• Register
  • Help

Topic: IO Infinity MW; nothing but channel 1

Share/Bookmark

IO Infinity MW; nothing but channel 1

So as you know the above ensemble has 9 tracks....there's only sound coming from track 1 (Earth Metal Perc).
    Nothing muted in the mixer and faders look normal...any thoughts?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB

Re: IO Infinity MW; nothing but channel 1

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    So as you know the above ensemble has 9 tracks....there's only sound coming from track 1 (Earth Metal Perc).
    Nothing muted in the mixer and faders look normal...any thoughts?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB
    Hey there, GRB - Seems like I haven't seen you for awhile. Thanks for the post.

I just now tested out that Ensemble, and it's working for me. Note that it's called "Infinity MW" - because the "MW" stands for Mod Wheel. Some layers come in only when you work with the mod wheel, or draw in CC1 data if that's how you work.

Hmmm, but that first instrument, Earth Metal Percussion, is one that's controlled by the MW - and you can hear that one. So -- hmm, well I might be on the right track here, but there's something missing in the equation.

Are you trying this in stand-alone mode, or with ARIA as a VST in a recording program?

Randy

Thanks very much for the usual fast response Randy....
    I suppose you haven't heard from me b/c I haven't had any issues (well at least with GPO and IO)
    anyway, with the mod wheel all the way up this happens in both stand alone and X1.
    Thanks again my friend,
    GRB

Thanks very much for the usual fast response Randy....
    I suppose you haven't heard from me b/c I haven't had any issues (well at least with GPO and IO)
    anyway, with the mod wheel all the way up this happens in both stand alone and X1.
    Thanks again my friend,
    GRB
    Hmmmm - Do you get the same behavior whether you use your MIDI keyboard, or if you click notes on the ARIA keyboard?

AND I'm glad you haven't had issues - But that's no reason to stay away! I think probably a lot of people only come by when they have problems, but it was so great in the "good ol' days" when people were here much more often, sharing info, sharing off-the-wall Off Topic things - being more of a group, and not just a support Forum. Consider hanging out here more--it'd be great!

Randy

Hmmmm - Do you get the same behavior whether you use your MIDI keyboard, or if you click notes on the ARIA keyboard?

I haven't tried it with my controller yet but I will tomorrow.

AND I'm glad you haven't had issues - But that's no reason to stay away! I think probably a lot of people only come by when they have problems, but it was so great in the "good ol' days" when people were here much more often, sharing info, sharing off-the-wall Off Topic things - being more of a group, and not just a support Forum. Consider hanging out here more--it'd be great!

I'm whicha buddy (and I do check in when I get the daily email showing a new thread) but I'm suddenly pretty busy nowadays...not just with my regular stuff but I'm beta testing for 2 different music software programs...but I'm having fun....but while I'm here HI EVERYONE!!!!

...I haven't tried it with my controller yet but I will tomorrow.
    I'm suddenly pretty busy nowadays...not just with my regular stuff but I'm beta testing for 2 different music software programs...but I'm having fun....but while I'm here HI EVERYONE!!!!
    Ah, well that's the answer. I just now tried that ensemble again in stand-alone, and clicking the ARIA keyboard just gets the first instrument, or another instrument if you click it first. That's isolating each of the layers, but when you actually play it with your keyboard, then all of the layers (all on MIDI channel 1) will ring out. That's the case with any layered sound/instrument like this.

Glad you're busy with music related things!

EDIT: By the way - I was initially confused by your subject line, because of the word "channel." You're actually referring to the instrument slots in ARIA. In the case of this ensemble, all 9 instruments are on one actual channel - MIDI Channel 1. They're also programmed to use the first audio channel out - 1/2. Before I read the post, and just the subject line "...nothing but Channel 1..." my immediate reaction was, "Right, and that's the way it was programmed." Then I saw you were talking about the first slot in ARIA - And you were only getting the first instrument's sound because you were playing it in isolation, only clicking on the ARIA keyboard, as explained above. Anyway!

