• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Queens Guard (french horn duet)

Share/Bookmark

Re: The Queens Guard (french horn duet)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    This piece relies on traditional counterpoint techniques. It uses GPO french horns.
    Give it a listen and tell me what you think.
    Jay.
    www.jesse.us.com/queens.mp3
    Very good, Mister Jay. That's some nice horn writin'.

There are several 'pops' in the file especially when you change volume.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Let's hear some more.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello Jay, the french horn is pretty much awesome. This sort of lightly pompous style is something that I have always enjoyed about the french horn, and feel it captures that mood better than any other instrument. (Though, I'm sure some euphonium fans...and perhaps some hard-core tuba fans may disagree with me there )

You do a wonderful job bringing that style out in this short duet, thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hey Larry! Thanks for taking time to listen. I really like GPO french horns. With a little EQ and reverb they can sound pretty darn good.
    As far as that popping noise goes, I tried to duplicate it on my speakers and did not hear it. Your speakers are probably much more sensitive than mine. (My speakers have a picture of MICKEY MOUSE on them.) That should tell you the quality of my equipment.
    Thanks for the comment. Jay

Sanyarem. I was trying to make this piece little playful. I tried different instrumentation (trombone, trumpet, euphonium etc.) but the french horn seemed to fit the spirit of the duet, best.
    I appreciate your encouraging words. Thanks for listening.
    Jay

Last wednesday I happened to attend a "listening course" of brass instruments as the horns. A hornist from our Residentie Orchestra gave a good demonstration of the horn in general. This nice piece fits perfectly into this "experience". Apart from the pops, it is well done. I agree with you that this instrument is just great. And you proved it. Thank you for posting.

Raymond

Thanks for listening Raymond! You could really help me out on the POPS. I just can't hear them on my speakers but I want to find out what the heck is causing this. If the popping sound is happening in a particular place (time wise) I would appreciate it if you could tell me where. I must admit that this makes me nervous as to the cause. Anyway thanks a lot the comment. Jay

Jay, I really like this piece. And I'm so glad you used the regular GPO horns for this, not the SAM horns which have their place, but would be way over-the-top for a playful piece like this.

I rolled up my sleeves and did some investigating into the MP3 file. In Sound Forge I pinpointed the two clicks. They're at the same section of music at:

0:08:010
    and
    1:25:310

Here's a screen shot of one of those clicks. You can see how the wave form has an unnatural jag in it, causing the click:

What's happening at both places is a sudden and unnatural drop in volume. You can see that in this zoomed out shot:

This is probably caused by a very sudden dynamic change in your Finale file.

I also noticed that the recording is at a very low level. I brought the volume up more in the range of normal - BUT I did it very quickly, and can hear now that there are some resonances that would need to be smoothed out for a more polished recording. I also tried to smooth out the clicks and the sudden volume drops, but that's also something else that would be better fixed in the original file.

A final note - there's a gap of silence at the beginning of the file. This happens often in Finale exports - silence at the beginning or ending of recordings, or in both places. That was brought up yesterday in General Discussion on the Make Music Contest thread.

Here's that re-do MP3:

http://www.box.com/s/edvgf7zqa03zk8v72olz

Nice music - Hopefully some of my detective work here is helpful.

Randy

Hey Randy! Thanks a bunch for your input. I replaced my version of the piece with the one that you edited. It really does sound better. I have rebuilt my computer several times over the past few week and it seems like no matter how much backing up that I do, I still end up losing audio tracks(particularly for this piece). I still have the notation so at some point I can remaster the song. Raymond62 had sent me the time spots where the clicking occurred. With what you, and he found, I was able to determine that I had applied a fairly dramatic dynamic change down. But like an idiot, I made the change in the middle of a held articulation which caused a blip in the sound,(which unfortunately I was unable to hear.)

As far as the volume goes I sure that I just uploaded the wrong file, because I remember boosting the volume on this in SOUND FORGE. (are you getting the idea the I have 2 left feet in my brain?)

Could you elaborate on the resonances that you are talking about and what I can to polish it up.

I think FINALE is a great product but I have a tendency to use things that I am used to when I can.(I use ENCORE for the initial notation and SIBELIUS for final notation and CUBASE for the mastering).

The silence in the beginning is intentional. I add a measure of silence to have a gap between songs when they go on a CD.

Your detective work and your input is priceless to me. I really appreciate the effort. I can't fix things if I don't know whats wrong.
    Thanks again Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Randy! Thanks a bunch for your input. I replaced my version of the piece with the one that you edited. It really does sound better. I have rebuilt my computer several times over the past few week and it seems like no matter how much backing up that I do, I still end up losing audio tracks(particularly for this piece). I still have the notation so at some point I can remaster the song. Raymond62 had sent me the time spots where the clicking occurred. With what you, and he found, I was able to determine that I had applied a fairly dramatic dynamic change down. But like an idiot, I made the change in the middle of a held articulation which caused a blip in the sound,(which unfortunately I was unable to hear.)

As far as the volume goes I sure that I just uploaded the wrong file, because I remember boosting the volume on this in SOUND FORGE. (are you getting the idea the I have 2 left feet in my brain?)

Could you elaborate on the resonances that you are talking about and what I can to polish it up.

I think FINALE is a great product but I have a tendency to use things that I am used to when I can.(I use ENCORE for the initial notation and SIBELIUS for final notation and CUBASE for the mastering).

The silence in the beginning is intentional. I add a measure of silence to have a gap between songs when they go on a CD.

Your detective work and your input is priceless to me. I really appreciate the effort. I can't fix things if I don't know whats wrong.
    Thanks again Jay.
    Well, I'm glad I was helpful, and not meddlesome.

It'll be good, though, for you to make a new rendering on your own - mine was just an experiment, and isn't totally satisfactory. The "resonances" I'm referring to cropped up after I normalized the MP3 in Sound Forge. The loudest notes now have an unpleasant emphasis somewhere in the mid range. - But editing shouldn't be done on an MP3, only on master .wav files. If you work with a new .wav, that boosted frequency thing may not occur.

Audio files disappearing?--What's going on? I've never lost a file. Do you put your masters in their own folder, tucked away somewhere logical?--and then back up the folders on an external drive or something?

That's exactly what happened with the clicks - the volume suddenly drops, as seen in my screen shot, during some held notes. If the volume change wasn't a severe jump, it'd be fine of course.

As for the low level of the MP3 - I guess you posted the wrong version, if you'd boosted the volume in Forge. I didn't do a screen shot, but your level was waaaaay down there, using not even 1/4 of the available head room.

ANOTHER FREE TIP:-- I understand the need for a silent gap between cuts of a CD. But putting silence at the beginning of a file isn't the way to do it. A lot of CD burning programs give you the option of adding silence as you put the CD together. 3 seconds is often the default. OR, even a free sound editor like Audacity can do a slick job of adding the gaps you need when you drag all the songs of a CD into the program for assembly.

The simplest thing to do, though, is to add the silence at the End of the previous track. If your recording doesn't have enough silence, that's a one click, simple operation in Forge, to add silence. That way, when tracks are played out of order, the listener doesn't get silence when clicking on a track - they get music. See?

Anyway - Do indeed make a new recording of this when you can. It'll be better than what I whipped together this morning.

Randy

Thanks for responding Randy! I really do need to get my material organized. That is going to be my quest. I do plan to remaster this piece applying your great advice.

Always a pleasure to converse with you. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast