• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Winds of the Amazon - Finale Contest Entry

Share/Bookmark

Winds of the Amazon - Finale Contest Entry

Here is my entry. Several silly Facebook snaffus caused many people to miss out on the voting. So, even the silly voting scheme worked against people. But now that the waiting is over, we can at least share what we made with the community. Very happy to have made the piece, and there are several good examples of what can be done with the Garritan Libraries.

Winds of the Amazon

I hope you enjoy the listen.

Jim

Re: Winds of the Amazon - Finale Contest Entry

Jim,

This is very nice! I love the jazz trumpet. The Tijuana brass would have loved this piece! How much of this was IO, World Instruments and GPO4? I mean what instruments from those did you use. I really like the mix and the energy the piece projects.

Thanks for sharing. I tried to listen to a lot of them on Facebook but there were sooooo many that I didn't have time to get to them all. I wish I had heard this one before voting was over.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Jim,

This is very nice! I love the jazz trumpet. The Tijuana brass would have loved this piece! How much of this was IO, World Instruments and GPO4? I mean what instruments from those did you use. I really like the mix and the energy the piece projects.

Thanks for sharing. I tried to listen to a lot of them on Facebook but there were sooooo many that I didn't have time to get to them all. I wish I had heard this one before voting was over.
    Thanks Rich, I had fun on this piece and got a bit inspired from my childhood memory of "Trust In Me" from the Jungle Book when I heard the Bass Flute play the motif.

I used the IO organic brass and earth drums and strings (and from GPO4 I think), JABB3 drums for the bossa drum kit and bongos, GPO4 for the nice violin, JABB3 flugelhorn (this is an impressive sound), bass flute from either JABB3 or GPO4 (cannot remember), and lots of percussion from JABB3/GPO4, and the Grand Symphonic Marimba from GPO4, and last but not least the BIRDS!!!!

There is no World Instruments in here (cause I don't have it).
    Last edited by jdsnyderii; 03-22-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: add more instruments to the list

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Here is my entry. Several silly Facebook snaffus caused many people to miss out on the voting. So, even the silly voting scheme worked against people. But now that the waiting is over, we can at least share what we made with the community. Very happy to have made the piece, and there are several good examples of what can be done with the Garritan Libraries.

Winds of the Amazon

I hope you enjoy the listen.

Jim
    Simply said, this is wonderful stuff. Congratulations.

Thanks, Jim, for getting yours up here too. I heard yours several times when I would go through checking on the progress of the contest. I always enjoyed listening - it's a really good piece. Great to hear one more time.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks, Jim, for getting yours up here too. I heard yours several times when I would go through checking on the progress of the contest. I always enjoyed listening - it's a really good piece. Great to hear one more time.

Randy
    Thanks Randy, and I do agree with Gary, that the entries were all good and showed off the libraries pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Thanks Randy, and I do agree with Gary, that the entries were all good and showed off the libraries pretty well.
    Wellll, there were some stinkers in there. And I'm not too impressed with some of the finalists - The one with "Rome" in the title, for instance. oh my - those opening horns. - !

But the worst ones didn't get many votes, like that totally electronic one--yikes!

It'll be interesting to see if those 10 finalists hold up to the scrutiny of the judges. Did they all use the theme clearly? Are the compositions original? Did they follow the prerequisite of having the music relate to a specific destination? Are the recordings well done? And the biggie - did they use only Garritan instruments? The finalists have to submit their original project files so the judges can see for themselves what instruments were used. It would be a drag if pieces that used other sound sources got into the finalist list - but that's the sort of thing the voters wouldn't have any idea about.

So, the remainder of the contest still holds some interest. And a lot of the entries were well done, and made good use of Garritan instruments - I'm just having to be honest, saying that there was a good handful of pretty dreadful entries also.

Randy

That's some nice writing, Mister Jim! It's too bad that it couldn't be lengthier (Is that a word?) but you were constrained by their time limit.

I like it. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    That's some nice writing, Mister Jim! It's too bad that it couldn't be lengthier (Is that a word?) but you were constrained by their time limit.

I like it. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Thanks Larry, I had thought of making it longer at some point. Not sure if I want to leave it as it is, but I might do that at some point. I am working on some other things, so I will likely come back to it a bit later after it "settles" in my head.

Excellent writing, Jim! Just excellent! What I'd like to hear, since the contest is over and done with, is you and the rest of the crew who entered the contest expand on what's been written. Add more material and make it, say, 3-5 minutes in length. There's so much creativeness with these tunes, I'd like to hear more!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum