• Register
  • Help

Topic: Click in IO's "Wagner Brass"

Share/Bookmark

Click in IO's "Wagner Brass"

Hi all,

I'm having a lot of fun playing around with IO. However, I noticed a pretty obvious extraneous "click" in one of the Wagner Bass samples -- I guess it's D2? (The 3rd D up that has a sound in that patch).

Just thought I'd mention it for potential future fixes. Or, if the problem's on my end, I'm sure someone will tell me they don't hear it

Re: Click in IO's "Wagner Brass"

Oh dear, I've also picked up on some crackles in Earth Drums 2, note B1 (lowest B in the set)

Hi, PenguiN42

I tested both of those patches out. I heard no click on that Wagner Brass note, and no crackling on Earth Drums2.

Pops/clicks/crackling, when they aren't caused by imperfect loops, or by having levels set too high, are caused by not having your buffers large enough, either in ARIA or your recording program--possibly both.

In ARIA, click Settings and try a different setting for "Max Engine RAM Allocation"--the default is 512. In your recording program, there's a similar setting for your audio interface.

You need to look into those settings, because I'm playing the same samples and there are no clicks or crackling.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by PenguiN42 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm having a lot of fun playing around with IO. However, I noticed a pretty obvious extraneous "click" in one of the Wagner Bass samples -- I guess it's D2? (The 3rd D up that has a sound in that patch).

Just thought I'd mention it for potential future fixes. Or, if the problem's on my end, I'm sure someone will tell me they don't hear it
    Hi PenguiN42,

This click is either a valve click from the instrument, or perhaps one of the performers hitting their music stand. It's very slight, but we will address this in a future patch of Instant Orchestra. If the issue is bugging you, download this update Wagner Brass.sfz file as a workaround until then:

Download Wagner Brass

- Extract the zip
    - Go to your folder "Garritan\Instant Orchestra\Instruments\Brass Patches"
    - Rename your existing "Wagner Brass.sfz" to something like "Wagner Brass OLD.sfz"
    - Then place the new sfz file you just extracted into this folder

Quote Originally Posted by PenguiN42 View Post
    Oh dear, I've also picked up on some crackles in Earth Drums 2, note B1 (lowest B in the set)
    Those specific samples are very bass heavy, the crackles you are hearing are most likely due to clipping on the audio output of your track. To fix this simply reduce the volume on the track, or you can also try using the EQ on the Controls page to drop the low end slightly.

Hope that you are enjoying Instant Orchestra!

Best Regards,
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Hi PenguiN42,

This click is either a valve click from the instrument, or perhaps one of the performers hitting their music stand. It's very slight, but we will address this in a future patch of Instant Orchestra...
    ---wow---you guys must have Superman's ears. I loaded the patch again, cranked the ARIA fader to the top, turned my speakers all the way up--I can't hear a click!

oooh noooo, am I losing my hearing?!

Randy

Chad -- thanks! The sfz tweak does work around it. I'm not 100% sure it would be a problem for me, but I was playing with some isolated brass lines on headphones and it did stick out at the time.

The crackle I'm hearing in Earth Drums is a *lot* more subtle, and sounds more like waveform error crackle than an acoustic click sound. I hear it even when I turn the volume down, and I only hear it on that note, and it sounds very consistent. However this is very strange, because looking at the sfz, I notice that the same sample is used for that first octave! But I only hear it with that particular note? I'm very confused but it's not a big deal, as I can just avoid it.

Randy -- are you sure you're playing the right note? I'm not sure if "D2" is the correct term for it, that's just what my DAW (studioone) calls it. It's the 3rd D from the bottom of the playable area.

not hearing it here either on very precise studio headphones. downloaded the fix just in case..

Go Back to forum