Randy

So when using my controller I now get 3 of the 9 "slots" (sorry but the GUI looks like a mixing board so I instinctively referred to them as channels earlier) working....those are slots 1,8 and 9
    Also it can take several clicks to activate a mute or solo button...is that a known issue?

Thanks very much Randy,
    GRB

EDIT: so after thinking getting 3 but not the rest doesn't make sense so I went back and looked again, noticed the MW all the way up in the GUI but then discovered I had to reset/move the physical MW on my controller so yay...user error as usual.
    Still curious abut the mute / solo buttons being non-responsive though but maybe it has something to do with me mouse

So when using my controller I now get 3 of the 9 "slots" (sorry but the GUI looks like a mixing board so I instinctively referred to them as channels earlier) working....those are slots 1,8 and 9
    Also it can take several clicks to activate a mute or solo button...is that a known issue?

Thanks very much Randy,
    GRB

EDIT: so after thinking getting 3 but not the rest doesn't make sense so I went back and looked again, noticed the MW all the way up in the GUI but then discovered I had to reset/move the physical MW on my controller so yay...user error as usual...
    Hello again Randy "GRB" - Glad to see you resolved this. It's the same user error as before because there's something you're not getting about using the ARIA interface. Here, I'll explain:

--When you use any of the controls in the ARIA interface, including the virtual keyboard, you're only effecting the currently selected instrument. There's a simple logic to that. You have one slot selected, and you can't lose sight of which one since the virtual LED lights up. Then whatever you do in ARIA's GUI will only effect the instrument in that slot. There's no connection between those controls and any other slot.

--For the most part, those controls are intended to be used for audition purposes. You click a note to hear the sound, you push the MW up to see what happens, or move any of the knobs in the Controls window to also audition what their effect will be.

--To actually play and use any instrument you have loaded, you either need to play your keyboard or start hand inserting notes and data. Mod Wheel is a good example of a control that you never just leave at one value, moving it to change volume is part of your performance - even if you're doing it in slow motion by drawing in the data by hand.

--An ensemble patch in IO such as "Infinity" is programmed with all layers on the same MIDI Channel. So when you play your keyboard, all of those layers respond at the same time. That's one of the key ingredients of IO - that kind of fat layering of sound. But there's no way you're going to hear all the layers when clicking controls on ARIA itself, since, as per the above, that's just auditioning each individual slot.

--So when you use Infinity or any other layered patch, the only way you're going to effect all layers is to send data on a MIDI Channel via keyboard or hand insertion. When you turn your keyboard's Mod Wheel, logically enough, that Mod Wheel data effects all layers on that one MIDI Channel.

--Through trial and error, now you understand that it was important to include "MW" as part of this Infinity patch's name. Some layers aren't heard until you push the Mod Wheel up, while others make sound without the MW. That makes for a complex patch that can have a large variety of sound, evolving as you use varying amounts of Mod Wheel.

--Working with a layered patch like Infinity, there was really no need to use the mute/solo buttons, but that brings me to the second part of your post:

Still curious abut the mute / solo buttons being non-responsive though but maybe it has something to do with me mouse
    That is a known issue with ARIA. It's not just the mute/solo buttons which can take several clicks to engage, but any of the switches in the Controls window which are on/off switches have the same problem, like the Stereo Stage control. It's been pointed out to the developers. It was some time back that I saw one of them say they were surprised that problem was still coming up, they thought they had fixed it - But it's still a problem, and it's not because of your mouse. Everyone has that issue.

Randy

Okay now I understand...I could have sworn I had auditioned some of the MW/blending textures with the GUI before but apparently I had always used my controller....and the sometimes non responding buttons ain't no big deal...and glad my mouse doesn't need to be replaced : )
    Thanks Randy,
    GRB

Go Back to forum