• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: last chance for suggestions

Share/Bookmark

Re: last chance for suggestions

I haven\'t tried the original Ultimate Orch Percussion Set yet, but I\'d really like samples that sound like the timpani in the Startrek Voyager intro by Goldsmith. If you\'d like a mp3 sample of them, I\'d be glad to mail them to you.

-Marc

Donnie, seems like you have got most stuff covered on the timps. I\'m no timpani expert so I can\'t suggest a lot. I have one suggestion though. I don\'t know if this sound I hear on a track on John Williams\' E.T. score is timpani or timpani+bassdrums, but it does sound very powerful. Huuuuuuge single hits. I suspect maybe it\'s done with wooden mallets on two identically tuned timps at the same time. It sounds huge and awesome.

Ditto Simon!

If there\'s any way to get that deep percussive boom Simon\'s talking about with Tymps, that\'d be fab.

Please record more soft velocities. If you record in the same hall as last time, I think you should place the mics ever so slightly closer. Or maybe use 2 sets of mics. One a little closer and one farther back or way up above the player.

Heys guys that sound that you are thinking of is created this way...
    Timpani in octaves plus bass drum...Give me your email and I will send you a small example of this...

Donnie

Donnie,

Would love to hear it: enyak@planetcrap.com

-marc

I\'ve allways wanted to have samples of an anvil when it\'s dropped on a couple of Hinger\'s from a couple of feets above the timps.
    can you get that for me?
    hopefully in several different velocities (and not too close miked to get that squeeky ambience-effect).
    *hoping*

Donnie, definitely I want to hear it!
    melo@marble-eyes.dk

Thanks

Thanks for sending me that, Donnie. Simon, this is exactly the technique that Mr. Williams used for E.T. (assuming you\'re talking about track 13). Add a little verb to Donnie\'s example and there ya have it! I\'m going to use that technique in the next piece I write

Donnie:
    Crescendo rolls and decrescendo rolls + L&R hand hits. That\'s all that I can think of that are missing. Some effect hits might be nice, like the cartoon bounce thing
    -IO

oh...one more thing....is this gear the same stuff that you used for the first tymp set? In other words, are we going to be able to mix and match with the previous tympani set or will we need to use all of the new stuff for consistancy?

[This message has been edited by IOComposer (edited 11-16-2000).]

Go Back to forum