• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lost Relics - Big Adventure Theme

Share/Bookmark

Lost Relics - Big Adventure Theme

Something new from me.

As I've been studying some John Williams scores (and did the Raiders March mock up a while back) I wanted to use what I was learning to create this piece. I'm very happy with how it turned out in the end, and is my most advanced orchestration to date.

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Lost Relics - Big Adventure Theme

Your piece turned out great! You should be happy with it. The mood change around the middle was very effective and I thought that the harmonic movement there had some really nice unexpected changes. The render was also very nice. I loved your piece. Thanks for the post. Jay

Well done Graham!
    I too really like the change with the section in the middle... especially the progression that starts at 00:03:08
    So I gotta ask, are you using Garritan brass and strings?

Very impressive, Graham! Very impressive! The scoring is excellent! Nice blend. I would also like to know if those are Garritan strings and brass. I'd also like to know what DAW you used to create this.

Very well done!!!

Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

The John Williams tradition carries on! Alive and doing very well, thank you.

Graham, you have to be pretty darned happy with this piece, and in every respect. Really tasty Williamsesque orchestration of cinematically astute themes so expertly rendered. MMmm, and I do main tasty - I could virtually taste the palpable flavor of adventure as I listened.

Spectacular - Repeated Bravos shouted in your general direction!

Randy

Nicely done, but it would be nice if the horns would be allowed to breath just a little more, as well as the rest of the brass. That would go a long way in adding to the realism.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Thanks all. Yes I'm delighted with the piece overall, though listening back there are two things I would rearrange slightly. Not to worry now anyway. And I also did consider giving more instrument breaks (particularly in the brass as Michael mentioned - because at times it can be unrelenting, even though the brass switches from horn, trumpet, trombones - the horns do most of the work. But I tend to compose without thinking to heavily along the lines of being able to hand an orchestra a score. My aim is to produce finished work solely on the computer - perhaps this may change in time.

Here is the official list of what was used here:

All brass - Cinebrass (basic edition only - don't have the pro)
    All strings - PS Symphobia 1
    All woodwinds - GPO4 + IO
    Harp - GPO
    Percussion - East West Gold

The DAW is my usual - Ableton Live 8

I also EQ and master the track - though in a gentle way - because orchestral shouldn't have much done to it when it's not required. The raw sound from the midi file is very very close to what you hear now.

All of this is wrapped with my Arts Acoustic reverb plugin. IMO - the best reverb I've heard. A massive improvement was audible the moment I bought that reverb.

Thanks for listening - any more questions just let me know.
    Regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

one thing to look out for:

the opening chords of your theme are D major, then C major.
    the theme itself creates parallel 5ths A - G with the bass D - C.

this isn't something Williams would do. he's too steeped in strong traditional harmony to make an "error" of this type.

When he's writing something that is modal and non-traditional, yes, he will incorporate the sound of parallel 5ths into the modality of the music. But when he's writing this sort of grandiose, late 19th century fanfare-style theme, he will avoid it at all costs.

Add to this that harmonic movement in 2nds is far weaker than any other motion.

overall, a nice piece, but that single thing really sticks out to me as being definitely NOT John Williams-sounding.

in my opinion, harmony by 2nds will be the death of film music.

Hi, interesting observations, and one I remember you made before. The interval is certainly a pet hate of yours. I'll note this for a future piece and see what actively avoiding it brings.

I'm not steeped in copying strict music harmony and progression though, nor JW's actual music theory to the letter. (because I wouldn't know it to the letter anyway, I'm not him)

The D to C, back to D crops up enough times (and the last time we had this talk, it was D to C again I think :-) ) - it works for me here though, very happy with it as I had said. I have some small reservations about the orchestration near the end of the slow mid-section leading to the final return of the main theme. Think it needed more variation.

2nd intervals forever!! - No, actually I'll give this some thought on a future piece.

Cheers
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Graham,

You really have a lock on scoring with that big, larger-than-life style ... what an exciting piece of music ... great job!

Coming more from the jazz side of things, parallel 5ths don't seem so out of place in your homage. As far as harmonic movement by 2nds ... well, as a huge musical theater lover, that's probably the most used movement in that genre so once again, it still sounds exciting to me. But I can appreciate the stricter rules of 'traditional' harmony so I learned something from this thread.

My only comment would be that the dynamic level of the last third ... when the full orchestra takes up the exciting race to the finish line ... seems relatively static, almost as if compressed. Could just be my ears (or lack thereof!), but some subtle < and > would give that last section more life than the constant level I'm hearing.

Nonetheless, a really professional job of writing and rendering ... you should be very excited and proud of this piece.

Frank

Go Back to forum