• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dakota Sunrise

Share/Bookmark

Dakota Sunrise

Re: Dakota Sunrise

This is great stuff Tom. Because of my very limited experience with brass ensembles, I did not expect this range of color and dynamics. I thought you presented soft and gentle, thru bright and "brassy" sounds perfectly. I felt a lot of nice mood changes in this.
    Thanks a bunch for posting. Jay

Thank you kindly, Jay. Having not written for brass ensembles much I was hesitant to take on the project. I strongly believe that brass can be a wonderful effect at low volume and medium range. That’s not to say, of course, that it can’t blow your hat off when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Thank you kindly, Jay. Having not written for brass ensembles much I was hesitant to take on the project. I strongly believe that brass can be a wonderful effect at low volume and medium range. That’s not to say, of course, that it can’t blow your hat off when you least expect it.
    So true.
    ~Rodney

So what Garritan sounds did you use, and did you use a DAW?

I was enjoying your composition so much that I wanted it to be longer.
    ~Rodney

The music could easily have been longer, but it was commissioned as a dedicatory piece for a new building and had a distinct time element. I surely do appreciate that several people have enjoyed it.

I used COMB; 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones, Baritone, Tuba, Timpani and percussion. The music is bi-tonal at the beginning and end with very traditional harmonies in between. I forgot to add that I used Finale 2012 and Garritan samples. No DAW.

Randy,
    As with most things that I feel turn out right, I wrote it in just a couple of days, waited one day and then added expression and dynamics. The client was gracious enough to pay. J

Did I hear bVI (Ab) to V/vi (E) chord progressions? For a minute there toward the end I thought you were going to end the piece in A major. Just wondering though, any reason you wrote the work in C major and not Bb? Once again, I enjoyed the work!
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast