• Register
  • Help

Topic: STOP SAMPLE PIRATING!!!!

Share/Bookmark

STOP SAMPLE PIRATING!!!!

Even after that heated exchanged between Ryan at Sonic Control and I a couple of days ago there continues to be pirate trafficing going on on his site.
    http://www.soniccontrol.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000085.html

This is from as late as today as has been up since November!

I post this for two reasons:

1. We all need to help try to stop this because (without a lengthy story that we\'ve all heard), it hurts us all.

2. Secondly to restate my point that Ryan at Sonic Control does not take these down as he finds them even though he says that he does. He came on here yesterday and cried about how he had been mistreated and how all he wants to do is help.

Well Ryan, help us all and take that crap off your site and ban these idiots that keep coming on.

Donnie
    DS Soundware

Re: STOP SAMPLE PIRATING!!!!

Hi Donnie,

It seems as if this continues on again. Providing we had missed a thread that is directly dealing with sample pirates trading commercial samples from commercial libraries (these threads are removed), it would actually be much more helpful if you were to have emailed us directly should you encounter a thread that you have an issue with. It would be much more useful to simply email us rather than to post a message like this on a forum that actually has very little to do with Sonic Control - it serves little purpose in making us aware of threads that you have a problem with and it clutters up other people\'s forums for no reason.

For some reason, I am doubting that if questionable posts by certain minority users were to be posted on other sites besides SC that you would immediately head to this board in an effort to point it out to the administrators without first emailing them privately. I fail to see what good that would do anyone, and I fail to see how this would get to the bottom of a problem you had with a thread on another site. Why not just email us privately if you come across something?

If you were interested in contributing to help in the cause of stopping piracy instead of seeking publicity on other sites secondary to Sonic Control for what appears to be yet another jab at SC for whatever personal reasons you may have, this would seem like a rational approach to me.

I\'m not sure what you don\'t understand about banning people, but you can\'t ban a single individual who logs into their Internet connection over dial-up with a dynamic IP. You can ban their IP address that they were using at the time that they made the initial post, but you can\'t prevent them from logging off, logging on again - in which case their ISP assigns them a new IP address. Illegal posts are taken down as soon as we can get to them, it\'s a fact. (Refer to the other, lengthy thread at http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/000311.html as I don\'t have the time to go over all of this again with you). As Doug brought up in the \"other\" post, we unfortunately can\'t act like real-time traffic cops, although once certain threads are deemed to be promoting illegal activities the only fair thing to do for legit users and manufacturers is remove the thread before things get out of hand.

Furthermore, there isn\'t anything wrong with users trading their own home-made samples as far as I know, which is what the users in that particular thread appear to be doing (the reason why we didn\'t think there was an overwhelming reason to remove it). Great sites like Worras place and others all promote the trading and free distribution of user created samples, so it\'s something that is obviously encouraged in the sample community. Again, if you have other issues or if you have questions about other threads, I do believe that you know how to reach us by email.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

Ryan,

Again I have to just wonder what is going through your mind. Number one the post in question contains people wanting to trade gigasampler and cool edit and yet it still remains. What of that can you not read? Number two I have emailed you in past only to go almost a month without hearing anything back. This is a fact and you know I have proof. Sean has also emailed you and you have not responded to him in a timely fashion either. Again, these are facts and you know it.

Just answer me this. What does everyone who visits your site gain by you hiding ip addresses? Nothing! The only reason they are hidden is to mask \"certain people\" posting over and over under different names. If this isn\'t true then view the ip addresses on your site right now and lets see how many of them are the same!

I\'ll finish this off by saying that I know you are looking for sympathy but you are not going to find it from me. You have dealt with Sean and I in an unprofessional and disrespectful way from the begining. I know that this doesn\'t make me look any better \"stooping\" to your level and replying to you but you are wrong in every case and people should know it. You dodge every question that we ask you and just try to play the victim. Sorry but most people are not fooled.

Donnie

Hi Donnie,

This is the last time that I\'m going to respond, I simply don\'t have the time to continually respond to this type of trolling.

You have only emailed us once in the past about such threads. This was on November 8th, 2000 and you were sent back a reply on November 8th, 2000. The threads that you brought to our attention were also dealt with immediately on the very same day. Regardless, I still fail to see what relevance this has to the users of this forum.

