• Register
  • Help

Topic: King Lear Music (Sirulnikoff)

Share/Bookmark

King Lear Music (Sirulnikoff)

Hi All,

This is two short pieces (Fanfare and Cortege) for two Trumpets and two Trombones. All parts are GPO4 and JABB3.

King Lear Music

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Re: King Lear Music (Sirulnikoff)

Hi, Jack - Of course you know I'm always interested in music for theatre, so I lit up when I saw that you'd posted some cues for Shakespeare.

I like your fanfares for "Lear." They're a good blend of what's expected in fanfares, and unique touches that make them unique.

Nice, also, that you re-visited music from the past - It's exciting to dust off past work and work it up again, isn't it?

Please allow me a rendering observation. The effectiveness of the recordings is diminished somewhat because of the quantization. The instruments sound like they're all playing at exactly the same time, with the usual unnatural result. Well, this is from Finale, right? Maybe an experiment with a "humanization" setting would render something more realistic.

But nice work - Post more of your "Lear" work perhaps?

Randy

I like these queues. I have to agree with Randy, though, that the rendering doesn't help them, particularly the quieter moments of the second queue. On the other hand, I could hear what you were getting at and think they could be very effective with live instruments in a production.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Jack - Of course you know I'm always interested in music for theatre, so I lit up when I saw that you'd posted some cues for Shakespeare.

I like your fanfares for "Lear." They're a good blend of what's expected in fanfares, and unique touches that make them unique.

Nice, also, that you re-visited music from the past - It's exciting to dust off past work and work it up again, isn't it?

Please allow me a rendering observation. The effectiveness of the recordings is diminished somewhat because of the quantization. The instruments sound like they're all playing at exactly the same time, with the usual unnatural result. Well, this is from Finale, right? Maybe an experiment with a "humanization" setting would render something more realistic.

But nice work - Post more of your "Lear" work perhaps?

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for listening and commenting.
    Although I didn't use quantization as such, I simply used Aria in standalone mode with my MIDI file, which effectively would I suppose be like from Finale. I actually have Sonar 6, but I'm having too many problems with it (e.g. notes being dropped, different views with values not agreeing e.g. CC7 in Aria and track view). I know that you and others use Sonar very effectively, so I don't know why I'm having so many problems with it, but I do.

As I recall, the only other 'music' I did for the King Lear production was improvised electronic sound for the storm effect etc.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I like these queues. I have to agree with Randy, though, that the rendering doesn't help them, particularly the quieter moments of the second queue. On the other hand, I could hear what you were getting at and think they could be very effective with live instruments in a production.
    Hi Trent,

Thanks for listening and commenting.

I think I originally had them play very soft, and suddenly very loud. However, with the samples, I like the contrast between the bucket mute sound for the soft part, and the open loud part.

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    ...Although I didn't use quantization as such, I simply used Aria in standalone mode with my MIDI file, which effectively would I suppose be like from Finale. I actually have Sonar 6, but I'm having too many problems with it (e.g. notes being dropped, different views with values not agreeing e.g. CC7 in Aria and track view). I know that you and others use Sonar very effectively, so I don't know why I'm having so many problems with it, but I do...
    Hi, Jack - Maybe we can get a thread going in General Discussion about some of those issues.

Here's one thing - dropped notes are caused by having one of the buffer settings too small in Sonar. I should show you exactly where that control is - I'll do that over in General. I don't know what you mean by different views with values not agreeing - we can straighten that out in a discussion thread also. CC7 in Track View controls the faders in ARIA's mixer, as far as that goes.

The quantization question - If this was created by inserting notes in your MIDI files, that causes quantization. That's why music coming out of a notation program sounds robotic unless a humanization filter is used.

Anyway - If you want to discuss Sonar more, let's do that in General.

Randy

Go Back to forum