• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big wish

Share/Bookmark

Big wish

Hi Jeff,

I love the Authorized Steinway D. Especially the "Under Lid" Position.
    But for sounding right to my ears it needs a little EQ (less bass, more highs). But when I do so, some notes become rather metallic and sharp. For example the a#3, c4, g4 - a4, b4 - f#5. Is there a possibility to make these less metallic? Or to lower the EQ for these notes only?
    Or could you give the sample player the possibility to react only to midi note regions, so that we could use several Steinways parallel with different settings?
    Or could the Aria Player have this possibility (limitation to note regions)?
    Would be so nice...

Best,

Johannes

P.S. It's strange, but neither Aria nor GAS work as vsti plug ins in the sampler Independence. Kontakt (4 or 5) on the other hand does.

Re: Big wish

Hi Johannes
    I can't think of any easy solutions for you. There isn't any way to isolate specific notes and change the metallic sensation, and you wouldn't be able to selectively apply EQ to specific notes in any easy way.
    The not so simple solution is to modify the sfz file, but this isn't easy, and it's not something I could give any kind of extensive help on like you might need. For what it's worth, via sfz changes you could apply filters to select notes, or remove entirely certain notes from an sfz file and create a different named copy of the sfz file that has those notes - which would let you open two copies of the Steinway in Aria as you had asked. None of that is easy, and I wouldn't particularly recommend changing the sfz file either, since any update to the Steinway would probably overwrite any changes you made. If you find all this really interesting you could give it a try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi Johannes
    I can't think of any easy solutions for you. There isn't any way to isolate specific notes and change the metallic sensation, and you wouldn't be able to selectively apply EQ to specific notes in any easy way.
    The not so simple solution is to modify the sfz file, but this isn't easy, and it's not something I could give any kind of extensive help on like you might need. For what it's worth, via sfz changes you could apply filters to select notes, or remove entirely certain notes from an sfz file and create a different named copy of the sfz file that has those notes - which would let you open two copies of the Steinway in Aria as you had asked. None of that is easy, and I wouldn't particularly recommend changing the sfz file either, since any update to the Steinway would probably overwrite any changes you made. If you find all this really interesting you could give it a try though.
    I can't even find the sfz files of the steinway. In which folder do they reside?

The easiest would be having a note range parameter beside the channel drop down menu in aria...

That's a good feature request for Aria, which I'll pass on. The sfz files reside in C:\Program Files\Garritan\Steinway\Programs and probably the relevant file for you would be main.sfz, since this is the sfz file for the full piano. You can take a look but again it's not something I feel like is ordinarily going to be a good option for people, due to the complexity of sfz. But as I said if this interests you, then you could try it.
    As a long shot, perhaps your host application has a way to direct the MIDI for a certain note range to one MIDI channel, and to direct the MIDI for another note range to a second channel.
    Unfortunately the only ways I can think to do what you like today are either too difficult for me to feel like it's a good idea, or unlikely to be provided by your host application.

Go Back to forum