• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New String Orchestra composition uploaded

Share/Bookmark

New String Orchestra composition uploaded

Well, it’s not exactly a \"new\" composition, since I wrote it when I was 18 years old – which is longer ago than I care to think about.... But it’s new to almost everybody in the world but me!

It uses only AO and Ultimate Strings. It’s my first attempt at Giga-izing anything substantial. In retrospect, I probably should have done something easier first, since this piece is a real challenge for sampled instruments. The texture is -very- thick, and the playing style has to transition smoothly from slow, legato playing to detache and back again.

I’m still tweaking EQ and reverb, but it seems ok on my system and on the home stereo. I’d really like to know what you GigaExperts think – but please, go easy on me, it’s only my first try!!

You can download it from http://www.angelfire.com/music2/ursatz/ . Warning - it’s 7 mb. Sorry about the length, but I wanted to encode it at 160. It loses a lot at 128.

All comments appreciated, either here, or to wkcl@pacbell.net.

Re: New String Orchestra composition uploaded

I\'d like to listen, but it won\'t let me download - thinks it\'s a .htm doc, not a .mp3.

Lawrence

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lougheed:
    I\'d like to listen, but it won\'t let me download - thinks it\'s a .htm doc, not a .mp3.

Lawrence
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like if you go straight to http://www.angelfire.com/music2/ursatz/Endogeny.mp3 , you\'ll get a page which lets you download it.

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 12-30-2000).]

I also tried just clicking on it (I have DSL, so should be able to stream .mp3\'s, if the source is reasonable). This brings up the Windows Media Player, but then I get the \"Cannot open\" message.

Something is not configured correctly, methinks.

Lawrence

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lougheed:
    I also tried just clicking on it (I have DSL, so should be able to stream .mp3\'s, if the source is reasonable). This brings up the Windows Media Player, but then I get the \"Cannot open\" message.

Something is not configured correctly, methinks.

Lawrence
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I think I know how to fix that. In Explorer, go to View | Folder Options | File Types, then find the listing for the program that opens MP3 files (Windows Media Player, in your case). Click Edit, then check the box for \"Confirm open after download.\" When I made this change, it solved the problem.

If that doesn\'t work (or if you\'d rather not make that change), I\'ve also put a zipped version up there, which you should be able to click on to download.

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 12-30-2000).]

After listening to it again, I\'ve decided it needs some more work before I inflict it on your expert ears - there was too much verb, and the verb I was using had a nasty ring which I tried to compensate for with EQ. Results not so good. I\'ll let you know when it\'s back up.

OK, here\'s a better version. Much lighter on reverb and EQ. It\'s obvious I\'m going to have to get a decent verb; all the ones I have make it sound more or less like I\'m listening to it through a narrow tube. For now, this seems to be the best I can do, verb-wise - I\'d be grateful for any advice or comments on what would be a good verb (software or hardware) for this kind of music.

I also moved it to a place that I hope will be easier to download from - directly at http://www.listeningroom.lycos.com/tools/Download.phtml?ID=20851 , or you can go to the main page at http://www.listeningroom.lycos.com/fan/bands/ursatz/Band.html and (supposedly) either download or stream it.

Sounds very nice I am a big believer in Kind of Loud\'s Real Verb. To me it is the best software reverb availible.

Donnie

Donnie,

Thanks - Real Verb is available for Mac only, no? I don\'t think I\'m quite ready to make that leap just now...

IO,

Thanks for the feedback! I was puzzled at first by your comment that I should \"orchestrate the harmonies individually\" etc., since that\'s what I do just about all the time. But then I went back and looked at what I\'d done in the fast part. In an attempt to avoid the machine gun effect, I split the first violins\' 16th notes onto four tracks - track 1 plays the first sixteenth, track two the second, etc. - with three-note chords on each 16th. Each track then gets its own variation on up/down bow. That does a fair job of getting rid of the machine gun effect, I think, but the chords on each track do end up sounding a bit homogenized. So I probably would need twelve tracks, just for the first violins, to make that section work! I\'m not inclined to go to that much more effort with this piece, though; it\'s on to the next learning experience!

I\'m really grateful for the feedback. It\'s incredibly helpful to have another pair of ears, especially such discerning ones. My own ears get numb from listening to the same thing over and over.

I believe that realverb is in an formats now (direct x, rtas, mas, tdm). Someone correct me if I\'m wrong.

Donnie

Go Back to forum