• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: It's back.... (Garritan Chat)

Share/Bookmark

It's back.... (Garritan Chat)

Hello all! I somewhat dropped off the face of the earth for over half a year, and greatly missed these forums. Thought it might be nice to catch up with everyone again. I dug up the old chat client we were using before:

http://qwebirc.swiftirc.net/?channels=#garritan

Stop by if you want to chat about music, anything related to music, or any other random thing that comes to mind!
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Re: It's back.... (Garritan Chat)

I'm in the channel... if anyone wants to drop by. I see an idle michaelm there too right now.

Just type a 'Silh' on a blank line and it'll beep and notify me if I happen to be alt-tabbed in a different window.
    -- Matt Wong

Some more people should drop by and join us! Come on Randy, I know you want to.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Some more people should drop by and join us! Come on Randy, I know you want to.
    Well now, that's very nice of you to give me that personal invitation, Michael. And since you invited me, I need to give you a reply here.

Basically - Ever since first getting online, I've just never enjoyed real-time chats. In fact, they make me uptight. It's true that the old public chat rooms I used to try out were horrible places, where the "chat" was mostly a free-for-all argument, mixed with outrageous sexual stuff - there was no constructive point getting involved with those.

But besides those kind of places, when I've tried private chats with people who are interested in the same topic, like the Garritan chat, it's still been an unpleasant crazy-making experience for me. It triggers my anxiety issues that I try to avoid stimulating.

So, even when this Forum was really active, and there was the weekly chat with Gary there and everything - I never looked in on the room. I just didn't want to do it.

Awhile back I was talked into getting Skype - I quickly discovered how I Hate the feature of being discoverable. People would pop up and want to talk when I was already busy. Well, I figured out that one can turn the privacy thing on so people can't see you're online or not. And so I've kept Skype on the machine, but I've used it a small handful of times, only when I absolutely needed to have a short and specific conversation with someone.

And so forth. I'm just not a chat room person. So - I hope this boring posts explains why it's nothing personal, it's just a phobia of mine that prevents me from getting involved.

Thanks anyway!

Randy

Ahh, well, that's that then. Though if you ever happen to change your mind, we'd be happy to see you there.

And to anybody else as well, feel free to drop in!
    -- Matt Wong

That's fine Randy. As Silh said, if you ever change your mind, feel free to drop in.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Well, I have tried the chat link http://qwebirc.swiftirc.net/?channels=#garritan and nothing happens. No error note, no pop-ups, - nothing.

Tom's post made me curious to see if the link would work for me. I was taken to a log-in page, and looked right. I typed in my user name here from the Forum and was taken to another page with two buttons. But there wasn't any place to type. Is that because it has to be activated by you, Michael?

Randy

There should be an input field at the bottom of your window where you can type. Don't know if this was due to the server being on a fritz yesterday since I couldn't connect either, but it seems to be working fine right now for me.

(Edit: And no, doesn't have to be activated by anyone, anybody can join the channel regardless of if anyone else is around or not).
    -- Matt Wong

I just tried the chat link again. And again, nothing on the opening page.

Go Back to forum