• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stand up jazz bass.....recomendations?

Share/Bookmark

Stand up jazz bass.....recomendations?

Hi,

I\'m going to need a good stand up bass, something that has samples which are real and inperfect, nice tone, articulations, etc...

So any recomendations? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

AlEx

Re: Stand up jazz bass.....recomendations?

I make extensive use of upright bass samples and I have two different instruments that I use. The first is a VSTi- Spectrasonics Trilogy. This has a great sounding upright bass, along with elctric and synth basses. You do not need a software sampler to use it. I also have the Dan Dean Acoustic Upright Bass samples for Giga. You can\'t go wrong with either or better yet, both. Check out their websites to listen to demos and get more info.

I have the Dean bass, and it is a nice one, but what I\'ve heard done with Larry Seyer\'s seems to have more of thed articulations you want.

Dasher

ac bass
    Imperfections are the essence!

If you have the Giga demo disks, you can try out an octave or so of Larry Seyer\'s bass. For a Jazz trio, where the bass takes a spotlight role, that\'s what I\'d choose. For bigger pieces where the bass plays support, you might want something more controlled with a less forward and unique character.

Here\'s an additional demo from Steinberg\'s site that uses Trilogy in a Jazz Trio setting:

http://ga.clubcubase.net/mp3_demo_songs/My_Cup_of_Jazz.mp3

spectrum

Thanks for advices... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Larry Seyer sounds great, and Trilogy too, maybe a bit too PHAT for my needs, but then Trilogy is far from just an upright bass... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ll probably go with trilogy, but I still have some time to decide..

so thanks

Alex

Originally posted by lex:

Larry Seyer sounds great, and Trilogy too, maybe a bit too PHAT for my needs, but then Trilogy is far from just an upright bass... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

so thanks

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Trilogy is a good choice and as a compliment use this free doublebass which is great when you need a really dirty sound: http://www.memi.com/echochamber/exs24/exs242.html

/Tobias

Originally posted by lex:

so thanks

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you want a more focused sound from Trilogy that isn\'t as fat, you can dial in more of the Pickup instead of the Mic signal...really easy to do with the MIC+DI Presets.

(hint, hint Sharm...)

;-)

spectrum

Cool Lee...that\'s great to hear. That was a very tough instrument to program.

Alex, can\'t reveal our plans yet, but I will say that there are many things in store for all of our instruments.

spectrum

Go Back to forum