• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: needs advice on brass library

Share/Bookmark

needs advice on brass library

Hello everyone,
    I\'m new to this forum, and fairly new in the world of samples as well - so I\'d really appreciate some advice on which brass library to buy, so I don\'t rush out and buy something that doesn\'t really offer what I need.
    At first I considered \'Brass and woodwinds\' from VSL, but from what I\'ve been told, the brass isn\'t really useful for bombastic fanfarish compostitions (e.g. rebel spaceship fanfare) which is what I\'m looking for.
    Then of course there is SAM horns and bones which sound truely amazing, but there aren\'t any trumpets yet.
    There is also the brass ensemble library from Kirk Hunter, where the brass go all the way up to fff, which sounds like it\'s great for fanfares, but the price of only $500 for 33 gigabytes of samples almost makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it?
    Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Re: needs advice on brass library

try sam trumpets,its free and i find it very useful

Originally posted by dkala:
    try sam trumpets,its free and i find it very useful
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a free patch the sam trumpets are great, but they aren\'t going to provide the fanfares K Lundquist wants.

Hi there, if you\'re looking to spend around 300-$500 to write fanfare stuff I suggest you pick up one of these:

SAM Horns and Trombones + their free SAM Trumpets patch which I STILL use sometimes. The trumpets are quite obviously played by amateur players but it\'s got a nice and live sound, complete with things like intonation problems and other artifacts that makes it sound more realistic [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    SAM Horns is a great library and I\'m sure it\'ll blow you away. I haven\'t got SAM Trombones yet, but I can only imagine it being an improvement.
    With SAM Horns you get a Close miced and a Far miced version. With SAM Trombones you get a Close, Far and Enhanced mic version.

Dan Dean Brass Ensembles sounds very \"american\" with crisp and clear sound. Appears to have some problems with the stereo image of the samples according to several users. Some notes sound panned to the left while others sound panned to the right etc. Maybe he can elaborate on this himself. Dan Dean Brass Ensembles gives you two options; Close miced and Far miced samples.

Kirk Hunter Brass: A big and complete brass library. He offered us some demo gig files some time ago which I downloaded. It sounds like he really worked a lot on this library and I\'m sure those $500 would be well spent cash. I\'m not certain he offers multiple mics. Personally I didn\'t care too much for the sound of it, but other users on this forum own the library and seem to like it very much.

VSL Brass: Might be a little too much for what you\'re trying to do, but you can DEFINITELY pull of fanfares with the VSL brass, better than with any other library, because of the prerecorded double and triple-tongue samples for every brass instrument. This is obviously a major plus when you\'re working with fanfares [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The sound of the VSL Brass may not be everyones cup of tea, but go to their site and listen to the brass instrument examples. Be your own judge.

I don\'t think you could go wrong with any of these libraries. If you\'re short on money I\'d get the SAM Horns + Bones and his free trumpets. You\'ll get plenty of work done with them. The price is excellent, their service is great and their boss, Maarten Spruijt is a regular on this forum. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with your purchases!

Thomas

I might add, the \"Stereo image problems\" aren\'t really problems with recording issues, they jsut seem to be part of the recording space, and the very directional sound of the instruments at FFF.

The trumpets for example have a weird note or two, but dont generally bother me too much, they do other people tho. You can re map some of these without too much pain.

IMO the brass sounds awesome and is my favorite in terms of Tone, VSL is the one that gets the most \"realistic\" results in terms of playing. A mix of the two is my favorite brass sound so far.

The SAM stuff is just too cheap to not buy IMO. Add to the fact taht they are freaking great. I wish people didnt\' think I was playing some sort of politics when I suggest these libs. Its an honest opinion about price vs. value here. Problem here is no Trumpets other than the free stuff (which is usable)

If you dont need them TODAY, I\'d wait for QLSO to see how it will sound. Then make your choice.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Dan Dean Brass Ensembles sounds very \"american\" with crisp and clear sound. Appears to have some problems with the stereo image of the samples according to several users. Some notes sound panned to the left while others sound panned to the right etc. Maybe he can elaborate on this himself. Dan Dean Brass Ensembles gives you two options; Close miced and Far miced samples.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'a a tip: Run the closer mic\'ed samples in MONO with a tad of the more distant sound in stereo. The imaging will clean right up, and you\'ll get a little more impactful presence, too!

Stereo drift is a really difficult problem to overcome, especially when you\'re talking about Vizzutti on a Monette. Laser beams are less directional. You\'d have to put his head in a vise to control it, since the directionality is going to do nothing but increase over distance as the variations fan out into the space. The mono trick really nips this in the bud. But that is almost always going to be a tradeoff more or less in the recording of a trumpet, even a trumpet section. In performance, those little imaging variations are unnoticeable. When the same sample pans the same way every time it\'s played, those issues come to light, and you get a phenomenon that can be objectionable. But King is perfectly right. Short of clamping the player in a halo, you can\'t avoid this to some degree and trying to compensate for it makes the situation far worse. It\'s one o\' them there tradeoffs. Try the mono trick if you\'re a user of the library having a difficulty with this in any of your pieces. It should really help you solve the problem.

Darn, you can buy DD Solo Brass per instrument, but not the Trumpet Ensemble...

What about changing this policy, Dan? I bet there are a lot of people interested in such a subset!

Originally posted by K Lundquist:

There is also the brass ensemble library from Kirk Hunter, where the brass go all the way up to fff, which sounds like it\'s great for fanfares, but the price of only $500 for 33 gigabytes of samples almost makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it?
    Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sheesh,
    Ya charge too much and they whine, and I gues now if ya don\'t charge enough, they still whine! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There are indeed different \"sizes/distances\" in the brass ensembles. A set of closer miked, smaller groups, and a set of farther-miked large groups. There are a few demos at www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Also a new demo of an old tune of mine using the new brass (sorry about the terrible woodwinds, I\'ll fix that later) at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/SWfullM.mp3

Best,
    Kirk Hunter

What about Memphis Horns?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I haven\'t made up my mind yet, it seems all of the libraries have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Though I must admit that right now I\'m leaning toward KH brass, also because of the price, additional instruments and the many choices of ambiance.

Go Back to forum