete as anything I\'ve seen so far.

VSL is good if you already have the cube. The only thing that underwhelmed me in the entire VSL orchestra was the timpani though. I think it helps to get more of a substantial room for that instrument, thus the secret of QLSO. Other than that, I\'m impressed with what they have done.

One thing about timpani is that the drums alone are not the complete instrument. The hall is the other half of the instrument. (I\'m a former timpanist myself) Its like a cathedral organ in that way.

Take care
    Dave

One thing about timpani is that the drums alone are not the complete instrument. The hall is the other half of the instrument. (I\'m a former timpanist myself) Its like a cathedral organ in that way.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Dave, could I ask you, do you have any recommendations for beefing up timpani to the more \"Hollywood\" sound? I am currently using the Sam free timpani. Can you suggest anything by way of eq, verb, etc?

I have tried a few tricks such as a slight delay between left and right of 20-60 milliseconds, boosting the eq in the 3-5k mark, but any suggestions you may have would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much, Scott.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum