• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instant orchestra combo mood patch problems

Share/Bookmark

Instant orchestra combo mood patch problems

Hi pls can someone listen to this and tell me what is causing this strange rhythmic pluse..really annoying

http://soundcloud.com/music4head/ins...rch-mood-patch

i think the patch is called instant vocative hugeness, in any case it happened with a few. I hope it's not a feature cos its cheesy as hell.
    thanks!

Re: Instant orchestra combo mood patch problems

Yes, I know exactly what that is.

First - took me awhile to pinpoint the patch you meant. It's not a "Mood" Ensemble patch, it's under "Combos and FX," named "Instant Octave Hugeness." That has to be the "vocative" one you're talking about.

Other patches in IO have a similar thing going on - Open the Controls window in ARIA with that loaded. You'll see that Vibrato Amount (VibAmt) is one of the knobs on the right. That's controlled by Channel Aftertouch (Aftr). If you use that at all, is has to be in modest amounts - I would say 25% and less. Then CC17 controls the speed. I wouldn't consider either of those to be "set and forget" controls. Using AfterTouch and CC17, you can bring in subtle amounts here and there on sustained notes, but you'd only very rarely want them On throughout a whole passage or piece.

Not knowing your project is set up, I don't know how you accidentally triggered AfterTouch, but that's what happened.

And, as has been pointed out, that really isn't Vibrato as we think of it. It's Tremolo. Some instruments throughout the Garritan Libraries have that wah wah type Tremolo engaged instead of Vibrato, and it's not uncommon for users to find that sound to be of limited use.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yes, I know exactly what that is.

First - took me awhile to pinpoint the patch you meant. It's not a "Mood" Ensemble patch, it's under "Combos and FX," named "Instant Octave Hugeness." That has to be the "vocative" one you're talking about.

Other patches in IO have a similar thing going on - Open the Controls window in ARIA with that loaded. You'll see that Vibrato Amount (VibAmt) is one of the knobs on the right. That's controlled by Channel Aftertouch (Aftr). If you use that at all, is has to be in modest amounts - I would say 25% and less. Then CC17 controls the speed. I wouldn't consider either of those to be "set and forget" controls. Using AfterTouch and CC17, you can bring in subtle amounts here and there on sustained notes, but you'd only very rarely want them On throughout a whole passage or piece.

Not knowing your project is set up, I don't know how you accidentally triggered AfterTouch, but that's what happened.

And, as has been pointed out, that really isn't Vibrato as we think of it. It's Tremolo. Some instruments throughout the Garritan Libraries have that wah wah type Tremolo engaged instead of Vibrato, and it's not uncommon for users to find that sound to be of limited use.

Randy
    Thanks Randy!
    yes "Vocative" haha sorry i meant octave..spell checker ..blame my dyslexia!

thanks, yes i was using a rubbish oxygen 8 midi keyboard + modwheel.. and standalone Aria, is it possible i pressed a key on a lowest octave to activate..or are they just reserved for articulations?
    I only found this problem as i decided to read through manual and try its presets with use of mod wheel...excellent stuff anyway.
    I see how this cld be tremolo at a pulsating speed. I did think it could be an effect that i have activated..i'll check now.

P.s you think you could stick all the IO stuff n tips n tutorials you've put up in one place in the forum?

regards P

Update!! Yes your 100% right Thanks, it's aftertouch speed on vibAMT...i have no idea how i did that. i must have turned the knob up by 50% by accident? But judging by your answer it seem i may have activated the aftertouch? I'm little confused...but i'm happy with the result...next time i'll come out and back into the preset and it should reset to defaults. That should do it.?

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    ...i was using a rubbish oxygen 8 midi keyboard + modwheel...Update!! Yes your 100% right Thanks, it's aftertouch speed on vibAMT...i have no idea how i did that. i must have turned the knob up by 50% by accident? But judging by your answer it seem i may have activated the aftertouch? I'm little confused...but i'm happy with the result...next time i'll come out and back into the preset and it should reset to defaults. That should do it.?
    Well, I wouldn't say the Oxygen 8 is such "rubbish." It looks to me that the keyboard is sending out AfterTouch, which many keyboards do. That's triggered by how hard you push on the keys. What happens is you can accidentally do that when you don't want to, and the synth you're using will respond however it's programmed to respond when receiving AT. You can just use an eraser in the controller pane for AT. You don't need to re-set the instrument - you just need to get an AT value of Zero in your project. You probably stopped recording in the middle of something, leaving the AT data dangling.

"Aftertouch speedon on vibAMT" you said - You understand they're two different things. Bring this trem in with AT if you want, and then if you want to control the speed of the trem, you use CC17.

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    P.s you think you could stick all the IO stuff n tips n tutorials you've put up in one place in the forum?
    Oh my - that would be quite a task - And it wouldn't be just a matter of rounding up my posts - A number of people have passed on good info, Robert Davis in particular. Still - it would be nice, and it's a dream that comes up once in awhile, that the info posted here could be more organized. maaaaaybe - Sooomeday.

Randy

Go Back to forum