• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac Users and WinZip?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Mac Users and WinZip?

Thanks Guys.

I was just wondering if I made Diva as a CD-ROM with zip files. Just a thought. Diva, I thought would be 1 CD... now, it\'s 2 and I am afraid it will go 3.

Good news for you guys, huh? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again!

ps. Of course, there is RAR but I know nothing aout it really.

Francis:

RAR used to be a problem for Mac users - but now that Expander\'s been updated to version 7.0.3, it\'s no longer a problem for OS9 or OSX; and from my experience, the compression savings are huge. You should check it out - and if you have any Mac users who complain, just send them to Aladdin\'s site to update. I mean, it\'s free...

There are two somewhat-related potential distribution problems, however, you might want to consider:

1. Many olderMacs came with DVD-ROM drives; and accordingly, many of the users of these machines seem to have trouble reading data CD-R\'s that have been burned on a PC. The only workaround I know for this (as a user) is to have an external CD burner & read it off that unit.

2. If you decide to go to the DVD distribution route, realize that the factory-installed DVD drives/burners on Macs used the \"DVD-\" protocol (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM), whereas PC\'s have moved to the + & - protocol (in otherwords, they can use both); if you burn DVDs of DIVA, you might want to make sure you do it using the DVD-R protocol just to be safe. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mac Users and WinZip?

Can Mac users unzip Winzip files?

I don\'t think Winzip files are a different format from other zips, and the free Stuffit Expander can unpack them. You may need a more current version if the one you have isn\'t working.

Not a problem, Francis - several free programs out there do that, including Stuffit Expander.

Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Can Mac users unzip Winzip files?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I actually like getting .zip files from PC users and my own Giga PCs because it protects file names from being squashed into the 8 characters plus extension ISO9660 format. There\'s an extension called Jolliet that fixes this but it has always crashed my system.

Go Back to forum