• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigabrass / Jinjees Horns?

Share/Bookmark

Gigabrass / Jinjees Horns?

I was wondering, IOComposer (you\'re the guy right?), any news on Gigabrass, since I thought this project sounded very good. Your SW demo was amazing.

I just purchased Jinjees Horns: orchestral solo brass and they\'re quite good. I do have some complaints about them though... Especially I think the trumpets are not that good - maybe because of limitations of the performer or the instrument itself, I don\'t know - I just don\'t get that razorsharp \'John Williams feel\' from them.

Well on to the general programming... Isn\'t it possible in gigasampler to use crossfadings or something? The instruments seem to just change vel. layer at some specific point which doesn\'t sound very natural. And then, the dimension control is nice, but all of the staccatos are f (or ff) - why? It is possible for players to play p and mf staccatos, and having them inthere would make it a lot more useful, since the staccatos as it is can\'t really be used (especially not the french horn ones) in sequence with the legatos, to create some melodyline which changes between staccato and legato, since the staccatos are always right in your face.

I was wondering about the Gigabrass then - will it have velocity layering for staccto\'s as well? And what about crossfading?

Regards,
    Simon

Re: Gigabrass / Jinjees Horns?

Hi.

Glad you liked \'Jinjee\'s Horns\'.
    About your comments:

The trumpet was sampled with a mellow tone on purpose, because that\'s what we wanted, we are planning a more jazz oriented brass cd later on, those trumpets will have more edge to them. If we made the trumpets brighter on this one, someone else might have wanted a more mellow sound... but there you go...

To get a smoother transient between the layers you should have at least 6 layers instead of the four we use.
    The goal for Bigga Giggas right now are to produce great sample cd\'s for a great price, and I think we do. If we should do this on a bigger budget, the pricetag would be bigger to, and that\'s not what \'Bigga\' stands for.
    We, however, try to listen carefully what our customer thinks, and always try to incooperate those ideas into our products.

I think it\'s a good idea to sample more layers in the future, so we probably do that. In the mean time, enjoy your horns!

//Worra

Hi Simon.
    Based on the demos for Jinjee\'s brass, I think they did a pretty good job. However, I was a little put off by the complete sunshine that they displayed in the SonicControl review. It\'s simply not THAT good (pretty much 4s & 5s across the board), but then again it\'s extraordinary for the price they\'re charging (I can\'t eat dinner for $30 . I think it\'s really great that Worra and the gang have set out to empower the \"lesser means\" giga users.

The Quantum Leap horns are a really good professional grade brass set. I think that\'s a really good buy if you\'ve got the means. However, they still missed the boat as far as realism is concerned. I only say that because they sampled sections rather than multiple instruments for each section. When you play a three note chord with a three trombone section, you get 9 trombones. That simply sounds bad. That was one of the major problems with Miroslav\'s brass. I don\'t have QL brass, so if I\'m wrong on this I hope someone will correct me (if I\'m wrong, I\'ll go buy the library!)

My samples are coming along. I\'m actually doing work with them now. If you\'d like to hear some examples, please email me personally and I will send you some. They\'re sounding a lot better now than what I posted previously.

Regarding crossfades, I haven\'t been able to get GS to work correctly for this use. It would save a lot of memory if I could do this in software, but it simply isn\'t going to happen in GS. Nemesys promised it to work in GSt. If anyone knows how to get this to work, I would love some instruction. In the meantime, I simply just sampled 3 different speeds of Crescendos, and Sfz. It\'s the only way to get them to sound really good.

Anyway, email me at jscott@presto.com and I\'ll send you some stuff.
    -Jamey

To answer your question, Quantum Leap Brass has solo instrument and section samples of trumpets and trombones.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IOComposer:
    Hi Simon.
    Based on the demos for Jinjee\'s brass, I think they did a pretty good job. However, I was a little put off by the complete sunshine that they displayed in the SonicControl review. It\'s simply not THAT good (pretty much 4s & 5s across the board), but then again it\'s extraordinary for the price they\'re charging (I can\'t eat dinner for $30 . I think it\'s really great that Worra and the gang have set out to empower the \"lesser means\" giga users.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jinjee\'s Brass is indeed targeted at those who simply can\'t really afford the $700 multi-disk libraries, from what I gather. In the price range I think the library far surpasses anything that is currently on the market for under $100, in all areas (I can\'t honestly think of any other orchestral libraries that sell for under $100 that are of much value to the orchestral composer that actually are good enough to use professionally).

Of course, if I\'m missing another library like Solo Orchestral brass that does the job better for the price I would surely buy it in a second. As of now, I am not certain one exists.

The demos of Jinjee\'s brass are pretty good, but you have to fire up the library yourself and work with it on a much more intimate level to fully appreciate what it pulls off for 60 bucks.

Simon - On the subject of Trumpets, I\'m actually quite enjoying the sustained solo patches on Quantum Leap Brass (the review shall be ready shortly).

Ryan.

[This message has been edited by Synth2k (edited 05-10-2000).]

The GigaStudio will offer 4 way crossfades that can be controlled with any MIDI control parameter. (including velocity) These will allow for instance, a mod wheel controlled creshendo of a brass ensemble that will scroll through pp, mf, ff, fff in real time. Keep in mind that 4 layers of polyphony are being used at once with this but it is worth it for the realism. You could do velocity crossfade switching at the cost of polypony or simply do the existing switching with no polyphony cost. Depends on the content. QL brass if very nice by the way.
    Take care
    Dave

Go Back to forum