• Register
  • Help

Topic: updates for PMI Yamaha C7 and Historic Keyboards

Share/Bookmark

updates for PMI Yamaha C7 and Historic Keyboards

Just finished two major updates;

PMI Yamaha C7 in Kontakt: we added several instrument variations with subtle eq and reverb settings and had a few bugs removed.

PMI Historic Keyboards: Mainly bug fixes.

Both downloads can be found on our company updates webpage.

Re: updates for PMI Yamaha C7 and Historic Keyboards

I think it\'s great that you\'re releasing extra instruments since that\'s always a welcome addition to any library.
    But I gotta say, I\'m very troubled by this growing trend of releasing \"bug fixes\" for libraries. I checked out the Post Media site, and there are a ton of \"bug fix\" updates for your various libraries, and this is happening more and more often with other developers as well.
    And now that I think about it, wasn\'t the Historic Keyboards release a collection of earlier releases with some \"bug fixes\" in the way of noise removal on the Harpsichord Vol. 1 set? So now we have bug fixes for the big fixes??
    Is it really that difficult to have people beta test and work out the bugs *before* you release a library so the end user doesn\'t have to go through the hassle time and time again? Every other facet of the software industry has accepted bug fixes as a way of doing business. I sure as heck hope this niche remains the exception to the rule...outlook not so good, though.
    -Hudson

There is too much pressure from competition and customers. Look how everyone is begging Nick and Doug to hurry up. A serious beta test could mean months of delay. Remember how long it took for Nemesys to come up with a fine working version. It also has to work on every system out there. Not an easy thing, I guess.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Alex, you\'re referring to the program/software side of things. Nick and Doug have an entirely new software engine powering their library to contend with, and the Nemesys reference you made was also in regards to a program...its not even in the same category as your standard giga library so you can\'t compare the two when it comes to these bug fixes.
    -Hudson

Hello!
    I downloaded the update for the post historic keyboard, but they are in a nki format, which is unknown to me. Aren\'t these files supposed to be in an .art-format? Can anybody explain how to use these files?
    Thanks!

Ok, first I thought the key factor was time but, as always, it is money:
    -Hey boss, after two years it\'s finished. We did it!
    -About time! Do you guys know how much this has cost me? So when can shipping begin?
    -Well, to be sure, we would like to test it a bit further...
    -How long will it take?
    -Dunno...1, huh, 2 months perhaps?
    -But it works?
    -Yeah boss, sure, but...
    -No buts, if there is something wrong with it, fix it later. It\'s software!

(This is a clean version with a nice boss)

------------
    Alex Cremers

Ups, sorry - I didn\'t see : It\'s for the contact version. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hm, I don\'t see a growing trend to fix bugs after the release. It\'s not true that we don\'t spend enough time beta testing - in fact we spend more than 6 weeks with a team of beta testers before each GRANDIOSO library is released.
    The point is that even an experienced beta tester will never detect all the small issues. Some beta testers report bugs. Some give a musical impression, some just createn music and report about that.
    But the real test comes when 100 people buy your library and start using it intesively. Then you get reports like: \"hey when I play velocity values between 110- 117 that region (C7 to D#7) with sustain pedal down seems a lttle soft\". Or: \"the midi cc 65 controlling amplitude in group 7 is not set to max., which causes this and that ...\". We examine every remark like this. These remarks most ofter are valid. So we fix the problem, add the fixes in an update and offer them for free to our customers.

I don\'t see the trend you mention. I just see an effort from our side to fix small issues and add new features. This adds value to products that are on the market. We do this to give our customers the very best.

Also we\'re not hurrying the release of libraries. At least not to the extend suggested here. We tend to make a shedule and try to keep to it. If you get a delay in one project then all others will suffer from it.

I DO also hate it when companies announce an update or fix and you have to wait and wait and wait until you\'re no longer expecting to get the fix at all.

Go Back to forum