• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Edvard Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite #1, op.46

Share/Bookmark

Edvard Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite #1, op.46

Dear friends,

in the past months I have been busy working on new renditions and brushing up some of my previous ones. Having recorded "In the Hall of the Mountain King" back in 2000, I decided to "convert" this MIDI to Garritan Personal Orchestra. and while at it, I also recorded the other three movements of this suite. Actually, "Ase's Death" and "MorningMood" I did record about a year ago, but they needed some finer polish. And the final missing piece, "Anitra's Dance", was recorded a few days ago.

This gives you also an opportunity to try out my revamped website, which also has commercial links (iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.).
    It features HTML5 audio streaming, but that does not appear to work very well - only parts of the music are streamed, then the streaming stops - so better use the "download" button and play offline.

Here is the first movement, "Morning Mood":
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk...orningMood.php

Links to the other movements are at the top of the page.

I hope you enjoy these "renditions"!

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Re: Edvard Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite #1, op.46

No success, only the first part plays. Download works but cannot be played with Windows Media Player. And have a second look at your website text. It says that you did what on July 2012.... don't know about your days of the year, but here we aren't that far in time yet..... haha
    (Ases' death)

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Dear friends,

in the past months I have been busy working on new renditions and brushing up some of my previous ones. Having recorded "In the Hall of the Mountain King" back in 2000, I decided to "convert" this MIDI to Garritan Personal Orchestra. and while at it, I also recorded the other three movements of this suite. Actually, "Ase's Death" and "MorningMood" I did record about a year ago, but they needed some finer polish. And the final missing piece, "Anitra's Dance", was recorded a few days ago.

This gives you also an opportunity to try out my revamped website, which also has commercial links (iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.).
    It features HTML5 audio streaming, but that does not appear to work very well - only parts of the music are streamed, then the streaming stops - so better use the "download" button and play offline.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Reinhold!! All four are fabulous!!

You have done a masterful job with these recreations: instrument tone and separation, articulation, pace and superior handling of the dynamics! I too have worked on all 4 of these, but with nowhere near the success you have achieved, my hat's off to you my friend - Hearty Congratulations!!!!
    As the "virtual conductor of the virtual orchestra", you have ferreted out detail after detail, to make the pieces breathe and come alive, well done!
    Thank you so very much for sharing these!

sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    No success, only the first part plays. Download works but cannot be played with Windows Media Player. And have a second look at your website text. It says that you did what on July 2012.... don't know about your days of the year, but here we aren't that far in time yet..... haha
    (Ases' death)

Raymond
    Thanks for checking and telling me about the problems!

I fixed the "back to the future" mistake in the text

No idea what the problem is regarding the other issues. The very first time I did setup my page with HTML5 a few weeks ago, everything seemed fine, and each audio file was properly pre-loaded. But now they are only pre-loaded partially... Could have to do with a server issue, which may throttle the bandwidth. I may look to host these files somewhere else.

Why they do not play in the Windows Media Player is strange... these are just regular MP3 files, with variable bitrate (that can lead sometimes to incorrect time displays). But they all run ok on my Windows Media player when played locally...

It might be that they were not downloaded fully... I tried, and the files did download ok, but I suspect it might be a server issue.

Which browser did you use? I only tested extensively in Google Chrome, but I did some testing of the HTML5 in Safari, Firefox, and MS IE9.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post

Reinhold!! All four are fabulous!!

You have done a masterful job with these recreations: instrument tone and separation, articulation, pace and superior handling of the dynamics! I too have worked on all 4 of these, but with nowhere near the success you have achieved, my hat's off to you my friend - Hearty Congratulations!!!!
    As the "virtual conductor of the virtual orchestra", you have ferreted out detail after detail, to make the pieces breathe and come alive, well done!
    Thank you so very much for sharing these!

sd cisco

Dear sd cisco,

thank you very much for your kind words!
    I am glad that you like the result of my efforts.

I did a lot of live mod-wheel input of the expression, for each track. For strings I did some layering with either lush strings or with short bows AG for strong accents. Also, I edited all of the velocity values to achieve the proper instrument attack (smooth or accented, as needed).

I now have a method for determining how the balance between the instruments should be, based on total number of instruments in the setup and their maximum loudness. This lead to some calibrated setups which I am nowadays using. Is a lot of work initially, but now starts paying off, as these save me a lot of time.

My next projects: some more music by Ravel, also Debussy (this year 150th birthday), and - of course - some more Mahler.

Dear friends,

Cheers,
    Reinhold
    AAAaaaah, thank you so much, Reinhold - "Morning" was the perfect thing to hear this morning. The whole Peer Gynt Suite has a very special place in my memory, being some of the first music I can remember ever hearing. My mother loved it, and would play records of it for me before I'd even started school.

And your rendition is scrumptious. I was listening by myself, but then put it on the speakers so my wife could enjoy it too. Like me, she was swooning to the beauty of it.

I suppose because of my computer's horse power, I didn't have any trouble streaming any of the Grieg pieces from your site. They streamed smoothly all the way through. I think a lot of these current sites offering streaming services assume the prerequisite of visitors having new computers, which doesn't work in practice since many people will naturally have computers that can't keep up with the demands. But, wanted you to know that everything on your page worked fine for me.

