• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Score Manager

Share/Bookmark

Score Manager

Of all the problems I have run into (and with the help of many others fixed) here is a new and very frustrating one. I decided I want to change the volume of a particular instrument and the manual tells me to go to “score manager” and click the triangle to the left of the instrument. When I do that, I get a drop down which reads line 1, line 2, line 3, and line 4, and expressions. Nothing happens when I click on any of those. Also, when the score manager initially opens, I see only a part of it. In other words the frame it is in is too small. No apparent way of opening it wider or sliding the contents to use them.
    I tried going to the Mixer, but it keeps telling me to go to the Score Manager.
    I finally opened the studio view and did it there.
    Any suggestions?

Re: Score Manager

customize -> mix

the volume column will appear.

So you're talking about Finale, Tom? You bought Sibelius awhile back, and thought you'd bagged Finale - but for several posts now, I think you're saying you're back to Finale?

In Sib, one of the basic windows, the mixer, has all your instruments in a piece with volume sliders - you just adjust as needed.

Randy

Randy: Yes. I am using Finale 2012. I spent quite a while with Sibelius, but found it extremely awkward when entering via computer keyboard. Very slow and not at all intuitive.

cqcowboy: Nowhere in Score Manager do I see “customize” except to change the listing order of the instruments in the score. There is no “mix,” “customize” or “volume column.”

As a result I went directly to the mixer, but it keeps sending me back to the score manager. Catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Randy: Yes. I am using Finale 2012. I spent quite a while with Sibelius, but found it extremely awkward when entering via computer keyboard. Very slow and not at all intuitive...
    That's too bad, Tom - quite a chunk of change wasted on Sib then. I remember you were so fed up with Finale, too bad the alternative didn't work for you.

Very surprised you found it to be the opposite of what most users think it is - super fast and a very intuitive notation program. We never know how We will adapt to a program until we try it - but for me it takes months to get up to what I'd consider "speed" on anything, I can't find out in just a couple of weeks.

Last I heard you were still struggling with the Garritan soundsets that people kept posting for you. - Maybe you never untangled that?

Well, best of luck with the Finale issues. Onwards!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    cqcowboy: Nowhere in Score Manager do I see “customize” except to change the listing order of the instruments in the score. There is no “mix,” “customize” or “volume column.”

As a result I went directly to the mixer, but it keeps sending me back to the score manager. Catch 22.

once you select the "MIX" option in the customize view drop-down panel, you get a new column of information:

Instrument | Name | M(ute) | S(olo) | Vol(ume) | Pan

Look at the image, top left.
    I didn't lie to you.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

once you select the "MIX" option in the customize view drop-down panel, you get a new column of information:

Instrument | Name | M(ute) | S(olo) | Vol(ume) | Pan

Look at the image, top left.
    I didn't lie to you.
    The problem is not with what you told me, it’s with what I see (or more accurately don’t see) when I open the score manager. My view stops on the right side at the words notation style. There is no way to open the score manager wider or to move the information to the left in order to see the information on the right side which contains the “customize view” or “help.” If I could see what you see things would be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's too bad, Tom - quite a chunk of change wasted on Sib then. I remember you were so fed up with Finale, too bad the alternative didn't work for you.

Very surprised you found it to be the opposite of what most users think it is - super fast and a very intuitive notation program. We never know how We will adapt to a program until we try it - but for me it takes months to get up to what I'd consider "speed" on anything, I can't find out in just a couple of weeks.

Last I heard you were still struggling with the Garritan soundsets that people kept posting for you. - Maybe you never untangled that?

Well, best of luck with the Finale issues. Onwards!

Randy
    After two months of trying the free download of Sibelius and nearly a month of trying the purchased material, I realized that Finale is much easier to use with point and click entry, and the midi set-up is much more user friendly for me. That is not to say there is anything wrong with Sibelius; just that I prefer the way Finale has things arranged.

I did receive a solution for the Garritan soundsets from the company. I was able to make the corrections using the studio view. I would, now, like to find out what I can do to get the score manager window (a really quite nice feature) to open up fully.

In the meantime, using Finale and Garritan, I have been able to write and sell three more pieces. Onward and upward.

Thanks so much, Randy, for all your help. By-the-way, the Sibelius was only $150, so no complaints there.

that is VERY odd about what you cannot see of the Score manager.

what resolution is your screen set to? maybe trying to change it might help?

you should definitely write it up and send it in to MakeMusic as a bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    that is VERY odd about what you cannot see of the Score manager.

what resolution is your screen set to? maybe trying to change it might help?

you should definitely write it up and send it in to MakeMusic as a bug report.
    I have changed the screen resolution from 125% down to 50% - while the main page changes, the score manager window stays relatively the same – meaning that the right side cannot be seen. The manual says that the score manager window can be enlarged by clicking on the bottom right corner and pulling it to the desired size. Not so. It simply does not do that – from any corner.

So far the company has not found a way around the problem either. I can work around it, but things would be much easier if I could get the whole window for score manager.

Go Back to forum