• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New short thematic piece

Share/Bookmark

New short thematic piece

GPO 4. Bb clarinet, violin, viola, cello. Any thoughts or feedback welcome.
    http://soundcloud.com/arvid-peterson/into-the-hollow

Re: New short thematic piece

Hi, Arvid - It's good to see you here in the Listening Room with music for us to hear.

This is an interesting, brief idea you've started. I hope you're still intrigued with what you have so far so you can go ahead and develop it. I anticipate that as you go forward, you may find that the instrument lines can be simplified and honed more to make for a more clear, confident statement. I'm just speculating - what happens with this is of course totally in your control.

Thanks for posting.

Randy

Hi Arvid
    Very interesting.
    If it stops at this point, it has life on his own.
    If you develop it into a more lenghty nad articulated composition (parts, movements, you name it)
    the pleasure will grow with it.
    The strings sounds a bit harsh and everything is dryed out in ambience. But these are matters of personal taste.
    Regards.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

thanks guys. this is a little idea that popped into my head around 930 at night (as usual :/) that took about an hour to get into sonar and gpo. i've been listening a lot to the glass/kronos quartet soundtrack to dracula, and i had this flash of the tim burton movie sleepy hollow - that's how this came about. i do like a couple of the ideas in the piece and i'm thinking about expanding them. i'm still having trouble figuring out how to get string instrument slurs using garritan programmed. either of you have any experience doing this effectively? thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Arvid Peterson View Post
    ...i'm still having trouble figuring out how to get string instrument slurs using garritan programmed...
    Arvid, you're probably up against the limitations of "Auto-Legato" in GPO. The manual admits that smoother results can be achieved with what we call the old style Garritan Legato, the only method that existed before the Auto feature was added in ARIA. Page 70 of the GPO manual says:

"Choosing Between Auto-Legato and Sustain Pedal Legato (CC#64)

Since Garritan Personal Orchestra gives two choices for legato creation the question arises: Which
    should I use? The answer is, “It depends.” Here are the main differences so that you can make an
    informed choice. Auto-Legato is the most convenient method to use and can give good results when
    it is applied to take advantage of its intended design, but has some limitations. Those limitations
    are related to the way it handles polyphony. Its detection of overlapping notes and automatically
    stopping the first of the overlapping notes in favor of the second means that it functions in what is
    commonly known as “mono mode.” This gives automatic transition control and the ability to do easy
    trills but it can only play one note at a time. This means it works well with any single line parts. It
    won’t work for polyphonic parts where more than one note is played at a time. This means it is best
    applied to individual instrumental parts like solos or section parts that don’t use divisi or otherwise
    split the section into playing chords from a single MIDI track.

In contrast, using CC#64 is more flexible and can potentially give superior results but requires more
    work on the part of the user. It is up to the user to place the CC#64 “switch” data in the MIDI tracks
    as needed. It is also up to the user to precisely determine note overlaps since the amount of note
    overlap won’t be automatically determined as with Auto-Legato. This gives the user great flexibility
    in adjusting the sound of the note transitions but requires considerable attention to detail to get the
    best results. Usually, a combination of carefully chosen note overlaps, CC#64 switching, and CC#21
    (release/decay) data will allow the user to craft the smoothest legato note transitions. Sometimes in
    section string parts it may even be advisable to avoid using CC#64 and just overlap the notes to best
    effect. It all depends on the type of transition the user desires. Experimentation is the key.

Most users will probably find themselves using a combination of the two types of legato, the choice
    dictated by the requirements of the track and the specific instruments being used in the composition.
    In the case of single line parts the user may wish to begin by using the convenient Auto-Legato and
    only changing the approach to CC#64 if Auto-Legato is insufficient for the desired results. If poly-
    phonic parts are needed then CC#64 is the correct choice.

One more thing to keep in mind: The MIDI controller CC#102 switches Auto-Legato on and off
    (0=off, 127=on.) This lets you place data in your tracks to activate Auto-Legato conveniently for
    single lines and turn it off for manual control during polyphonic or special case situations."

Simply described, here's what you do:

--AFTER the first note of a Legato passage has started, but before it ends, insert a CC64 event of 127 (On).
    --Make sure all the notes in the passage overlap slightly. Hand edit the overlaps so you don't have too much, just enough to blend the sounds.
    --At the end of the passage, insert a CC64 event of 0 (Off).
    --Edit your velocity values so they are all of low values.

As the manual explains in several places, once CC64 is engaged, the first part, the attack of the notes are truncated, helping with the Legato effect.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Arvid Peterson View Post
    GPO 4. Bb clarinet, violin, viola, cello. Any thoughts or feedback welcome.
    http://soundcloud.com/arvid-peterson/into-the-hollow
    I'm not quite sure where you are going with this short piece or this post! I mean, is it complete? Or perhaps you're wondering whether or not you should develop this idea? In any case, I was drawn right in and it seems to me that there is a lot you could do with it.

Hi Arvid,

Such great aggitation! When I listen to a piece like this; slightly dis-jaunted, an undercurrent trying to break through, and then finally doing so ... it's just so evocative.

Yes, I know it could be the germ of a much longer, developed piece of music ... but I loved this short, visceral cue as-is.

Nice job!

Frank

Wow Frank I think I actually blushed a little. I'm just back to this after giving it up about 20 years ago (worst decision of my life). Still re-learning a lot. Pretty humbled by some of the responses I've been getting. Looking forward to listening to some of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Arvid,

Such great aggitation! When I listen to a piece like this; slightly dis-jaunted, an undercurrent trying to break through, and then finally doing so ... it's just so evocative.
    Yes, I know it could be the germ of a much longer, developed piece of music ... but I loved this short, visceral cue as-is.

Nice job!

Frank

Hey Mabry - thx. Yeah that was the idea in full. I am thinking about developing it further at this point. I would suggest you take a listen to the score for Dracula that Philip Glass did as performed by Kronos Quartet. I've been studying that a lot lately. Glass's minimalist incidental music for scenes in the film is I think some of the best work he's done. Take a simple idea, expand on it over a minute or two and *BOOM!* The longest piece in the score is 4:41 but they average 1:30-2:30. This is a quite good example clocking in at 2:23. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGB5-d3EkA

Quote Originally Posted by Mabry View Post
    I'm not quite sure where you are going with this short piece or this post! I mean, is it complete? Or perhaps you're wondering whether or not you should develop this idea? In any case, I was drawn right in and it seems to me that there is a lot you could do with it.

Hey Randy! Thanks for the info. Kinda figuring this out as i go along. Now I have the sustain feature down, but it does require *lots* of cc editing. The reason I was curious was because I was using the notation samples so I can standardize my keyswitching notes (esp. for the strings - always the strings, right????) and the auto legato button didn't show in aria player. so, tinker fiddle faddle and learn. Thanks you're really supportive!!! Pleasure meeting you.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast