• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hammond B3??

Share/Bookmark

Hammond B3??

Hi Folks!

Does anyone know if anyone/company is working on a realistic B3 giga disc?
    I had heard a rumor that Worra was working on it. Is it true? As always thanks in advance.

Matt D\'Ortona
    mdortona@stny.rr.com

Re: Hammond B3??

Straight from the horses mouth:

Yes, we are working on a Hammond Gigastudio CD, wich will be released very soon. It\'s not a B3, but a L100. All notes/drawbars have been sampled for about 18-20 seconds. Loops have been made after aprox. 15 secs. 2nd and 3rd percussion are sampled separatly.
    The whole thing is set up so that you can control the volume on each drawbar separatly via the Midi Control Surface.
    It will need Gigastudio, and it will be demanding on your system, as one note eats 11 sampes from your polyphony.
    We have therefore also included a lite version with only 3 note/octave sampled.

It will be priced at $79.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worra:
    ...and it will be demanding on your system, as one note eats 11 sampes from your polyphony.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...why 11 samples for one note?

Deep White

Since all drawbars have been sampled (9 of them) + 2 percussion voices and all can be controlled separatly, It will use 11 samples/key. But it sounds great...!

I feel for you Worra.

The Hammond gig is going to be bitched about by people no matter which way you go.

If you go down the track of sampling 30 good registrations, some people will say you left out their favourite patch.

If you sample without leslie, people want it.

If you sample with Leslie, people will complain that when you play a chord the individual notes sound out of sync (even if every single note on the keyboard is sampled)- because each note was recorded at a different part of the leslie cycle.

They\'ll also have a problem with the fact that the accelration and deceleration of the leslie is out of sync.

Basically, I don\'t see how you can really put a Leslied Hammond into the Giga and keep all comers happy.

At least with this approach, and some careful post sample session cleaning up, people will be able to achieve any hammond registration, and then put it through a leslie for a pretty accurate sound.

As far as the percussion tabs are concerned, don\'t you have to have some kind of mono percussion layer with first note priority?
    I remember hammond percussion only firing on the first notes of any chord I played, and not playing again until I lifted my hand off completely...

Looking forward to a demo

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 08-31-2000).]

Don\'t get me wrong Lee, so far nothing in this thread reads like bitching. I\'m just trying to highlight the difficulties faced by anyone like Worra, trying to put together the ultimate hammond.

For that matter, I had no idea about variation in eefect of velocity on the harmonics switching in.

Looks like job for physical modelling again....

BTW Anyone tried the Native instruments B4 VST plugin?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    So these are straight tones, not run through a Leslie, right?
    Lee Blaske
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that\'s right.

This seems like a very flexible approach. I wonder, though, doesn\'t this build up an awful lot of noise and hum? Since you\'re adding the noise of the amplification with each pass, if you have all the drawbars pulled out, aren\'t you getting 11 times the noise per note times the number of notes held down?

Lee Blaske
    [/QUOTE]

The samples have been very carefully \"washed\". They where very noisy from the start, but with a carefully tweeked noice reduction, we managed to get a very good result. None of the betatesters has complaint about noise.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:

BTW Anyone tried the Native instruments B4 VST plugin?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the risk of spreading sampler forum sacrilege, B4 is good. The scanner vibrato is the best I\'ve heard. Key click sounds real, too. High drawbars lack shimmer, but 888 with the scanner set to B3 will force you to play the blues. There still ain\'t nothin\' like the genuine article, but I was pleasantly surprised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:

BTW Anyone tried the Native instruments B4 VST plugin?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aahhh yes....B4 is the bomb. Best virtual instrument on the planet IMO

-david abraham

Go Back to forum