• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bigga Giggas hammond demo

Share/Bookmark

Bigga Giggas hammond demo

Hi.

The Hammond L-100 that I\'ve been working on are finally up for betatesting. You can however, download a mp3-demo.
    The demo was made from a free MIDI file I found on the net, and the music/playing could, I suppose, be considered a bit \'cheesy\', but anyway....
    The drums/bass comes from a standard SB GM soundset and sounds as drums and bass from... well, a standard GM soundset.

But, it would be nice to get comments at this time, since now is the time that the gig can be changed. Please check the info for the l100-beta to.

You can get the info from: www.biggagiggas.com and the go to the News page.

Worra

Re: Bigga Giggas hammond demo

Hey Worra
    Although \'cheesy\' as you say, the guy on the demo can certainly play
    The registration on the demo sounds great.
    (more please!)
    Any chance of giving us an idea of what the Gigastudio fast rotor simulation sounds like in a demo? I\'m not about to buy a leslie, and if the GSt doesn\'t have a good simulator, I\'d probably be looking for patches which have fast and slow leslie. (I understand the non-synched leslie problem with multiple samples, but I can live with it when the organ isn\'t \'starring\')
    You\'ve just about killed any argument people will have about not having their favourite hammond registration by using the clever idea of sampling each drawbar for each key.
    I regard this as the ultimate way to represent the organ (if only there were a couple more layers eh!).
    BTW Do you notice any noise building up as you add each drawbar? You know - transformer hum or whatever. Sometimes it\'s ok when you\'re playing the real hammond and there\'s a little hum/hiss added to the overall sound, but adding the same amount again and again with each drawbar could be a little hard to handle.
    I remember a string ensemble sample which sounded ok on one note, but was unbearably noisy when playing chords. We eventually realised that the mic noise from the whole recording setup was multiplied with every new note played.
    I certainly didn\'t hear anything odd in the demo.
    For those of us who are stingy with our polyphony, any chance of including some popular Hammond registrations - ie still sampling each note, but with all drawbars in their preset setting?
    In this scenario, maybe the fast and slow leslie samples would also be more practicable.
    On the demo, a few of the high notes had very high harmonics in them. Maybe it\'s been too long since I played a real hammond, but I remember that the drawbars used to \'fold back\' down an octave when you passed certain points on the keyboard. Have you replicated this on Sune\'s L100? If so, it must be too long since I played the real thing
    Great job Worra, I can\'t believe you went to so much trouble, but it makes a lot of sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Hey Worra
    Although \'cheesy\' as you say, the guy on the demo can certainly play
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, your\'e right about that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:

The registration on the demo sounds great.
    (more please!)
    Any chance of giving us an idea of what the Gigastudio fast rotor simulation sounds like in a demo? I\'m not about to buy a leslie, and if the GSt doesn\'t have a good simulator, I\'d probably be looking for patches which have fast and slow leslie. (I understand the non-synched leslie problem with multiple samples, but I can live with it when the organ isn\'t \'starring\')
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rotor simulation in Gigastudio is more of a chorus than leslie effect. Wouldn\'t it be great if someone developed a Leslie plugin for Gigastudio...

You\'ve just about killed any argument people will have about not having their favourite hammond registration by using the clever idea of sampling each drawbar for each key.
    I regard this as the ultimate way to represent the organ (if only there were a couple more layers eh!).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The final release will also include one gig/drawbar. This way you can, if you like, load all nine gigs as separat instruments, set your keyboard to send on all channels, and then use the volumecontrol for each gig to control the sound in excactly the same way as the real thing.

BTW Do you notice any noise building up as you add each drawbar? You know - transformer hum or whatever. Sometimes it\'s ok when you\'re playing the real hammond and there\'s a little hum/hiss added to the overall sound, but adding the same amount again and again with each drawbar could be a little hard to handle.

I remember a string ensemble sample which sounded ok on one note, but was unbearably noisy when playing chords. We eventually realised that the mic noise from the whole recording setup was multiplied with every new note played.
    I certainly didn\'t hear anything odd in the demo.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All samples has been carefully noice reducted, I can say that this is the quietest Hammond I ever heard, (witch doesn\'t say mutch... ; ) )

For those of us who are stingy with our polyphony, any chance of including some popular Hammond registrations - ie still sampling each note, but with all drawbars in their preset setting?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I\'ll be making some gigs that only contains a couple of drawbars, in some settings, for example the one in the demo, there\'s only three drawbars included, so that could be made as a smaller gig.
    And, because you get all drawbars as separat gigs, you can easily combine those yourself by merging instruments, witch is VERY simple with Gigastudio

On the demo, a few of the high notes had very high harmonics in them. Maybe it\'s been too long since I played a real hammond, but I remember that the drawbars used to \'fold back\' down an octave when you passed certain points on the keyboard. Have you replicated this on Sune\'s L100? If so, it must be too long since I played the real thing
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Youre absolutly right. Some of the drawbars in the L-100 havent got the same range as the others, they simply stop. In this beta some of the drawbars have been stretched in the highest region so that all drawbars covers the same keys. This has made the high notes sound \"squekie\". I\'m aware of that on for example a B3, they, as you say fold back. I\'ll try to find a spec over that, and make this exactly the same as in a B3/C3. Anyone can help me with this?

Great job Worra, I can\'t believe you went to so much trouble, but it makes a lot of sense.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you so mutch!

[This message has been edited by Worra (edited 06-18-2000).]

Yep, I\'ll be making some gigs that only contains a couple of drawbars, in some settings,for example the one in the demo, there\'s only three drawbars included, so that could be made as a smaller gig. And, because you get all drawbars as separat gigs, you can easily combine those yourself by merging instruments, which is VERY simple with Gigastudio

Worra, what I was thinking was more in terms of setting up popular presets, with all relevant drawbars in their correct positions, and sampling each preset note by note. That\'s how I thought you might save polyphony. One mono voice = up to all drawbars + (in some)percussion.

sorry, I should have put quotes from Worra around the first paragraph in the previous post.

I\'ve now made a better quality demo with Sunes L100. The CD is now is now betatesting, and a release candidate will be out after this weekend.
    With the new version you can control ALL 9 drawbars + there are lite versions of all gsp\'s
    Listen to the demo at www.biggagiggas.com newspage

Worra

Go Back to forum