• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone have feedback on Ultimate Strings

Share/Bookmark

Anyone have feedback on Ultimate Strings

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Ultimate Strings Gigasampler version with either Vitous or the Advanced Orchestra samples. We\'ve got some great input on this forum on AO & Vitous but haven\'t heard from anyone who can compare them with Ultimate Strings. Any specific info relative to how their use of gigasampler capabilities would also be appreciated.

Re: Anyone have feedback on Ultimate Strings

hi slagni,

ultimate strings sounds very good, but GS version is simply the converted AKAI version, no special work is done for GS. Great violins and celli, but too less violas and basses. No special play techniques. Because of the great sounds this library is a great add on to AO or Vitos!

Is there any special \'work\' (i.e. resampling) for gigasampler for the vitous or advanced orchestra sample libraries?

hi bailey,

I have done the complete reprogramming for Advanced Orchestra Gigasampler which is shipped since 2 months.

The Ultimate Strings are also available as GS version, but the quality of programming is poor. But it offers very goog violins and celli, but too less violas and basses.

Vitos may shi in November or so, but nowbody knows...

Here detailed information about Advanced orchestra:

First Technical points:

AO is in native GS format and optimized for efficient work with GS. Example is the key dimension controll and the crossfade features giving you fast and direct realtime acess to many play techniques and you can now load a full orchestra with all play techniques on 16 Midi Channels (therefore I recommend 512 Mb RAM). I added legato versions to the sets, improved the whole tuning, problematic sounds of the old library are fixed (e.g. crescendi (flutes!) have constant tuning now, many noises on the woodwinds are reduced, all attacks are optimized for a more orchestral sound and the percussions are available as user friendly sets, with looped tremoli and additional release sounds.
    Vitos: Available as AKAI, GS version MAY comes end of this year. Importing will cause many loops klicking and masses of small GIG´s with cryptic AKAI names. To get the full playing range of only the Violins e.g. you need over 8 Midi Channels, because every technique has to be loaded to a seperate \"slot\".

Sound:

Vitos sounds great, no question, warm, full sounding strings. But if you mix vitos togheter with other instruments you will find there is too less structure in the sound. In AO you have more details (slight bow noises etc.) which make the mix sound more realistic.
    AO contains a additional pre-mixed f/mp vibrato string set, which sounds very vitos like and very rich and provides crossfading f/mp for natural articulations
    All AO string sounds available with short, natural decay for bound phrases and with long release for atmospheric sounds often used in scoring
    The solo strings now get natural expression by using key dim/crossfade techniques.

Holger: Am I to assume that you did the programming for the standard Gigasampler version - regardless of where you purchase it?

sorry slagni, but I don´t understand this question...

But yes, I did the programming (3 hard months from the scratch on)

As far as Ultimate strings goes, I\'ve been using the Violins banks that came with GS. I go back and forth on them. Sometimes I think they sound no better than my Roland warm strings synth patch, but when I mix the lower range of the violins in with Vitous for legato passages, they really add a nice realistic texture to the sound.

My recommendation is to pick up the entire set of AO if you need a full orchestra to start with (get the GS version). It\'s a bargain. When your budget increases, be sure to add the entire Vitous library as well.

-Patrick

Originally posted by patrick:

My recommendation is to pick up the entire set of AO if you need a full orchestra to start with (get the GS version).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree.

What\'s the fun in digging out old posts? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

AO is a great all-pupose lib.

Go Back to forum