I listened to "Anitra's Dance" next. It'd been even longer since I'd heard a recording of that. It also sounds very nice. One slight weakness is something pretty much out of your control - When you switch to the short bows, which you really need to do, the shortcomings of those samples are exposed. They just sound more synthetic than the other string samples in GPO. They're not terrible, just not as successful.

Please allow me a suggestion. I feel you could use a stronger image for "Anitra's Dance." Arthur Rackham did a famous series of illustrations for Peer Gynt, and you probably have seen them. Maybe you feel they're just too familiar. But here's a small copy of Anitra:

If you're interested, that came up immediately with a Google image search. On the same first page of results was a much larger, better resolution copy. -- It's an idea that came up, because I found the image you're using to be off-key. It looks modern, and I recognize that "plastic wrap" PhotoShop filter (whatever it's actually called) that's on it--I'm sorry, I didn't understand the image on your page.

But, wrapping this up with a big Thank You for these beautiful renderings!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

I listened to "Anitra's Dance" next. It'd been even longer since I'd heard a recording of that. It also sounds very nice. One slight weakness is something pretty much out of your control - When you switch to the short bows, which you really need to do, the shortcomings of those samples are exposed. They just sound more synthetic than the other string samples in GPO. They're not terrible, just not as successful.

Please allow me a suggestion. I feel you could use a stronger image for "Anitra's Dance." Arthur Rackham did a famous series of illustrations for Peer Gynt, and you probably have seen them. Maybe you feel they're just too familiar. But here's a small copy of Anitra
    Randy

Thank you very much, Randy, for your suggestions!

I will have a deeper look at the short bows. Especially the cello short bow is extremely bad... might have been something in equaliser settings when the samples were prepared.

Also thanks for the image suggestion!
    Yes, I did a Google search, but I was not sure about the copyright... so I only used either completely free images, or pictures which I did myself. So the "Anitra" is from a pic I took in Indoa... I wanted to get an "exotic" look, hence the "plastic wrap" which you rightfully recognised

Well, shows that I should better stick to creating acoustic renditions than with visual ones!

Great that the audio worked ok for you!

Here is an alternative for those whose audio has issues:
    http://www.indabamusic.com/people/151106145

Thank you very much, Randy, for your suggestions!

I will have a deeper look at the short bows. Especially the cello short bow is extremely bad... might have been something in equaliser settings when the samples were prepared.

Also thanks for the image suggestion!
    Yes, I did a Google search, but I was not sure about the copyright... so I only used either completely free images, or pictures which I did myself. So the "Anitra" is from a pic I took in Indoa... I wanted to get an "exotic" look, hence the "plastic wrap" which you rightfully recognised

Well, shows that I should better stick to creating acoustic renditions than with visual ones!

Great that the audio worked ok for you!

Here is an alternative for those whose audio has issues:
    http://www.indabamusic.com/people/151106145
    Well, Reinhold, I'm glad my comments weren't offensive. The short bows are just always a bit problematic. They sound to me like they may have been completely synthesized, not based on samples - but I don't know that for sure. I don't think there's much you can do really, except use the short/long basic samples which will play short bows, but not with a lot of bite.

I just now looked - I was surprised that Rackham's pictures are from 1936. That's much later than I would have thought. Yes, there's probably still a copyright on them. I feel that it isn't an issue to use his illo for Anitra, but I understand if you're uncomfortable about it.

Here's Little Egypt - similar to Rackham's, and it's definitely public domain, but it does look--well, Egyptian!

Don't mind me - it was just something that I stuck on when I looked at your webpage. One other idea would be to use the photo of yours, but with one of the brush effects in PhotoShop, making it more blurry, illustrative. A treatment like that on this Little Egypt picture could maybe work also.

Love your recordings - that's the most important thing.

Randy

Grieg wrote such great music and you have rendered his work with an excellent touch. It sounds so full bodied and realistic to me. I listened to the other Grieg pieces on the page and they were also marvelous.
    Thanks a lot for posting this. The music and the render were much enjoyed.
    Jay

Thanks for checking and telling me about the problems!

I fixed the "back to the future" mistake in the text

No idea what the problem is regarding the other issues. The very first time I did setup my page with HTML5 a few weeks ago, everything seemed fine, and each audio file was properly pre-loaded. But now they are only pre-loaded partially... Could have to do with a server issue, which may throttle the bandwidth. I may look to host these files somewhere else.

Why they do not play in the Windows Media Player is strange... these are just regular MP3 files, with variable bitrate (that can lead sometimes to incorrect time displays). But they all run ok on my Windows Media player when played locally...

It might be that they were not downloaded fully... I tried, and the files did download ok, but I suspect it might be a server issue.

Which browser did you use? I only tested extensively in Google Chrome, but I did some testing of the HTML5 in Safari, Firefox, and MS IE9.
    Browser: Firefox
    System: Windows 7 /X64
    Media Player: Windows Media player - the latest version
    Downloads: successful
    Play with Media Player: WMP says that it cannot play these files, some error occurred

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast