• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sketch Music for solo piano (GAS)

Share/Bookmark

Sketch Music for solo piano (GAS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTFz-6G-SY

This is a collection of 21 short works for piano, in a rather contemproary fashion (but not too hard or too weird). The score is accompanied by 21 B&W illustrations (one for each work) by an amazing artist Piero Pierini!

And the recording in the video is me playing the Garritan Steinway Pro!

Re: Sketch Music for solo piano (GAS)

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTFz-6G-SY

This is a collection of 21 short works for piano, in a rather contemproary fashion (but not too hard or too weird). The score is accompanied by 21 B&W illustrations (one for each work) by an amazing artist Piero Pierini!

And the recording in the video is me playing the Garritan Steinway Pro!
    Music from Nikolas- It's been a very long time.

You had me a bit scared at first, with your post saying there are 21 pieces. I thought I was going to have to clear my calendar to have a listen. Now I see - this is 3 of the pieces, a taste of what the whole collection is like.

Very nice, improvisational sketches, like from sitting down at the piano at the end of a long day and letting the day's stimuli be the guide for some interesting musical shapes to emerge.

Very nice artwork too!

Slick video production too, I should add.

Super, Nikolas - thanks!

Randy

True, Randy

I should've mentioned it's just the 3 of the 21... There's another one somewhere on the net, but not on youtube!

They have an improvisational nature, but this was my way of keeping the works simple and easy technically and musically. They are aimed at non professional pianists and I do think that there is a gap in the 'market' (or the repertoire) for such works...

Thanks for watching and listening.

And thanks for the comments on the video. I find that they serve their purpose and are clean, which is what is needed with such music. I sure wish I could create 3d wonders but I'm clueless right now when it comes to video production so I have to settle for what you saw.

Again thanks.

Hi Nikolas;
    Very entertaining!! I rather favour the "Ditsotred romance", but then I liked the 3rd one too, and at the end of it, I decided that I liked all three!!! Curious artwork and titles were good too! You can go a long way using just a video editor with modest capability. I like making videos but I wish you would still see the big you tube thumbnail of the video on the Forum posting, not just the link. I like them because they add colour.

Thanks for posting!

sd cisco

Cisco,

Thank you for your kind words. I'll admit that it's quite difficult for me to chose my favorite, but VIII has always been one of the top ones, even when I was composing them!

Yes, I wish the forum would show the thumbnail, but alas this is not doable right now. In which case I prepared a sort of a title, using one other illustration (from IX I think)...

I hope that this will give the right impression on what's going on in the score (which, if I may say so is quite impressive).

And, btw, GAS stood up to the test! It sounds brilliant, don't you think?

I find the music and the art quite interesting. Please post more of these when you can.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Cisco,

Thank you for your kind words. I'll admit that it's quite difficult for me to chose my favorite, but VIII has always been one of the top ones, even when I was composing them!

Yes, I wish the forum would show the thumbnail, but alas this is not doable right now. In which case I prepared a sort of a title, using one other illustration (from IX I think)...

I hope that this will give the right impression on what's going on in the score (which, if I may say so is quite impressive).

And, btw, GAS stood up to the test! It sounds brilliant, don't you think?
    ...the artwork is a bit Arthur Beardsley,

as the music is a bit, (just a bit) Eric Satie.
    GAS is well known for its great sound, singularly impressive in your hands.

sd cisco

Heh...

I know Satie and I'm sure that Piero knew Arthur...

Still not all the works are Satie like. There are other works which go closer to Stravinsky I think. And Prokofiev of course

Some very interesting pieces. I much enjoyed the second piece. I am surprised in myself because I also liked the first one. This is not a flavor of music that I normally like or listen to but somehow, someway it pleased me, and I think that is the way music is supposed to work. I hope you view this as a compliment on your music. I honestly have to say that the 3rd piece did not happen for me (not to say it is not a good work.) Anyway I really enjoyed your post. For me it is always nice hear things that are sometimes out of my comfort zone.
    Thanks for the post. Jay

Hello Nikolas, glad to see you back! You have some great sketches here. These three sketches have a wide range of moods in them; it is a very nice variety! The quality of the recordings is very nice as well. I must ask, though, how do you pronounce the name of sketch VIII?

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast