• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARIA volume Sliders not holding in Finale 2011

Share/Bookmark

ARIA volume Sliders not holding in Finale 2011

Does anyone have this problem or am I missing something:

The volume sliders in an ARIA engine always set themselves to -15 Db (some higher, some lower). When I move the sliders to where I want them and play the Finale file, I get the sound I am looking for. When I close the file and re-open it the sliders go back to -15 Db or so but always the same spot they were before I changed them.

I have looked at the mixer in Finale and the Instrument List as well. Those volume settings are link and if you change one, you change the other as well. Not so with the ARIA engine volume sliders, they do not move when I change the mixer or Instrument List volume settings.

My guess is that Human Playback is taking control but I don't know how to change that in the Human Playback settings.

Anyone experienced at this problem and have a solution to it?

I know I should ask this on the Finale forum but since Garritan and Finale are part of the same company now... I thought I could just ask it here.

Thanks for any ideas. I personally don't present any music rendered from Finale into a .wav file but I would like to know how to solve this problem that bothers me.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: ARIA volume Sliders not holding in Finale 2011

I had this issue, but I don't completely remember the steps taken, or the results of, trying to solve it.

I suggest you create a volume CC trigger (expression) and place it on the first bar of your score for each stave. Duplicate one of the predefined expressions, edit it, and name it volume (xxx), xxx being the number you want to set it to. In the playback tab of the expression set it to cc 7, and enter the figure you want.

See if that fixes it. I remember doing this ages ago, but I don't remember if that was the actual solution.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I have used your "Rivers" (don't remember the entire title) as a template for my newer pieces. Shouldn't your solution be present in that template? Also, you would think that MakeMusic would have handled the ARIA player better for control of sound to make more effective rendering.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Rich

The suggestion you made did not work. The sliders on ARIA do not rest to the setting that I put in the expression. I may have done something wrong but I don't thinks so.

Rich

Whoops, sorry it didn't work.

Did you try some extremes - set to zero and put it in the middle somewhere, see what happens when the track gets to that point - if nothing happens then there is a problem with the 'expression'. If the volume drops to zero, but suddenly comes back on, then HP is dictating volume.

When I put together my pieces in finale, I balanced levels as best I could, but used the volume expression only on certain tracks that I can recall. The issue for example with percussion sounding too low is a track where I used the vol expression to boost the track volume.

I would have expected the instrument manager volume setting to be the 'master' setting the determines playback, but as you've found, these adjustments do not tend to work out as we expect. Also, what seems like an obvious tweak or setting, ends up doing nothing to affect playback.

I don't know if I used the triggers on my allegro score off hand.

Just one of the many reasons I went into DAW land I'm afraid.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I too, am in DAW land, but I was trying to help my brother who is more interested in composition and not engineering. He would prefer Finale do the dynamics of balancing and mixing and not worry about it.

I will try your suggestion though. It would seem a simple solution to be able to set the ARIA sliders to a balance point you would like it to be. But then, I am not a programmer.

Rich

This just began happening to me in SONAR - so it's not a Finale only issue. BUT it only happens on my Clarinet slider (slot 8) not on any others. I have tried reloading. No go. Any ideas? Thanks.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

reberclark,

Usually in a DAW like Sonar this would happen if you have a CC#7 buried in the midi part somewhere. Did you try erasing all CC#7's from your clarinet track? I sometimes miss seeing those little blue lines and don't realize they are in the midi track.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying so fast! Yep I look at the event list to see what exactly was happening and didn't see a thing. Also in piano roll view - nothin'. Still looking.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: If I remove Clarinet (Bb Clarinet Solo from GPO4) and leave the MIDI on the track, substituting another instrument (like oboe) the resetting of the slider doesn't happen. It seems to happen only when Bb Solo Clarinet is loaded. If I load Bb Clarinet on another track and slot - say 7 - the reset does not happen. So it's not the Clarinet, it's ARIA as far as I can tell. Help!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying to fast! Yep I look at the event list to see what exactly was happening and didn't see a thing. Also in piano roll view - nothin'. Still looking.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: If I remove Clarinet (Bb Clarinet Solo from GPO4) and leave the MIDI on the track, substituting another instrument (like oboe) the resetting of the slider doesn't happen. It seems to happen only when Bb Solo Clarinet is loaded. If I load Bb Clarinet on another track and slot - say 7 - the reset does not happen. So it's not the Clarinet, it's ARIA as far as I can tell. Help!
    Patient: "Doctor, when I do this (moves arm behind back and moves his hand up as far as he can) it hurts!"

Doctor: "Then don't do that."

---

Have no idea what's going on there, Chip, but if the Clarinet's not behaving in that one slot, then don't put it there. Out of slots? Open up another instance of Aria - I know your computer can handle it!

Randy

Go Back to forum