• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: MIDI files for Instant Orchestra demos?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb MIDI files for Instant Orchestra demos?

I'm wondering if there is any way that Garritan could release some of the MIDI sequences behind the Instant orchestra demos -- I'm especially interested in Randy Bowser's demo and some of Robert Davis' sequences. I just want to be able to pick them apart and see how some of the sounds were achieved....

Re: MIDI files for Instant Orchestra demos?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguiN42 View Post
    I'm wondering if there is any way that Garritan could release some of the MIDI sequences behind the Instant orchestra demos -- I'm especially interested in Randy Bowser's demo and some of Robert Davis' sequences. I just want to be able to pick them apart and see how some of the sounds were achieved....
    Hi, PenguiN42 - Thanks for your interest!

I did several demos for IO, and produced them all in Sonar. Do you by any chance use Sonar?--because to share a "cwp" (Cakewalk Project file) with you would show you a lot more than just a generic MIDI file version. I could cook up a MIDI file for you though, and it would still be helpful. The drag about MIDI files is that info about a specific soft synth can't be included, so you'd have to do a lot of setting up by hand to get the tracks hooked up correctly to ARIA - and of course all that would open automatically in the Sonar file.

Let me know which demo you'd like to study, and in what format. I'm pleased someone would like to investigate that work!

Randy

DITTO. I use Sonar as well. Never thought to ask for these!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    DITTO. I use Sonar as well. Never thought to ask for these!!
    Well now hey! I never thought of offering them. OK, it'll just take a little organization on my part, opening those projects up again to check if they need any explanatory notes, and also to make MIDI file versions if that's what Penguin needs. Give me a day or two and I'll have stuff. Great!

Randy

Penguin - I've been taking a look at the demos I did for IO, there are 6 of them.

The first one listed at the main Garritan business site is labeled "IO5 demo" - described as being "done in the style of epic cinematic Sci-Fi adventures." I think this may be the one you were particularly interested in? It's the theme music used in the opening and ending of my video tutorials.

Please let me know if that's the one you have in mind. It, and any of the demos, would need a bit of adapting before I could share them. They were produced when IO was still in the Beta testing stage, and in some cases, instruments used in the demos were either re-named or changed completely, so the files don't load completely as-is in order to work in the final publicly released version of IO. I would go ahead and do what I can to adapt the files, but wouldn't want to put the time in on a file you weren't wanting to investigate.

Also do let me know if you use Sonar, since these are Sonar files in their original form, or if you need a MIDI file.

Randy

Hi Randy!

Wow I didn't expect this quick response I do have Sonar installed, so I can read cwp's no problem.

The "IO5 demo" epic cinematic one was the one that piqued my interest. Sorry to hear it's gonna be some work to port it to the latest version, I wouldn't want to be too much of a bother. But it would be a cool reference...

What are the other demos you're referring to? Your video tutorials or something else?

Hi Randy!

Wow I didn't expect this quick response I do have Sonar installed, so I can read cwp's no problem.

The "IO5 demo" epic cinematic one was the one that piqued my interest. Sorry to hear it's gonna be some work to port it to the latest version, I wouldn't want to be too much of a bother. But it would be a cool reference...

What are the other demos you're referring to? Your video tutorials or something else?
    Hey, Pengy - Great to hear from you. Really good deal that you have Sonar - That way, all the instruments will load automatically for you, and you'll easily dig into whatever I was doing.

I'm looking at that particular file tonight, and it'll take a bit more time, but I don't mind doing it. You and others will benefit from it, so it's a worthy project. What I'm finding is that some instruments were slightly re-named, a good example, what's called "Harp Glisses Up Rapid" was originally called "Harp Gliss Up Rapid"--singular instead of plural. So naturally, ARIA couldn't find that file. But once I looked up what the current name is, I re-loaded the instrument. Things like that. I'll have this ready in a day or so, and post it here on this thread.

I did a total of 6 IO demos. Some are on the Garritan page about IO, others were posted here at this Forum. They're kind of scattered around now.

But this sci-fi epic style one is a good file to reference. It should be of some interest for people like you wanting to see what all was going on there.

Thanks again for asking.

Randy

Smile Re: MIDI files for Instant Orchestra demos?

I think this method is the best way for me as a newbie to learn. I get IO a few months ago, and after I heard the demos I thought asking the same questions. I'm not using Sonar for now, but I will get it if Randy will help us with files.

Roger

Wink Re: MIDI files for Instant Orchestra demos?

What an extremely generous offer, Randy.

It would interest me greatly too to see how you achieved these orchestrations.
    I'm using Sonar 7 PE, so a project file would work well for me too.

Even if it takes you some days to come up with something you are happy to share with us, I think that it would be a fantastic learning resource for so many budding MIDI orchestrators. I count myself amongst those still learning the craft.

It has always seemed rather strange to me that more MIDI files and, in the case of GPO, .ariax files, have not been available from the producers of orchestral libraries to show learners how to achieve quality results.

I can understand that composers may not want to share the "nuts 'n bolts" of their compositions, but there is such a wealth of music, now out of copyright, that could be used for demonstration purposes, I wonder why it isn't done.

Thank you once again for the offer, Randy.
    Incredibly generous of both your material and time ... as usual.

Kind regards,
    John.

amazing work!! Thanks i've been following the tutorials! Though i have cubase i will have to do some extra reading.

Thank you again!!

P.s midi file would be very nice...you can learn much from the see the layout. Also i'm particular interested in that volume vs expression vs velocity ole chestnut. and how to understand and use them effectively...or 'when' to use them!!

Go Back to forum