• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ozone: anyone using it outside of mastering?

Share/Bookmark

Ozone: anyone using it outside of mastering?

I just last night downloaded Ozone and have started to get familiar with it.

So far, it looks like a pretty decent app. Given that it is 64 bit and seems to have have some pretty sophisticated processing, I was wondering if anyone has tried using it as a stand alone FX unit?

For example, I was thinking of running GOS through it and seeing how it responds to the harmonic exciters, eq, even the reverb....

Has anyone else used this app in this fashion?

Thanks, Scott.

Re: Ozone: anyone using it outside of mastering?

I use the harmonic exciter.. it does a great job of brightening up the sound.. it really makes SAM Horns crisp.

I use Ozone as well and am having good results. Even the \"Orchestra\" preset can work as a quick fix to a mix, though can make gos sound a bit tinny if not tweaked.

So it works? I will download the demo.

Been searching for some mastering app and after trying several (psp vintage warmer, t-racks..) I haven\'t found anyone worth it

Anyone has tested Waves plugins? If so, are they worth the price?

So it works? I will download the demo.

Been searching for some mastering app and after trying several (psp vintage warmer, t-racks..) I haven\'t found anyone worth it

Anyone has tested Waves plugins? If so, are they worth the price?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- Waves are certainly the cream of the crop. THe L1 Ultramaximizer is one of the best dithering tools on the market. So much so they built a hardware version of it too.

They are on my \"shopping list of the future\" but a bit too much for my pocket right now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ve been experimenting, pulling out the EQ on GOS at around 1350k and 2900k as per Simon\'s recommendations, taking out some of the \"scratchiness\" and also doing a hi freq rolloff at around the 8k mark.

Similiar to what Sam was saying above, I then use the harmonic exciter to brighten the strings in a really nice way, bringing in more harmonics but no apparent harshness. Likewise, the stereo widener \"expands\" the sound in a way that panning can\'t.

It seems like Ozone can be used as a decent tool on an individual track before you get to any mastering at all or final mix treament at all.

I use the harmonic exciter.. it does a great job of brightening up the sound.. it really makes SAM Horns crisp.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sam, have you been doing this only in the final mix? Or have you tried it on a track by track basis?

Scott.

Scott, I run Ozone on the final mix. It tends to benefit every instrument, really. Cymbal crashes also gain a bit of crispiness.

Mmm... Waves - IMHO overrated and incredibly overpriced. I would strongly recommend going to web page and downloading some demos, in particular the Elephant limiter, CurveEQ, and Sonic Finalizer.

If you want your masters to have digital distortion use Waves L1. If you want transparency and incredible value (especially in comparison to Waves) use Elephant. See what you think.

Waves is cream of the crap, not crop. Maybe a few years ago they were, but there is a LOT more out there that\'s better quality and cheaper, and doens\'t put you through their stupid nightmare of copy protection. If you follow kvr-vst to any degree, you\'ll see exactly how much stuff keeps coming out. Ozone is certainly very worthy mastering app, and I\'m quite pleased with the results, even for the \'non-tweaked\' presets it has.

I\'ve heard so many mixed reviews of the quality of Waves, but certainly, their pricing scheme is way outdated, and so are the plugins. I\'d rather buy hardware effects for that price. Least I could sell it and get money back otu of it at a later date.

Devon

Gee, it seems that Waves are not so popular as I thought... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I know that Bruce at least likes them.

They are pricey but if you had to buy all of the equivalents in hardware you would be paying a fortune.

Go Back to forum