• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Mac vs. PC vs. Sequencer

Share/Bookmark

Mac vs. PC vs. Sequencer

Eh...hem..O.k. Maybe I`m opening up a dirty Can o` Worms here.
    Heres the Question:Explain why u think a PC or a Mac and your particular sequencer has an advantage over another(i.e Why Logic on a Mac is better than say Cubase SX on a PC).Other than what your comfortable with,whats the REAL difference?
    Lets try to keep this civil, shall we? Rich Pell

Re: Mac vs. PC vs. Sequencer

PaPa, please close this thread immediately!

It\'s already getting out of hand in the sequencer smoking thread!

I use both Performer and Logic on a Mac (and I have nothing against Cubase, but it doesn\'t support my Pro Tools hardware).

Apart from Logic having the EXS24 sampler, more features in its notation section (especially lyrics), and the ability to support multiple audio hardware systems (which is handy to me for somewhat obscure reasons), the differences mostly come down to details in their user interfaces. Performer makes it easier to edit wind control performaces, for example, because you can move notes with associated controller data more easily. Performer has a \"dim\" solo function for MIDI tracks. I find Logic\'s piano roll editing screen easier, and the way it presents data in the main window is easier for me to work with (because you can slide everything around more easily).

In other words, it\'s a matter of how you like to work. There\'s not really any objective \"this one is better\" argument, because different things are important to different people.

Both are amazing programs. Logic takes a little longer to learn, although it\'s not as difficult as people make it out to be. They could make it much easier to learn with some less cryptic labels, although once you figure them out it wouldn\'t make any difference. Examples: both the notation editor and the other editors have something labeled \"Qua\" (quantize), but the one in the notation screen is just the display quantize. Why not label it as such? And the field where you define a track\'s destination is labeled \"Cha.\" WTF?! But once you know that, you know it.

I\'m sure Cubase has similar plusses and minuses. It\'s hard to imagine anyone not being happy with any of the major sequencers are this stage. They\'ve all had lots of bright people working on them for years.

I know your half-joking Marsdy but my real enquiry is weither theres any real sonic advantage between Macs and PC`s and different Sequencers.Like ,(and i dont believe this but) some people swear that Cubase sounds different than Pro tools!I`m surprised that nobody has an opinion on this...Rich

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    I know your half-joking Marsdy but my real enquiry is weither theres any real sonic advantage between Macs and PC`s and different Sequencers.Like ,(and i dont believe this but) some people swear that Cubase sounds different than Pro tools!I`m surprised that nobody has an opinion on this...Rich
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The sound quality differences between brands of audio interface are far more marked than the differences between software which are so negligable they can be ignored IMO. I can\'t hear any significant difference between Logic, DP and Pro Tools which we use. Logic has a funny panning law which makes you think it sounds different but... There are more important issues than differences this small IMO.

For example, my mic pre with digital out sounds slightly better than the convertors in my RME Multiface which sounds pretty close to a Digi 96 I/O, both being significantly better than a MOTU 2408 Mk 1 and light years ahead of the convertors in our 02R which I will be glad to see the back of.

Hello,

I used to run an Atari with Cubase 3 which never ever worked. I had happy years thereafter with a PowerMac and Opcode studio Vision Pro (maybe the best midi + 8 track audio prog ever?) but the noise from the Mac was unbelievable. It worked, regardless of the noise for many years.

Then I went PC last year with Logic Platinum on a PC which is tuely quiet. I am grateful I will get no upgrades beyond 5.5.1 because now I have the time to really learn the prog without getting new features too soon. The EXS24 Mk2 is wonderful and currently works better for me than Kontakt.

I wonder if we are near the end of evolution of the computer sequencer and a new breed of computer instruments will take over as computing power increases?

Best wishes,

Monty

Switching from DP to Logic on the same exact hardware has made my audio sound better. Just as much as going from Unity 2.x to Unity 3.1.

There\'s definitely something to the way software makes your audio sound.

The problem is that for the most part it\'s very subjective....no one can tell for sure which sequencer sounds best. I have done projects at studios here in Orlando on a SSL with the most exotic outboard gear and pre-amps that money can buy and have come out with something that (to me) sounded worse than my built-in Mac output. On the other hand I still can\'t reach the sonic quality of some mixes done on an old Soundcraft Spirit live from MIDI modules out to DAT. But that\'s just me!

Logic sounds best to my ears! Incidentally enough, 5,5 sounded better to me than 6.1, pretty weird huh?

Originally posted by midphase:
    PaPa, please close this thread immediately!

It\'s already getting out of hand in the sequencer smoking thread!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He,He, I was going to ask this on that \'sequencer smokin`\' thread.But i thought I`d create and new one cause that ones massive.I`m not trying to start a war here,Its just with the advent of really powerful PC`s(there was a time in the not so distant past where Mac ruled supreme for audio and grafix)I`d like to hear what people think the dis/advantages of different brands of computers and sequencers are?Can the differences affect the sound etc. etc....

My Mac biased sweeping generalisations are as follows.

Ask a PC person and they\'ll say PCs are better.

Ask a Mac person and they will say Macs are better.

Ask a person who uses both PCs and Macs and they will say they love their Macs and use a PC because they have to, usually to run Gigastudio.

Ask the majority of professional musicians and studios what they sequence on and they will say a Mac.

Macs are generally far easier to set up and troubleshoot. For example, it takes about 20 seconds and a restart to configure Mac OS9 to run Pro Tools. Compare that with Dave Casey\'s (excellent) PDF instructions for setting up XP.

Macs cost more for the same reason Mercedes cost more than Fords.

Both Macs and PCs will get the job done in the same way that both a Mercedes and a Ford will get you from A to B.

I\'d rather have a Mercedes than a Ford but I can\'t afford one because I prefer Macs to PCs

Bill Gates = Darth Vader, enabler of corporate greed
    Steve Jobs = Luke Skywalker, enabler of artistic endevour.

This last point is garbage. Steve Jobs is a raging egomaniac and I suspect a bully whereas Bill Gates is simply a hyper rich dork who has a knack for buying/borrowing other peoples technology.

I\'m being silly now so before I loose any more stars....

What he said!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast