• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's a 'key dimension'?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s a \'key dimension\'?

I have an Xsample library which uses \'key dimensions\'. I\'m assuming these are for realtime control of some specified parameters? Is something supposed to happen when I press those keys? Can these be remapped to midi controllers? I don\'t have an 88-key controller so having key dimensions in the C1 range is hard to deal with.

Re: What\'s a \'key dimension\'?

The best way is to change the key dimension range in the instrument properties (Patch Editor). C1=24, C2=36, C3=48, C4=60, C5=72, C6=84, C7=96.
    Hope this helps.

Georg

The key dimensions switch between various playing techniques, articulations, etc. Using MIDI notes at the bottom of the keyboard has become a common way to trigger theses changes and is used in several libraries. This arrangement is good for the stage musician doing live performance. I find it a poor setup for doing sequenced performance, especially working from notation. The keyboard range of many common instruments is moved up an octave or two to accommodate the control keys. If you combine libraries that do that with those that don’t, it gets to be a real nuisance.

The good news is that it’s easy to reprogram the dimension control to some other MIDI controller. Just make sure it’s not in use somewhere else in the instrument (filter, attenuation, etc.)

Hi Bill,

I think you are right key dimensions are a problem for notation, but as far as I know the key ranges of playable notes on the Xsample Library are on the exact place of notation.

There is a little different between key dimension controller and other Midi controller:
    You can easier switch between layer espcially if there are many switches. The Midi controller are allways using multiple of the number 2. Key dimension controller can also have for instance 3 or 5 switches.

Georg

I only have the Xsample string volume (so far). The cello is two octaves above its normal range.

I don’t follow your second point. As far as I know, any dimension is in multiples of two.

Hi Bill,

I have also this Xsample CD. I don\'t understand, what do you mean:
    >The cello is two octaves above its normal range.<
    I can\'t find out a wrong range. (I am playing a little bit cello by myself). The range is very large, but it\'s on the exact place.

I saw the differents between the normal Midi controller and the key dimension controller on Xsample Library. They programmed for instance (Cello/.spicc,col legno, pizz) a key range from C1 to D1. There are only 3 switches programmed!

Georg

I’m sorry Georg. You’re right. I had it mixed up with AO, which I was working on at the same time.

.spicc, col legno, pizz [C1-D1] does have 4 ‘switches’ though. It’s just that 3 and 4 are the same.

Oh, yes you are right, they used 4 switches.
    But however one is hided, I think it\'s the switch 3. I tried a little bit, you can only >hide< switches with the key dimension controller.

Georg

I have Xsample vol. 1 and AO strings, I really loved the Key Dimension thing.
    I would like to have Crhonic Horns (Akai to gig)using the Key Dimension to change between Swell, Stab, Sustain and fall articulations. How can I program key Dimensions in this case ?

Go Back to forum