• Register
  • Help

Topic: ensemble building and instrument articulations

Share/Bookmark

ensemble building and instrument articulations

I've just recently purchased GPO4 and am learning about ensemble building.
    One question I have is how do I add keyswitched articulations to my ensemble?
    The manual says not to use the plr instruments and the solo instruments together,
    but suppose I want a pizzicato line in the violins? How do I go about creating
    an ensemble with articulations?

Thanks for any help...

Re: ensemble building and instrument articulations

Hi, there was a long discussion on ensemble building recently, so it's all here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...emble-Building

For me personally, the conclusion is that it is not worth the time and effort, and the results are not acceptable.

However - if you wanted to use no KS patches, but needed to change articulations, then you need to have separate patches on other channels to cover the articulations. For example, pizz on channel 1, sustain (arco) on channel 2.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks PlowKing!
    Just curious, in what ways did you find the results not worth it?

The resulting sound was plagued with phasing issues because you have the same sample playing over itself in layers.

All major libraries focus on ensemble patches as it gives a true homogeneous sound - violins recorded together as an ensemble for example. Some library ensembles are still various players recorded at different times and engineered into a ensemble - but works because it is still different sounds layered up, and not the same sample playing over itself.

I'm not saying its impossible - but its a lot of effort for very little payback unless there's a magic combination of sample library solos patches that work together.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum