• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vitous String Ensembles weird stereo balances ?!?

Share/Bookmark

Vitous String Ensembles weird stereo balances ?!?

Hi all

I have just started using the Miroslav Vitous String Ensembles CD (converted from the Akai to Giga using CDXtract 3.42). I am a little perplexed with some of the patches oon here. For example, 23 VS 1 #, the stereo wav samples are seriously unbalanced, most of the signal being to the left. I even loaded the wavs into Wavelab to see if it was something to do with my set up but it is the samples themselves - hardly any level on the right channel. Now maybe this is something to do with orchestral panning ? I don\'t know, but it seems a bit odd to me -no other string samples I have (Ultimate Strings, Kirk Hunter, AO) have this problem. And if it is deliberate, its still not good because one of the keyranges in the upper section of the patch suddenly jumps to the centre of the panning anyway !! Comments anyone ? Are these glaring programming errors or am I missing something ?

Re: Vitous String Ensembles weird stereo balances ?!?

The Vitous Library is recorded with real orchester panning. Violins left, celli and basses right. In combination a realistic stereo picture appears.

OK. Well in that case there is some poor programming on here in places. On the patch I mentioned, one of the keygroups pops into the middle panning position and sticks out like a sore thumb. Easily corrected of course but still...doesn\'t inspire u with confidence.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jo-Seth:
    Comments anyone ? Are these glaring programming errors or am I missing something ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You\'re not alone in noticing this. There are a number of different samples, including some on the brass disc, that have this problem. Like you said, it\'s not something you can\'t adjust fairly easily.

Regards,
    F. Juma.

A friend of mine purchased the Miroslav String Ensembles recently and I went over to his studio to hear them and I have to say I was pretty disapointed. The sounds themselves sound very good, but why the hell did he record all of his instruments to come out in left and right speakers??? I know it is because he wanted to create a real orchestral image, but the strings just do not sound very full since they were recorded like this. I know I would be very mad if I spent 1600 bucks on this library.
    He tried to pan the instruments to the middle to see if they would sound more full on his monitors, but since they were recorded with left and right mic placement, the samples became transparent. So now he\'s stuck with his strings sounding, at least to me, almost very mono sounding.
    I told him he should have waited for Gigastrings. I actually feel pretty bad for him.

I agree Damon - I am pretty disappointed now overall with the Miroslav. Outrageously overpriced. I hope when new sets like Gigastrings come out Miroslav will have fewer and fewer buyers.

Go Back to forum