• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why different sound perception in various players?

Share/Bookmark

Why different sound perception in various players?

It is not fair. I mostly listen with those three players:

1. Adobe Audition
    2. The one in SONAR 8.5.3
    3. Windows (latest) Mediaplayer

Why do they sound different with the same info?

My personal rating is (scale of 10):
    1. gets 5
    2. gets 4
    3. gets 8

Anybody?

Raymond

Re: Why different sound perception in various players?

Rather subjective - what are you hearing that is different between them?

I did note that I hear a very low buzzing noise when I play a wav file through Sound Forge - but I don't hear this when I play it through windows media - or when played on another computer. I thought it must be the codec file used to play the file.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Possibly, the problem could be in the type of sound card. I personally don't hear any major differences on any of the players that I use, but then my ears are not what they used to be.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    It is not fair. I mostly listen with those three players:

1. Adobe Audition
    2. The one in SONAR 8.5.3
    3. Windows (latest) Mediaplayer

Why do they sound different with the same info?

My personal rating is (scale of 10):
    1. gets 5
    2. gets 4
    3. gets 8

Anybody?

Raymond
    Really--? Do you mean the song list player in Sonar?-- If so, I've never used it, so can't speak to that. But when I have my mix, what I hear from Sonar is exactly the same as what I hear in Sound Forge and Media Player - For me it's a "what you hear is what you get" situation.

Randy

Don't know what you mean by Song List Player, but it is the player (audio engine) I use when rendering.
    As RichR and Plowking suggested, it must be the soundcard, driver assignment or codec. Otherwise I don't see a reason why this happens.

Raymond

Don't know what you mean by Song List Player, but it is the player (audio engine) I use when rendering.
    As RichR and Plowking suggested, it must be the soundcard, driver assignment or codec. Otherwise I don't see a reason why this happens.

Raymond
    If you found more pleasant the Windows Media player, maybe you have some sound enhancement activated in the windows media player.
    ASIO drivers usually send the sound directly to your speakers "As Is". Instead of that, the normal windows drivers can modify the sound (bass enhancement, surround, etc). You can deactivate that enhancements in the advanced properties of playback devices or maybe in your soundcard mixer (that even can have reverb).
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    If you found more pleasant the Windows Media player, maybe you have some sound enhancement activated in the windows media player.
    ASIO drivers usually send the sound directly to your speakers "As Is". Instead of that, the normal windows drivers can modify the sound (bass enhancement, surround, etc). You can deactivate that enhancements in the advanced properties of playback devices or maybe in your soundcard mixer (that even can have reverb).
    Yes!! This is it. I only had the Dolby setting used (or set by whatever). I reset this to the first checkbox, Quieter......

Thank you so much.

Raymond

Yes!! This is it. I only had the Dolby setting used (or set by whatever). I reset this to the first checkbox, Quieter......

Thank you so much.

Raymond
    Excellent, Marce - I hadn't thought of those extra controls in the Media Player, they're definitely best left off to hear what a track really sounds like.

Glad he fixed that for you, Raymond. Though not everyone agrees with doing this, I also have my on board sound card disabled so everything on my computer plays through my interface. That, along with not having sound enhancements in the Media Player should get you the same playback no matter where you are, in Sonar, in an audio editor, or VLC, MP, anywhere.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Excellent, Marce - I hadn't thought of those extra controls in the Media Player, they're definitely best left off to hear what a track really sounds like.

Glad he fixed that for you, Raymond. Though not everyone agrees with doing this, I also have my on board sound card disabled so everything on my computer plays through my interface. That, along with not having sound enhancements in the Media Player should get you the same playback no matter where you are, in Sonar, in an audio editor, or VLC, MP, anywhere.

Randy
    just for future reference, if you want that any program using the standard windows drivers just give you a plain&dry sound like you created it, you need go here, and disable all the enhancements:

Marcelo Colina

That is a good tutorial on media players. Thank you Marcelo for posting this!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum