• Register
  • Help

Topic: Final act of devotion

Share/Bookmark

Final act of devotion

((Another tribute to our fallen Countrymen & Women.)) ORIGINAL TITLE

EXORSIZING OUR INNER DEMONS new title with some changes in last segment.

A modern scenario for Wind Band.

http://soundclick.com/bands/page_mus...?bandID=578743

Re: Final act of devotion

Hey Gary! I like this. Frankly, though, it does not sound like a tribute piece to me. It has a very mysterious feel to it, which I like very much but it does not give me any sense of devotion to fallen Americans.
    I think the render on this is great. What was the instrumentation on this?
    Thanks for the post. Jay

I'll admit, I'm grateful Jay broke the ice on this - I found the music interesting, Gary, but it didn't feel like a tribute to me either. Not that something honoring the armed forces has to sound in a particular way, but I just didn't get an idea of how you felt about your subject, what you're dedicating the music to.

What I liked best about the piece is some sections that sounded almost purely improvisational, spontaneous and unedited. Those sections felt like mental musing - Maybe those are the main parts you intend as a dedication.

In any case, I'm always interested in hearing your compositions, Gary - Thanks for this.

Randy

Thanks for listening guys.
    One of the 1st things I discovered when I began posting is that a title either draws or discourages listening.
    My original intent was drawn to the title, but the music led down another path.
    I think I should rename it with the eventual outcome.
    This is a song of introspection about loss. The highs & lows the mind leads our thoughts & feelings to focus upon.
    I invite all interested listeners to listen and suggests a title.
    I wrote this song in 10 hours this past Sunday(Mar4.)
    Instrumentation is for a full Wind Ensemble.
    It is written with many thin sections on purpose which characterize the mind cying out with a new declaration.
    I plan to drop the 6/8 ending and extend a coda ending from within.

Gary
    Thanks

Hi Gary, I agree with the above - it rather made me picture the aftermath of a battle perhaps, at least at the start.

But it is a great mood piece. Wonderful incidental touches, as Randy said, almost improvisational with an unpredictable air - though something equally unpredictable is occurring on screen.

The rendering and orchestration is great - nice and full. It's your music, but I'd keep the wonderful 6/8 change towards the end, and perhaps only slow to the ending bar (as it seemed almost 'cut off')
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks for listening, Plowking.
    My concern about the 6/8 is that it's out of character with the rest. One solution
    might be to bring it to a crawl using expanded note values plus a short recapitulation before ending.

As is usually the case in my music, the final stages take much longer than the initial stage.

Gary

Go Back to forum