• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legend of Erthia OST - Tragedy

Share/Bookmark

The Legend of Erthia OST - Tragedy

Here is one of the tragic songs... cough cough... I mean compositions I created for The Legend of Erthia. "Had to throw that one in there Randy! LOL!"

The song will be used to illustrate a devastating event that takes place in the game.

The libraries used in this composition include: Garritan Instant Orchestra and Diva Revamp.

Re: The Legend of Erthia OST - Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Here is one of the tragic songs... cough cough... I mean compositions I created for The Legend of Erthia. "Had to throw that one in there Randy! LOL!"

The song will be used to illustrate a devastating event that takes place in the game....
    More nicely done, effective music from you, Sururick. This piece sounds like it fits the bill for the moment you've described in the game.

um--I've highlighted the first words in your second paragraph Sururick. hehe--You just can't let go of that totally inappropriate label for your music. Seriously, you gotta get that word out of your vocabulary - until you write an actual Song, then I'll let ya use it. You want to be taken seriously - don't call pieces like this songs. Later on, you'll be glad I got tough with you about that!

This isn't just a personal preference of mine - I'm trying to help you stop using a term that could cause you embarrassment when you have the attention of a music biz or game world guy who could help you out.

Randy

Thanks for the feedback and help Randy. I was just teasing about the song remark. I do want to learn how to create an actual song though. I am only used to composing these kinds of pieces.

i know that how you can create an actual song will like to discuss me about that creation of song???
    i have sung many songs and i like it very much..

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and help Randy. I was just teasing about the song remark. I do want to learn how to create an actual song though. I am only used to composing these kinds of pieces.
    Well, you should try writing music in any genre you're interested in trying. But keep in mind that a huge percentage of people writing instrumental music aren't interested in writing Songs in the literal, most commonly understood definition of Songs.

There are people writing "serious" vocal music, but when we're talking about the most common kind of Song, we're talking about popular music - and that can span from the nice, old-fashioned kind of songs being written for Disney animation features, to country, alternative rock, straight ahead rock, rap - etc. Popular music used to be a bit more sophisticated than most popular music heard today, but that broad, general category of "Pop" has always been something of a distant and "poor" cousin to serious music. The simplicity, dictated by the limitations of the average vocal range, and the need for pop music to be "memorable" i.e. easy to learn - those factors have always held true for pop, and the very factors that make most serious composers look down and even sneer on the genre.

So there's no compelling reason for you to write "songs" - what you're currently composing is more sophisticated than most pop songs. It's really a whole different area to get into, and one which most composers dismiss as almost not even being real music.

My current Listening Room post is a Song, very simple and repetitive--Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus twice. "The River is the Reason." Its style is suited to the project - a family oriented stage musical. I'm happy with it, had a great time writing it, but have no delusions that any serious composer would admire it.

And so forth. Write what you want. I think your game soundtrack work must be very rewarding, you're doing it well. Branch out to other types of music if you find yourself really wanting to expand. That's all. But don't aspire to write songs for the wrong reasons.

Randy

Go Back to forum