• Register
  • Help

Topic: STEINWAY B/POST PRISTINE PIANO

Share/Bookmark

STEINWAY B/POST PRISTINE PIANO

Posted this accidentally to the software forum:Is anyone using the Post Pristine Piano from Big Fish Audio and if so, how does it compare to the Traun Steinway B? Also soundsonline.com has lowered the price of the Steinway B and the Bosendorfer to $99.99.

Re: STEINWAY B/POST PRISTINE PIANO

Bruce Richardson is putting together a review of the ppp, which will I believe compare it with the Steinway B. I hope Bruce tells us when it\'s done. He really knows his stuff.

Thanks John-I assume Bruce writes for a trade publication? Anyway,spending 200 bucks is not chump change in my world, especially when opened software is not returnable-too bad, it might make for better samples!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john grant:
    Bruce Richardson is putting together a review of the ppp, which will I believe compare it with the Steinway B. I hope Bruce tells us when it\'s done. He really knows his stuff.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi gang,

OK, John, you\'re my official PR guy from now on. <g>

It\'s true, there\'s actually a huge issue coming up on ProRec.com--State of the Soft-Synth 2000. Some of you may have read last year\'s soft-synth issue, and we\'ll be picking up where we left off to look at what\'s happened in the industry since last summer.

A lot, I can tell you...

I\'ve been working on it since January. The issue was actually supposed to run in March, but we held it back...mainly because I was slammed with composing deadlines on my \"bread and butter\" gig, but also we wanted to feature GigaStudio.

As far as Giga content reviews, there\'s a big list. Included: PPP, Trachtman-C, VR Sound Module, GM500, Ultimate Orch Percussion, ALL the BiggaGiggas, Acoustic Essentials, Corrigan guitar, Quantum Leap Brass, and Post Accordians.

I\'m probably leaving something out, but I hope not! Clearly, a lot of listening and testing had to go into it just to get through all the material, and I\'m hoping to at least guide folks to the practical applications of all these libraries. Many are authored by folks that frequent this forum, and they are all good values. Whether they work for everyone\'s specific situations is another thing altogether, but that\'s the case with everything.

As far as the specific question about PPP, I just started working with it. It was the very last library we accepted for this issue. I think you can get a good idea of the basic tonal balance of the piano by the MP3 demos...you\'ll just hear more sparkle, space, and clarity in the real thin--same as with most MP3s.

Also, the soft-synth edition will include a look at the VST synths, the Yamaha WX5 Wind Controller, the Knobby controller, and GigaStudio (of course).

Last but not least, we\'re running an interview I did in January with Danny Lux. We\'ve even got a photo, so you can put a face to the tunes!! We talked about his typical schedule, Giga-stuff, and just stuff in general. Thanks go to Danny--he gives us a really good feel for the demands of being a 21st century Hollywood guy.

SO....I should stop typing here, and get back to work.

Best regards,

Bruce

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    clarity in the real thin--same as with most MP3s.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops!!! Should read \"real thing.\" I don\'t want the psychoanalysts in the house to say it was a Freudian slip!!

B

PR? I just tell it like I see it. The review on the Bos, Steinway, and GS was the best I\'ve read. BTW, Bruce, you might want to give folks the url for your site.

J.G. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html (That\'s MY url)

FYI-Eastwest has raised the price of the Steinway B and Bosendorfer back to $179.95-all the more reason to wait for Bruce\'s review!

If Bruce is reading this, let\'s hope he doesn\'t forget the \"Holy Grail\" piano sample. Last time I checked, it clocked in at $200.00 plus. I\'m sure not laying out that kind of money unless I know there\'s something good at the other end.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john grant:
    If Bruce is reading this, let\'s hope he doesn\'t forget the \"Holy Grail\" piano sample. Last time I checked, it clocked in at $200.00 plus. I\'m sure not laying out that kind of money unless I know there\'s something good at the other end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,

Is that a Q-up Arts release? I have not spoken with Doug in a few months about Holy Grail...it had not yet been converted to Giga when I did last year\'s Giga-review. I\'ll shoot him an email and see if we can get it in. I agree that it would be great to put it into the mix and see how it stacks up.

Best regards,

Bruce

Hi Guys,

According to the Qup website, Holy Grail is still not yet available. You can read about it there. We\'ll have to see if it\'s a contender with the Giga-specific instruments. It\'s looped from what I can tell. It might be a good pop instrument though, and we can always use help there.

Best regards,

Bruce

Go Back to forum