I\'m not sure how many times I have to reiterate this to you, but we choose to log the IP addresses of our users for security reasons. It\'s just our preference to not have the IP addresses of our users displayed with their posts. I\'m not completely sure what the issue is. There are hundreds, if not thousands of forums on the Internet that operate in the same manner with logged IP\'s. Massive companies with massive forums such as MP3.com, Electronic Arts, Dreamworks, Napster and others all operate this way. I suppose it\'s more of an aesthetic issue than anything. All kinds of random looking numbers (IP addresses) aren\'t really useful to the average guy who\'s asking about how to write a part for his string quartet, so why clutter the screen with them? Just my opinion, from a design aesthetic standpoint. Of course, this isn\'t a design nor a server administration forum so I really don\'t think it\'s worthwhile to go in-depth on design aesthetics.

You haven\'t been dealt with in an unprofessional nor a disrespectful manner, and in fact judging by the contents of the numerous flame mails that you have sent to us over the past few months, they would suggest that the opposite is true.

Regardless of what has been said, we\'re not going to \"adjust\" the review of your product to make it more favorable (even though it already is quite favorable, as you know). Everything that was brought up in the review is backed up by fact. Our position has not, and will not change on this.

Please stop these unnecessary and unprofessional attacks. I know that it is tiring for myself and while I don\'t want to speak for the users of this forum, I can pretty much guarantee you it\'s tiring for them to keep having to dig through these ridiculous and highly unnecessary posts.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at

Ryan,

I am going to continue to respond everytime you come back with incorrect facts. As usual you continue to avoid questions when they are asked of you.

Were there not people wanting to trade gigasampler and cool edit on that post? Yes, there are; yet you stll ignore it.

Secondly you keep bringing up the review you did. I haven\'t brought it up once. Did you read the topic of this thread? It says \"stop sample pirating\". This has nothing to do with a kid with no credentials reviewing a product he has no business speaking about (you have yet to answer this one too--about 6 times now). This has to do with people trading sample cd\'s and gigasamplers on your site.

As far as the ip addresses you can say all you want but the facts are you know if they were \"magically\" turned on that there would only be about 10 actual people on the board with 6 alias to each of them.

And yes I will keep this \"open\" as long as it goes on because people have a right to know what your all about.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 01-11-2001).]

Sorry Donnie, I\'m not biting this time. I don\'t have time to make up facts or anything else and I certainly do not have the time to participate in this message trolling. You can make all of the false personal attacks you want - it doesn\'t bother me, because I\'m considering the sources from which you got this so-called \"information\". What you\'ve said over the past few days and months I have found to be pretty demeaning, un-called for and yes, slanderous and defamatory because the accusations you are making are false and incorrect. The individuals who have given you this information have been warned in the past regarding the spreading of false, defamatory and slanderous accusations with advice from our attorney.

I will not be responding to any further correspondence from you - it appears to me that you are merely looking for an audience for these threads in which you are trolling.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at

Couldn\'t you guys take this somewhere else? Like maybe a phone conversation and then, when you\'ve battled it out, send us the results!

Ryan,

As I\'ve said before I will continue to correct you on these issues until you get them right.

-the thread in question contains individuals wanting to \"swap\" gigasampler and cool edit. What of this can you not read? And yet; it still stays up.

-you continue to dodge questions everytime they are asked of you and try to re-route them in some other manner.

-you keep saying that I and others are \"trolling\" your site for these post\'s. Come on Ryan, anyone knows all you have to do is do a search in the forum and it will bring all these up. Don\'t you know that? If so then why haven\'t you done this?

-you are whinning about how I am \"attacking\" you. I am not attacking you at all. You just refuse to do your job and keep your site clean.

The people on this forum who have gotten to know me over the 1 3/4 years that I have been on here know what kind of person I am. The only reason that I am continuing this on with you is to make people aware of what you are about. Some people on here are not going to understand that and are going to think less of me. This is unfortunate because I am only trying to resolve a problem.

Donnie

Not biting again Donnie, but I should say that the thread is gone because I feel that it is the only way that you will quit attacking SC and myself with these unrelenting and unnecessary public attacks (read your previous threads, you made quite a few defamatory remarks that are simply not true). You now have nothing to attack and these ridiculous trolling threads can be put to rest to the pleasure of everyone here, I suspect.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at

Oh guess what? The post is now gone!?!? So if there was nothing wrong with it and you have been defending yourself all this time and how I was \"attackig\" you unjustly then why is it gone now?

Just another example of what I\'ve been saying all along!

Go Back to forum