• Register
  • Help

Topic: Difference Between Regular GPO instruments and those listed under Notation?

Share/Bookmark

Difference Between Regular GPO instruments and those listed under Notation?

I don't notice any difference. What is it?

Thanks.

Re: Difference Between Regular GPO instruments and those listed under Notation?

Hi, the difference is where the keyswitches are placed so that notation programs like finale can know that they are consistently placed and be programmed to read them. I don't think there's any other difference.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Plowking is absolutely correct. The samples and sounds are all the same. It is just the key switches and pointers that are needed by Finale are placed in a uniform spot for Finale to take advantage of them.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I've always wondered how Finale knows when to crescendo something if the mod wheel is what's being used for dynamics.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves View Post
    I've always wondered how Finale knows when to crescendo something if the mod wheel is what's being used for dynamics.
    Hairpin Crescendo=CC1 data. -- Right, Finale folk?

Randy

Correct.

Finale can manipulate a number of CC (including C64 which is the sustain pedal, for example)... If you grab a midi file from Finale and put it in a sequencer (Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc), you'll see that all sorts of CCs are tempered with.

Regarding the keyswitch locations being different in the notation instruments, is that documented somewhere, what the keyswitch locations are for each instrument, both regular and notation?

Are the notation instruments only for Finale, or also for Sibelius and other notation programs?

I thought previously that the notation instruments might not use the mod wheel for volume, for if one has a pre-existing notation file (or MIDI file for that matter), one may not have played it live using the mod wheel for volume. (I guess that is taken into account now in IO, with its GM or GPO mode. Not, however, in GPO. With GPO if one wants to play back a file not created with the mod wheel controlling volume, one has to manually insert mod wheel events, or use a MIDI plugin like that from TenCrazy which translates velocity into mod wheel events. I could imagine, however, someone who didn't know about that, trying to play back a MIDI or notation file in GPO, and wonder why the volume is so low?

Go Back to forum