• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does anyone here own "The Ultimate String Collection"?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone here own \"The Ultimate String Collection\"?

I was listening to the demo of this CD and thought it sounded pretty good. I mainly need it for slow string passages for soundtrack stuff. Does it have good realistic samples of slow strings or is it all fast string type stuff?
    Does Advanced Orchestra have better slow strings?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: Does anyone here own \"The Ultimate String Collection\"?

Ultimate and AO are all I have for strings. My personal conclusion: AO is better (much better) overall, but it has a certain harshness. Mixing it with Ultimate can produce decent results. I could use AO by itself, I think, in a lot of cases, but I don\'t think I could use Ultimate by itself. Too many bad samples: poor loops, inconsistency within a single instrument, etc. I\'ve had to tweak Ultimate very heavily. Still, Ultimate has some very nice warm, expressive sounds (especially violas).

Just my personal opinion, of course - YMMV.

I just finished scoring the trailer for a ridiculous movie called Monkeybone. Anyway, I had to deliver the music on da88. Tracks 1,2 percussion tracks 3,4 brass tracks 5,6 strings tracks 7,8 choir, woodwinds, harp. The tune came out great and benefitted from all the latest greatest libraries and Sony reverb, but when I listened to each of the stereo mixes soloed, I was really impressed with all of them except the strings. The flow factor was not there and yet the whole mix sounded very good. I think all of the string libraries out there are flawed and incomplete and mixing and matching will only work well some of the time. I have been doing it for years and I am sick and tired of messing around with eq and volume curves. Someone needs to create a better string library. I hope the new Garrigan library will be it, if not its into the studio I go!

Nick, can we hold you to that threat?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>I think all of the string libraries out there are flawed and incomplete and mixing and matching will only work well some of the time. I have been doing it for years and I am sick and tired of messing around with eq and volume curves.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Nick,

Completely agree though I think there are also improvments that could be made to existing Brass libraries The current batch of available string libraries (with the exception of one or two) have the legato and long sustatined parts hands down perfect, the trouble startss with the shorter (and difficult to sample) marcatos, staccatos, and short agressive arco\'s, etc... I have yet to come across a really descent set of convincing marcato on any of the sections (vs,vln,cl,db). Miroslav did a beautiful job sampling the longer sustains but the shorter samples are almost a joke! It doesn\'t even sound like he sampled the same group of players. On the other hand his semi-longer detaches (w/ vibrato) are fantastic. I\'m looking forward to the new string library by Gary, hopefully it will comeout early next year.

F. Juma.

I totally agree that there needs to be more improved brass. I am working on it. QL Brass would have had to be 10 cds to cover both orchestral and pop adequetely. I have benefitted from this time, however, to really zero in on what is missing, what needs to sound better and what doesn,t work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    I totally agree that there needs to be more improved brass. I am working on it. QL Brass would have had to be 10 cds to cover both orchestral and pop adequetely. I have benefitted from this time, however, to really zero in on what is missing, what needs to sound better and what doesn,t work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, QLB is sure a huge leap in the right direction as far as great brass samples go. Can\'t wait to see what you guys are able to pull off with your future brass sets. A Quantum Leap Strings library would be wonderful too

Ryan.

------------------

Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com

Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

[This message has been edited by Synth2k (edited 01-02-2001).]

Hey Nick, have you ever thought about releasing articulation files as a supplement on a website to QLB owners? I know a few of the people have little legato issues with the trumpet an I\'m sure that attack start or envelope variations might help with those familiar with AO. I haven\'t fooled with editing them yet (but used expression edits), but I think that you might be able to offer some things to us that own the library.

Actually to all the library developers here, if you can offer articulation files to help with things we might want to emulate,...or might not know about, feel free to discuss what we might do with your samples. It might inspire us that are fairly ignorant about a particular instrument to write correctly for it. This also goes for Midi examples (expression, tremolo, trills, fills,..etc)

we may want realistic sounds and not realize we have all we need :P Help us DAMMIT!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 01-03-2001).]

I considered using the mod wheel to adjust attack times, but decided against it because I was already using the mod wheel and I FOOLISHLY thought that the samples didnt need any artificial articulation. QL Brass 2 will cover more articulations of a few key instruments and sections. As far as providing articulation midi files, I will leave that to someone who is truly qualified. I would be too afraid of all of the scrutiny.

Ah... articulation files and MIDI files are two different things. If you\'re producing a library in the first place, you\'re qualified to release articulation updates.

Go Back to forum