• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should I get IO just for the "Earth Drums?"

Share/Bookmark

Should I get IO just for the "Earth Drums?"

I am working on a composition that needs the sound of "cinematic" percussion. I have GOP4 as of right now which is wonderful, but I feel as though I need something to augment the sounds such as the earth drums from IO. My only concern is that whatever I write it must be playable by live performers. For example, my best friend and trumpet player heard an "epic percussion" sample called "Godzilla Hits!" from one of my friend's computers. Dan said, "It sounds awesome, but if it's played by an orchestra what would you score it for? Godzilla?" Is it possible to find out what the "earth drums" are from Garritan and should I purchase IO just for them. Whatever I compose, I must be able to score it also. Thank you so very much, my friends.
    ~Rodney

Re: Should I get IO just for the "Earth Drums?"

Well, I am no expert, but I would assume that most of the cinematic percussion we hear in movies is at least partially processed...so its not entirely live anyway. You could still score for the "earth drums," but either you'd have to use the synth drums in the recording or you would just have to use whatever kind of drums the live performers have available.

In any case, I recently purchased IO and I love it, but, I'm a piano player and therefore not familiar with orchestration. It sounds like you are much more experienced in orchestration, so I'm not sure how much of a use you would get out of IO.

Quote Originally Posted by aflocka View Post
    ...You could still score for the "earth drums," but either you'd have to use the synth drums in the recording or you would just have to use whatever kind of drums the live performers have available...
    Excellent advice. The modern "cinematic drums" is indeed a highly processed sound which would be impossible for any percussionist, or section of percussionists to perform in a live situation. If you want that sound in your recording - go for it, and as aflocka says, in a live performance, what you've scored will just be played on whatever the given band/orchestera has - probably a bass drum.

If you get IO - you'd end up using a lot of it, maybe all of it. It's whole purpose is to beef recordings up, and it doesn't really matter if what you have in a demo recording can't be actually performed live. You'll be getting a lot more you can use than just those nice Earth Drums when you get IO.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Excellent advice. The modern "cinematic drums" is indeed a highly processed sound which would be impossible for any percussionist, or section of percussionists to perform in a live situation. If you want that sound in your recording - go for it, and as aflocka says, in a live performance, what you've scored will just be played on whatever the given band/orchestera has - probably a bass drum.

If you get IO - you'd end up using a lot of it, maybe all of it. It's whole purpose is to beef recordings up, and it doesn't really matter if what you have in a demo recording can't be actually performed live. You'll be getting a lot more you can use than just those nice Earth Drums when you get IO.

Randy
    Thanks guys! I just bought it right now and downloading it. Tell Gary you need your commission. Randy, I bought it because of your great advice.
    ~Rodney

IO has some killer drums stuff. I bought it mainly for those and for expanding the choral repertoire I have and some of the prepared piano stuff. A great thing.

I would also recommend Virtual Drum Line (VDL) by TapSpace - lots of effects and ethnic drums. Cymbal and gong scrapes, water gongs etc.

If you've got the bucks (and I don't) there is projectSAM's True Strike and True Strike 2 - massive and fun cinematic percussion sounds.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    IO has some killer drums stuff. I bought it mainly for those and for expanding the choral repertoire I have and some of the prepared piano stuff. A great thing.

I would also recommend Virtual Drum Line (VDL) by TapSpace - lots of effects and ethnic drums. Cymbal and gong scrapes, water gongs etc.

If you've got the bucks (and I don't) there is projectSAM's True Strike and True Strike 2 - massive and fun cinematic percussion sounds.
    Nice! I will check these out also. o you ever use the marching percussion samples for your non-marching compositions?
    ~Rodney

Here's a quote from a rather successful film composer and big drums:

"If you want things to sound big, make sure you limit your upper dynamic range. All instruments - especially percussion - sound bigger when played relatively softly. You can always turn it up. When you hit drums too hard, or any instrument is played too loud, they tend to sound only bright and thin and pingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Here's a quote from a rather successful film composer and big drums:

"If you want things to sound big, make sure you limit your upper dynamic range. All instruments - especially percussion - sound bigger when played relatively softly. You can always turn it up. When you hit drums too hard, or any instrument is played too loud, they tend to sound only bright and thin and pingy.
    Does this mean that when they record, they record at a smaller volume and then remix mix it? How could we apply this into the sample world? Thank you for the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Does this mean that when they record, they record at a smaller volume and then remix mix it? How could we apply this into the sample world? Thank you for the quote.
    I sent you a PM that's a more detailed explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Nice! I will check these out also. o you ever use the marching percussion samples for your non-marching compositions?
    ~Rodney
    Jeff is right about the dynamic range thing - those triangles and cymbals cut thru like a knife!

I use whatever samples fit the piece from whatever source I can get them! VDL isn't just marching percussion - there are many concert samples included. For me it was more affordable than the projectSAM percussion [although I do own projectSAM orchestral brass and Symphobia]. VDL had everything I need. IO really expands on that a bit so I picked it up as well.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum